Newbie planning Edmonds UWP dive, questions...

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Matt S.
Submariner

Newbie planning Edmonds UWP dive, questions...

Post by Matt S. »

(Crossposted at scubaboard/Orca Bait)

I am hoping to dive Edmonds Underwater Park tomorrow with my wife. We are VERY new divers, having only made 1 simple dive on our own after finishing OW class. In fact, all of our dives so far have been at Cove 1.

I have my copy of Northwest Shore Dives and I am trying to plan an outing to Edmonds tomorrow, but I have a couple of questions.

Tides
From what I have read around here, you want to dive EUWP at high tide since it's a pretty shallow site. But I can't figure out which tide station to use (http://www.mobilegeographics.com/tides/ ... ides.shtml). Can I just use the Seattle values? It looks like high tides are going to be while it is dark, so the best time to dive with some light would be around 8 AM? Tides would be up somewhat around 4 PM too, but that is close to max flood.

Currents
I found some material online that says currents aren't a big deal here. I assume I should still try to plan around a slack current. 8 AM is about halfway to max ebb current though, is that a deal breaker?

Dive Plan?
I was planning on getting a map at the LDS there, and simply following the ropes out and back, staying far away from the ferry. But it's hard to figure this part out with no actual experience at the site.

I greatly appreciate any advice. I'm learning this as I go, dive planning (WRT currents and tides) is not covered much in PADI OW.

Maybe we should just hit Cove 2 instead, around 8 AM or 3-4 PM?

Am I overthinking this? :)

Thanks again.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

In my humble opinion, the UW Park is really not a beginning level dive. I know there are plenty of folks who would probably disagree with me though. You can run into pretty good currents there on a big exchange day and if diving at times other than slack. That combined with significant surface swimming (or long walks on low tide) and the proximity of the ferry, newbies can run into trouble there if they are not with someone who knows the site and how to dive it.

As new divers, I believe there are better choices when venturing out on your own for the first time.

Just my 2 cents.

Jenn
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i agree with jenn. the oil dock is also a good one for beginners. granted you'll have the surface swim and the long walk on the low tides. and the ferry is not as close compered to the e.u.p.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Three Tree North and Redondo are both good sites for beginners with lots of info on the web for diving them, although they are a bit south... by the airport.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Thanks a bunch for the replies. It sounds like it will be wise to pass on Edmonds UWP until we are diving with more experienced folks... At dive #2 I want a big bathtub.

I checked out Redondo online and it looks pretty cool too, so I think we'll head there. It seems easier to navigate than Cove 2 and there seems to be a lot of stuff to look at in the 40-50 ft. range.

(Getting in the water at 10 AM makes the tide at Redondo about +6 ft. The lowest tide, around noon, is about 3.5 ft. Web guides say current's not a factor there.)

Thanks again, I can't believe how helpful our locals are. :)
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Re: Newbie planning Edmonds UWP dive, questions...

Post by RSdancey »

EUP is a fantastic dive for new divers. The depths are shallow, the dive areas are very well marked, the site provides a fantastic suite of services (bathrooms, food, etc.), and the stuff you see is AMAZING.

I have been to this site more than a dozen times, in all sorts of conditions, in all seasons. I have had to call one dive because of poor visibility. Other than that, I have never experienced any challenges related to tides, current, or any other concern.

This is absolutely a very reasonable dive for brand new divers who proceed with due caution & reasonable attention to detail.

Here are some excellent resources for EUP:

http://www.pnwscuba.com/directions.htm#edmonds

You should practice dive planning. It is a skill you'll need on lots of northwest shore dives, and this is a good place to get experience.

I would use this link:

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow. ... ds&units=f

to track tides. Typically, I like to be in the water about a half-hour before a peak or trough, and plan to exit no later than a half-hour after the peak or trough. For most sites in the Puget Sound, that's a general rule of thumb. Each site can have its own peculiarities, so you want to do your research for each new place you dive.

Typically, the water flows north to south when the tide is coming in, and south to north when it is going out. You want to plan your dives so that you swim "up current". If you swim with the current, you will find that the swim back to your entry point is much harder and can take much longer. The danger is that if you don't turn your dive at the right point you could find your gas supply running low before you return to your exit.

If you swim "up current", then your swim back to your exit point should take less time & use less gas than the first half of your dive, which means your dive plan is a bit simpler.

When you look at a tide table, the power & force of the current created by the tide is related to the difference in the height of the water as the tide exchanges. The larger the difference, the stronger the current. Some tide tables will give you an estimated value in terms of knots of speed rather than changes in depth. The more knots, the stronger the current.
Matt S. wrote: Dive Plan?
I was planning on getting a map at the LDS there, and simply following the ropes out and back, staying far away from the ferry. But it's hard to figure this part out with no actual experience at the site.
Unlike virtually every other dive site in the Puget Sound, EUP has an on-site map that clearly shows where the "sights" are. In addition, marker buoys have been installed at certain points of key interest, and cables have been laid on the bottom in a large grid which allows even novice divers to have some visual references when navigating.

You will find this map posted on the structure at the site that houses the restrooms. The local Underwater Sports also has maps & advice for new divers on the site.

Two issues you must consider:

The EUP is a long, long swim from shore. It can take 10 minutes of swimming to get to the first row of buoys. More adventurous dives to further points require an even longer surface swim.

Going out, this is not necessarily too much trouble for most divers. But after being in the water for a half-hour or so on a dive, you may find the swim back quite tiring. If you are diving a dry suit, you may also want to think about restroom issues.

Secondly, if you are a brand new diver, you may want to make your first dives with some friends with more experience. Lots of people dive EUP regularly; post a message here on the board to see if anyone is diving the area the same time you want to - you may meet some new friends, and have a chance to dive with others with a bit more experience.

My very first dive after being certified was at EUP. I was stunned at the difference between EUP and Alki. And after more than 150 dives, I've yet to see any bigger fish in the Pacific Northwest.

Good luck, and good diving!

Ryan
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Matt,
How did your dive go?
Where are you diving next?
Welcome to the Club! =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I did EUP for my first dive out of open water. It was fun. I didn't get past 35 feet but saw lots of Cabazons and other life. It didn't seem too difficult but, I didn't go out far either.

Today, I have no interest in doing it. I have been there at least a dozen times and fighting current and a long surface swim doesn't make it worth it. It is also a long drive from my home in Puyallup. If I lived closer, it would be worth it for me to do it again.

I think for shore diving in the South Sound, Titlow is the best place for seeing life. It is shallow, lots to see and although current sensivite, easy to get back into shore. Because of the currents, Titlow can be a challenge but I take newbees there on good tide days because you can't beat it for life. Just looking at all the recent photos of Titlow everyone has posted, remindes me how much I love it.

As for easy places to dive, Redondo is great. Good parking, restrooms, easy entry/exit and rarely any current. There is always something cool to see and discover there too. =D>

Matt, when you can get onto a dive charter, go for it! Diving from a boat is the way to go.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

the cabazones where fun to be around when my brother and i dove e.u.p. this cabazone almost took my brothers mask off ( ok so he swam hella close to his face ). it would have made for a great shot but the battery went dead.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Edmonds is a great choice for newer divers. Ryan hit the details pretty well on his post up there in the thread.

Point is this; be a prepared, informed diver and EUP will treat you very well.

Sea ya!
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Well, we did Redondo. Nice site, plenty to see on a return trip. Vis was 15-20 ft. Temp was 48-46F.

The trip was uneventful, though we got a little disoriented on the steep slope and ended up touching 84 ft. It was really easy to overshoot 60 ft, I'll have to be more careful next time. (We were following the thick rope and ended up at the skull.)

Thanks again for all the advice, we're looking forward to tackling Edmonds soon.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

i wish I knew you were diving there today. I was sitting around all afternoon, wanting to get in the water!
if you submerge at the end of the pier and then follow the rope down to 85-88 feet first and then come back up to the 50' you should turn north (left). This will take you to the other side of Salty's and a lot more structure to explore. You can end your dive on that side of the pier and walk back to the parking lot.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY