Need info on Houston Texas

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Need info on Houston Texas

Post by dieseldude »

I have to go to Houston for some work related training. It looks way too close to water not to take some dive gear. Does anyone have recomendations for divesites or contacts in that area that might hook me up. I'd be in for 1, maybe 2 days of diving & it would make me real happy to get some doubles on my back & see the deeper side of an oil rig or two while I was there.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Need info on Houston Texas

Post by Tom Nic »

Check out the MV Spree and diving the Flower Garden Banks - if you have the time and can make it work it's supposed to be pretty amazing.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote:Check out the MV Spree and diving the Flower Garden Banks - if you have the time and can make it work it's supposed to be pretty amazing.
Ditto on that one! I haven't been there, but I'm told that it's really astonishing.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
shaggie
Avid Diver

Post by shaggie »

I've heard the Flower Gardens and Stetson bank are very nice, though I never was able to make it there myself. I can say from personal experience that the oil rigs are a fantastic dive also.

If you want to drive to Port Aransas then Out to Sea Adventures is a good outfit. Mike Miglini is the owner/ operator. He has a very spacious boat, plenty of room for gear and you are still able to move around. But it's not the quickest thing on the seas. To go to the deep water rigs (about 40 miles out and over 200' deep) it will take about 4 hours.

For an operator closer to Houston, I dove once with Keith Love of Bluewater Safaris. He has a 36' contender with two big ass outboards that really move! Not much room on deck is the trade off. He is berthed at the Freeport marina.

I highly recomend both of these guys. Very professional. Ever thought of spearfishing? Red snapper season will soon be here!

Feel free to PM me if I can be of anymore help.

John
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I've heard the flower garden is the place to see whale sharks if the timing is right.
shaggie
Avid Diver

Post by shaggie »

If you can get out to the TFG in early spring (most trips cancel due to rough conditions) you can see one of natures greatest attractions; the hammerheads schooling.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Any shore diving?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Not from what I hear. You have to be several miles offshore to find deep water
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Houston isn't actually on the water, you have to drive down to Galveston to get to the water.

I spent 4 months there when I was going to The Ocean Corporation. We drove inland to go diving in lakes and rivers. Never went to the ocean for diving.
Dave Mitchell
Avid Diver

Post by shaggie »

No, not much shore diving there. Some people dive the jetties at Port Aransas and one or two other sites, but the vis usualy very bad except on those rare summer days when the blue water rolls in all the way to shore. You also might want to check out www.scubaboard.com in the Texas Swamp Divers forum. That question has been a topic several times.