Mukilteo currents?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Mukilteo currents?

Post by anndornfeld »

We're thinking of diving the T-Dock for crab tomorrow midday. My book points me to the Admiralty Inlet table, and the current looks serious tomorrow. But I also read that the T-Dock currents are usually mellow.

Any advice?
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Re: Mukilteo currents?

Post by Jeff2Dive »

Port of harbor for me is the T-dock with better than 50 dives there. I've dove in the steepest of tide changes and and at dead slack. 98% of the time the current is easily manageable if ur legs are in shape.

That being said I've also had to pull my knife out in a hurry and dig in and hold on for 2 min when a freak current started to take the sand away, literally. Strange thing, it was pretty much the slack. But that was one time.

While it's ok to dive in the change, you must still be wary of the ocean, which by it's nature is unpredictable and can change during the course of the dive, even at slack and no matter the info. That's why it's a "lets see how it goes." and wisely decend by the peir where you are more protected than out in the open.

The Lord gave us a brain to use for more than just a hat rack
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

you can dive the T dock side pretty much anytime ....
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I've been diving the tdoc more times than I care to admit. The current is pretty much always diveable. Even at its worst it can be kicked w/out too-much trouble.

That said, 2-out-of-many dives I experienced a freak current that comes out of nowhere. It lasts only a few mins. I always felt it might be the ferry trying to prop-wash me.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

trevorrowe wrote:I've been diving the tdoc more times than I care to admit. The current is pretty much always diveable. Even at its worst it can be kicked w/out too-much trouble.

That said, 2-out-of-many dives I experienced a freak current that comes out of nowhere. It lasts only a few mins. I always felt it might be the ferry trying to prop-wash me.
I agree with H20 Doc and Trevor. T-Dock is divable any time.

One day, I was having my tanks filled at UW Sports in Seattle, and this guy, supposedly have dived the T-Docks countless times, told us his story that week that he experienced one of his worst dives at the T-Docks. As he was ending his dive approaching shallowing waters, he said, he was tossed and tumbled (upwards, sideways, rolled over, etc..,from any direction)like he's never experienced before. He felt like he was in a washing machine. Frankly speaking, and I quote him, "he thought he was going to die". He was also being slammed against logs. So, that's his story. I've never experienced it, other than what Trevor has claimed. So, diver beware! There is always the "X" factor when you dive. As soon as we assure another diver that it's an okay place to dive, I hate to say this, "S...t" happens.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

Yep anytime \:D/ Thats why I love the T-dock... that and stuff is always comming and going there... with the current.

just be sensible about it.
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

I can withstand freak washing machine action. I will not, however, be pleased if any crabs escape.

Thanks, you guys!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

+1 for the T-dock and it's pretty forgiving currents, though as long as you have your crab bag closed top and bottom escapee's shouldn't be a problem... Don't even ask how I know... :angry:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

trevorrowe wrote:I've been diving the tdoc more times than I care to admit. The current is pretty much always diveable. Even at its worst it can be kicked w/out too-much trouble.

I remember one of these. It was Pez, H2O doc, Mattley, Jake, Fishstiq and ???? We were at the jungle gym playing around and then out of nowhere came this ripping current. We all just hung on the jungle gym and it stopped after a couple of minutes. It was really strange. It was pulling towards the oil dock and was very very strong!

Those of you who have had that experience; has it always gone towards the oil dock? Maybe there is some truth to the prop-wash thing?
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

In my limited experience, it seems to be related to the ferry arrival, and it seems most powerful when the tide is low. YMMV
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

In addition to the above mentioned, I've found that the current can sometimes be much stronger if you head to the boat at 130' or are out at the oil dock, relative to the T-dock.

Lauri
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

sheahanmcculla wrote: We were at the jungle gym playing around and then out of nowhere came this ripping current. We all just hung on the jungle gym and it stopped after a couple of minutes. It was really strange. It was pulling towards the oil dock and was very very strong!
The Kraken. :mermaid:

Also responsible for the freak downdrafts and crazy currents at Redondo and TTN. :toimonster:

:yipes:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

trevorrowe wrote: 2-out-of-many dives I experienced a freak current that comes out of nowhere. It lasts only a few mins. I always felt it might be the ferry trying to prop-wash me.
Prop wash from the Paulicuda?