Octopus survey weekend

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Octopus survey weekend

Post by gomi_otaku »

Don't forget to report all your GPO sightings this weeked (17-19) to the Seattle Aquarium for the census! Last year there were either a very low amount of sightings, or nobody bothered to report them.
gomi_
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Octopus survey weekend

Post by Grateful Diver »

gomi_otaku wrote:Don't forget to report all your GPO sightings this weeked (17-19) to the Seattle Aquarium for the census! Last year there were either a very low amount of sightings, or nobody bothered to report them.
gomi_
FWIW - there seems to be a scarcity of large GPO's about the usual haunts lately. Haven't seen a large one at Day Island Wall for quite some time. Same goes for Redondo and Cove 2. Up until a few months ago, they were common as weeds at all three of those sites.

That makes me wonder where they went ... is that dude who was harvesting them from dive sites still doing so?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Octopus survey weekend

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Grateful Diver wrote:
That makes me wonder where they went ... is that dude who was harvesting them from dive sites still doing so?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I don't know if he's still at it or not. BUT, from informal observsation, I have seen a large GPO at Redondo since I saw him harvesting there a few years ago. He was taking one from under the first boat.

If I had that day to do all over again....

Jenn
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Planning to do a 2 octopus search/survey dives at 3TN this weekend!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!