I want to dive this weekend...

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Blaiz
Pelagic

I want to dive this weekend...

Post by Blaiz »

...anyone want to show me their local sites? I've got Saturday Sunday and Monday off, so I can travel and stay somewhere.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: I want to dive this weekend...

Post by renoun »

Me too. Sadly the viz is on a downward trend now. Still I'm sure that we can figure something out.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Where would you like to go? I'm close to Redondo, Three Tree, Alki coves and a few others. Pick a couple and let's go exploring.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Hey Dave,

I am interested - have the entire day free Saturday. I would like to Dive Alki, or Three Tree - unless they are close enough to dive both in a day?

I am doing the Redondo Club Dive on Saturday the 9th, so would prefer something other than Redondo - but being a Scube Noob - I just need to get my fins wet again.

@Dave - Anthony and I were going to dive Friday evening, but not looking like that is going to happen (blame my baby mama) :) I have a message into him, telling him about this post, and seeing if he can dive Saturday.

Let me know ASAP - I have to pick up rental gear... :)

Scube Noob
We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anything.
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

there is a dive going on at 10am saltwater park if any of you want to go i'm going there cause it's a tlsea club dive so i can get my tanks filled for free but anyone can go.
Anthony
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Noob,
Far as I know, Anthony and I are doing Cove 2 tomorrow evening (Friday). You might see if you can get in on that Saltwater dive he mentioned, because it's a great site. The surface swim, or the walk if the tide is out, is LONG, but once you get out to the reefs it's worth it. Current can also be a factor, so when one goes to Saltwater it's a good idea to plan for most of the day.

I'm open to Alki and/or Three Tree; they're close enough together to hit them both in one day, depending on currents at Three Tree. There's a slack at Three Tree on Saturday at 12:35, so if we splashed there at noon, after that we could head over to Alki and do a second dive there most any time in the afternoon.

Blaiz? Whaddaya think?
Dave

--
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Wow - now I am torn....I want to dive all three on Saturday. Has anyone figured out how to clone yourself yet?

Where do I have the best chance of seeing Wolf Eel's and Octo's ?

All 3 Dives sound Awesome.
We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anything.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

You wanna see wolf eels and Octos? Go to Sund Rock.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Scube_Noob wrote:Where do I have the best chance of seeing Wolf Eel's and Octo's ?
I think it might be possible to put you onto a GPO in a newbie appropriate depth at Three Tree but I'm not aware of adult wolf eels at Saltwater State Park, Three Tree, or Alki. I have seen juvenile wolf eels in many locations but most places I have seen adults in dens have been locations that are not suitable for brand new divers but I'm not familiar with Sund Rock.

I still don't know what I'm doing yet but I hope this helps you figure out your weekend.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Sund Rock would take her to depths at an average of between 60 - 75 feet (either north wall or south wall). Very minimal current. Tons of big sized eels and Octo places at both walls.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

coulterboy wrote:Sund Rock would take her to depths at an average of between 60 - 75 feet (either north wall or south wall). Very minimal current. Tons of big sized eels and Octo places at both walls.
Agreed. There's a group diving there on Saturday from 9 AM to about noon, so that would be a good opportunity to hook up with some big brother/sister divers as well. If you can get over there, that'd be my recommendation.
Dave

--
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

coulterboy wrote:Sund Rock would take her to depths at an average of between 60 - 75 feet (either north wall or south wall). Very minimal current. Tons of big sized eels and Octo places at both walls.
"Her?"
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Sund Rock sounds awesome. I think I will wait, and plan that when (a) I have a bit more experience and (b) I have a camera / video camera....

Prolly do Salt Water this weekend. Sounds Cool - level appropriate. :)

Dave - maybe one day during the week we can hit Three Tree?
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

coulterboy you want to join us at saltwater park and dave you want to?
Anthony
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

hey dave, sorry, dang work heats up and then i cant get on to check my threads. ive been to three tree a couple of times, dont think i've done alki. i know i havent done any of the coves. in the south pretty much i've done three tree for four dives and redondo half a bazillion. so really i'd just as soon skip those two.... would you be up for other sites?
The student was ready.

coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Anthony,

I have my in-laws from Wyoming dude? It's a maybe for me. If I show up, good. If not, don't wait up for me.
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Post by jaytrigg27 »

Coulterboy, hope to see that light of yours on Saturday, if you can borrow some time from the in laws. if not Saturday perhaps next week.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Blaiz wrote:hey dave, sorry, dang work heats up and then i cant get on to check my threads. ive been to three tree a couple of times, dont think i've done alki. i know i havent done any of the coves. in the south pretty much i've done three tree for four dives and redondo half a bazillion. so really i'd just as soon skip those two.... would you be up for other sites?
Cove 2 is always good, and I can show you a mama octopus. Saltwater is always good; 3 reefs, no waiting :angelblue: Or, if you feel like heading down toward Tacoma, there's Les Davis. Or up north, one can make a whole day out of Edmonds...
Dave

--
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

dwashbur wrote:
Blaiz wrote:hey dave, sorry, dang work heats up and then i cant get on to check my threads. ive been to three tree a couple of times, dont think i've done alki. i know i havent done any of the coves. in the south pretty much i've done three tree for four dives and redondo half a bazillion. so really i'd just as soon skip those two.... would you be up for other sites?
Cove 2 is always good, and I can show you a mama octopus. Saltwater is always good; 3 reefs, no waiting :angelblue: Or, if you feel like heading down toward Tacoma, there's Les Davis. Or up north, one can make a whole day out of Edmonds...
hmmm edmonds you say?
The student was ready.

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Could do Edmonds. Afternoon currents look pretty decent all three days. Since you have the three day weekend we really should get you to Cove 2 also, but one of my mottoes is "we are nothing if not flexible." Thoughts?
Dave

--
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Blaiz wrote:
dwashbur wrote:
hmmm edmonds you say?
Diving the Marina breakwater could make a decent alternate too. I have friends expecting a baby tonight so although I'm interested in Diving my schedule is up in the air a bit but I'll be watching the thread.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

renoun wrote:
Blaiz wrote:
dwashbur wrote:
hmmm edmonds you say?
Diving the Marina breakwater could make a decent alternate too. I have friends expecting a baby tonight so although I'm interested in Diving my schedule is up in the air a bit but I'll be watching the thread.
I hadn't thought of the marina. I've never been there. I used to dive the oil dock a lot, when there was one :crybaby: :angry: Might have to check that out. Thanks!
Dave

--
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Hmmm....Edmonds is down the hill from me, and there are full tanks in my apartment...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

lets get some edmonds in then. How about I get therw at ten am and have three tanks in my car. Who is gonna meet me? :)
The student was ready.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

dwashbur wrote:I hadn't thought of the marina. I've never been there. I used to dive the oil dock a lot, when there was one :crybaby: :angry: Might have to check that out. Thanks!
The Marina wall is a fun site, but tomorrow is sure to have a LOT of boat traffic with it being a nice 3 day weekend. Combine that with opening weekend for crabbing, and the area around the marina is sure to be busy with boat traffic. I'm not saying don't dive it, but use caution and common sense. (Planning a free ascent would be a bad plan)
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman