Its that time of year again - CSOs

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Its that time of year again - CSOs

Post by CaptnJack »

CSO = Combined Sewer Overflow
These are a mixture of roughly 90% stormwater and 10% untreated sewage. King County has some of the larger ones with real-time reporting of overflows.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/w ... rview.aspx

But Seattle has alot of smaller CSOs http://www.seattle.gov/util/groups/publ ... 008043.pdf
and of course general stormwater is nearly as bad as CSO effluent.

Be careful to avoid ingestion of water during and after storm events and if possible either avoid diving after storms or go to sites away from stormwater and CSO outfalls.

BTW, Cove 1-2-3 has several stormwater outfalls and 1 City CSO. The "Alki Pipeline" is actually a King County CSO and is not an "abandoned sewer line" as described in the Fischnaller Shore Dives book.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Re: Its that time of year again - CSOs

Post by mcloed121 »

Thanks for the heads up i did not know that thanks
Anthony
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

YW

While they seem kinda gross, the benefit of a combined system is that the polluted runoff from smaller storms goes to the treatment plant at West Point (by and large). Unfortunately its impossible to size the pipes and treatment plant big enough to handle the larger storms and that excess has to go someplace. The highest frequency of overflows is in the Duwamish area so not really in a diving area. But the Cove 1-2-3 area and along the southwest side of West Seattle have occasional overflows as well.

Tacoma and other cities (Bremerton) have combined systems too but I'm not familar enough with them to say much. E.g. If I was a frequent Les Davis area diver I'd look into what they have reporting wise.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

They'll all be puking brown goo by, oh, Monday at the latest.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

2 million people pooping in Puget Sound. I has a sad.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:YW

While they seem kinda gross, the benefit of a combined system is that the polluted runoff from smaller storms goes to the treatment plant at West Point (by and large). Unfortunately its impossible to size the pipes and treatment plant big enough to handle the larger storms and that excess has to go someplace. The highest frequency of overflows is in the Duwamish area so not really in a diving area. But the Cove 1-2-3 area and along the southwest side of West Seattle have occasional overflows as well.

Tacoma and other cities (Bremerton) have combined systems too but I'm not familar enough with them to say much. E.g. If I was a frequent Les Davis area diver I'd look into what they have reporting wise.
Actually Tacoma has separate storm and wastewater sewer systems. But the pipes mostly run side-by-side and we do have some areas where infiltration of stormwater into the sanitary system can overwhelm capacity and result in SSO's (sanitary system overflows) during large storms. Two of the dive sites that can be affected by these are Titlow and Day Island Wall.

It doesn't happen very often ... twice in the seven years I've been working for the City ... but when it does, those are good sites to avoid for a day or two after a period of very heavy rainfall.

As many of you know, the "pooper pipeline" just west of Les Davis is the outfall from one of our sewage treatment plants. The good news is that the water coming out of that pipe has been treated, and in many ways it's cleaner than the water in Commencement Bay that it's flowing into ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Grateful Diver wrote:As many of you know, the "pooper pipeline" just west of Les Davis is the outfall from one of our sewage treatment plants. The good news is that the water coming out of that pipe has been treated, and in many ways it's cleaner than the water in Commencement Bay that it's flowing into ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:idea: So if I dive it, can I take my reg out of my mouth and drink it?
You first, right? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BASSMAN wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:As many of you know, the "pooper pipeline" just west of Les Davis is the outfall from one of our sewage treatment plants. The good news is that the water coming out of that pipe has been treated, and in many ways it's cleaner than the water in Commencement Bay that it's flowing into ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ever tried drinking salt water? Its not going to stay down long...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

BASSMAN wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I said it's cleaner than Commencement Bay. That's like saying your garage floor is cleaner than your driveway ... would you consider eating off of either one?

I wouldn't ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Grateful Diver wrote:

As many of you know, the "pooper pipeline" just west of Les Davis is the outfall from one of our sewage treatment plants. The good news is that the water coming out of that pipe has been treated, and in many ways it's cleaner than the water in Commencement Bay that it's flowing into ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hey Bob, I noticed there is some work going on this week at the yellow buoy on the outlet pipe. Is that just general maintenance or storm related?
Life is good, let's dive!!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

DiverBob wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hey Bob, I noticed there is some work going on this week at the yellow buoy on the outlet pipe. Is that just general maintenance or storm related?
It's a repair to the pipe due to wear and deterioration ... nothing at all to do with the storm. There are some missing and broken bolts on some of the plates that holds the diffusers in place ... not coincidentally it was initially discovered by a scuba diver who sent me a video. I shared the video with one of our maintenance supervisors, who then contracted a commercial diver to do an inspection ... that happened a few months ago ... and then contracted out the work based on the commercial diver's assessment. The job's just now (finally) underway.

That's how it goes in government work ... everything goes through channels, and what you or I could probably have done in a week-end takes the better part of a year. But when your whole operation is run by permits, you have to satisfy the Dept. of Ecology before you can do anything ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

That is a great link, It is nice that it is updated real time.

Thanks
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.