Yakima area diving

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
bnboly
Submariner

Yakima area diving

Post by bnboly »

I'm going to be staying a week in Yakima quite a few times during the next few months - I'm wondering if there is anywhere local to go diving?
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Yakima area diving

Post by mz53480 »

Not really.
Clear Lake (White Pass) is about as close as I think you'll get.
There's a dive club in Yakima, but they mostly travel elsewhere to dive.
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Post by in_minsk_we_trust »

I dove in a pond covered in green slime off of the 16th Ave exit. Wouldn't recommend it unless you are really into old beer cans and bottles.

Think that missile silo dive is only an hour or 2 from there....
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Good afternoon,

Diving here in Yakima is quite limited. One lake/pond used at times is at 40th Avenue & Fruitvale. Need to watch out for the fishing people when in the water there. Summertime, as it warms up, brings the algae too.

The Atomic Ducks Dive Club in the Tri-Cities, check their web site as they list a few places they dive on the Columbia River.

If you are in Yakima on the second Tuesday of the month, join us at the dive club meeting and dinner. 6:30 PM, El Porton on Tieton Drive & 48th Avenue.

Also, the club is doing a pond clean up dive on May 21st, between 9-1 am. You are welcome to join in.

Best to you,

PapaZ
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

PapaZ wrote: The Atomic Ducks Dive Club in the Tri-Cities, check their web site as they list a few places they dive on the Columbia River.
We don't have much. Here are your best bets in the Tri-Cities.

"The Channel" is a roughly 1 mile Columbia River drift dive in Richland.
Today's conditions: 46F. Visibility roughly 7ft.
Description: 1-3knot current depending on release from upstream dams. More in spring. Less in fall. Before dams widened the river the natural channel was narrow and deep. The top of the channel walls can be found at a depth of approximately 25ft. The bottom of the channel varies in depth from 35-70ft. Walls are clay and highly figured. Large and small boulders litter the bottom of the channel. You may see pikeminnow, channel catfish, trout, salmon, and smallmouth bass. Or you may not. You may also see sturgeon but very few divers have.

"Goose Lake" is a large spring-fed pot-hole near Othello.
Today's conditions: 37F. Visibility roughly 5ft.
Description: No current. Entry is relatively easy (solid lava and columnar basalt) Unique attraction: A basalt bluff rims the East end of the lake and over the years many cars have been pushed off to fall into the lake 20-30ft below. Cars can be found at the base of the bluff from 65ft and deeper.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Gonna have to remember the meeting night - will most likely be there for at least 1. Thanks for the info.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!