Titlow - Or Bust!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Hi all,

I've been wanting to dive Titlow for a long time now but would like to go with someone who knows the site and knows what they're doing.

Anyone experienced with Titlow who could dive it this weekend available? My schedule is pretty free!

Thanks,

Jeremy
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by H20doctor »

Any south end diver should be able to help.. Cardiver, bassman, etc.. Etc..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I am far from an expert on the tides and currents but I do know Titlow is a dive site subject to the currents.

From looking at the charts over at http://www.planyourdive.com I am not sure its the best weekend to visit Titlow.
Seems like there is going to be quite an current going on.

If I am reading the chart wrong -- Please let me know, I want to learn :)
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I think your pretty much right on. Titlow is not a site that you dive casually. Only on a low exchange day and there is an adjustment to the slack time also but I haven't done it in awhile so I can't remember the offset. It's pretty much the same as Day island wall. If it's safe to do DIW they Titlow should be good.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Titlow MIGHT be okay on the 9th, 10th and 11th of next month in the middle of the day. Try to dive it about 45 minutes before slack at the north end of the Narrows.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

What is the nature of the danger? I've never dove a current sensitive site before.

Do you get in when the current is slow and halfway through the dive the current suddenly gets big? Seems like you could get in slowly, see how the current is, and head for shore if the current ever gets very strong. I'm guessing the current must get stronger faster than what you can do about it though?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Jeremy wrote:What is the nature of the danger? I've never dove a current sensitive site before.

Do you get in when the current is slow and halfway through the dive the current suddenly gets big? Seems like you could get in slowly, see how the current is, and head for shore if the current ever gets very strong. I'm guessing the current must get stronger faster than what you can do about it though?
Titlow is a CURRENT SENSITIVE DIVE SITE. It should be done on a small exchange, usually less than 2-3 feet either side of slack.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Jeremy wrote:What is the nature of the danger? I've never dove a current sensitive site before.
The main danger is that one can be swept away from the only safe entry/exit. At some sites there is concern about being swept in to recreational, shipping, or ferry traffic. Sometimes other exit points are merely inconvenient (private property, long walks, etc.) but frequently there are issues such as climbing boulder rip-raps or walking on train tracks that carry more substantial risk. There is the possibility of going on a long swim (drift) and being unable to self rescue thus being dependent on a chance encounter with a rescuer or somebody knowing enough about your dive plan to launch a successful Search and Rescue effort. Finally places like the Tacoma Narrows and Deception Pass where there whirlpools and down-welling currents.

One can mitigate some of these risks by understanding the nature of how current affects a specific dive site and diving at appropriate times. There are some sites where one can dive a wider range of conditions with a scooter or live boat pickup. Identifying site appropriate depth, run time, and travel limits is usually applicable. In some cases one may be able to identify alternate exit points or back eddys that will make screwing somewhat safer. One also needs to be aware of areas to avoid (for example an adjacent ferry dock or marina entrance). If there are portions of the site that aren't safe to surface in the dive plan needs to include appropriate gas reserves to swim to a safer location before surfacing. Finally one may want to prepare for some contingencies by carrying (and knowing how to use) additional equipment to signal their location such as large SMBs, strobes, dye markers, VHF radios, PLBs, etc. One can also ensure that a trustworthy person is aware the details of their dive plan, when they intend to check in post-dive, and how to launch a search if the don't make their check-in call.

Please don't be one of the people who has a harrowing experience due to ignorance, there is plenty of mentoring here to help you. Although we don't have obvious cues such as big surf many of our sites are not benign and conditions can rapidly change. Even places like Edmonds Underwater Park that are touted as "safe" dives aren't as simple as they appear.
Last edited by renoun on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Do the currents pop up suddenly? Seems like if you were being cautious you could abort the dive whenever you felt the current picking up. And you wouldn't bother going very far if the current was feeling strong.

Just curious if the danger comes more from people trying to dive regardless of the current or if the danger is coming more from a sudden increase in the current that you can't abort the dive quickly enough from.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Jeremy wrote:Do the currents pop up suddenly?
They can. I've been on dives where it suddenly felt like Mother Nature flipped the switch.
Jenn
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

At Titlow for example you can be diving the pilings and be in the lee of the current and not feel its full force until you attempt to swim back to shore. The same thing can happen at places like Day Island Wall along the wall. At some sites the may be little current in the deeper water and the current in shallow water can be ripping. Here is the thing about currents at most current sensitive sites they current never really stops it just changes direction. My suggestion for getting familiar with current is dive a drift dive with a boat.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Look at a map and you will see why they call it the "Narrows". Where a 2 or 3 knot current is not bad at most sites, it is extremely powerful at the Narrows, Titlow, Day Island, Sunrise, Fox Island East Wall. All of these sites are close enough to the Narrows, where a lot of water is moving through (volume). If not careful, you could get sucked far away from the entry/ exit like Renoun said. Titlow or Bust is not a good concept.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Thanks for all the advice here! Obviously the point is not to dive no matter what but to dive intelligently and safely.

What I don't want to do is forever avoid sites like this. I would like to add them to my experience and continue to grow as a diver. That's why I am really hoping to find someone who has experience with this site and who I can accompany. I want to learn how to dive the site safely and have fun doing it. Not sure why Titlow or bust is such a bad concept. If this weekend is bad because of the exchanges that's fine. I don't know what acceptable exchanges are to dive at Titlow, where to get that info in the first place, or how to apply the corrections.

But I want to learn! Or bust. ;)
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Jeremy,

I dove with you last weekend at EUP. That dive was great with hardly any current at all to call it a nuisance. However, I have dove EUP (by the hundreds) enough that it could be crazy as hell coming back in sometimes (even dumping all the air and crawling back in). I take it, you have experienced this too at EUP. My observation with you was that you seemed to be a solid recreational diver. However, Renoun has pefectly summed up all that could happen wrong at any of those well known current sensitive dive sites. Don't worry, you will be able to check it off your bucket list one of these days as a place you've dived. I may be even there to dive with you too. There's actually peeps that post to dive those sites down south frequently. On the same token, there would also be peeps that would comment whether that posted planned dive is a "safe enough dive" to push through. We are all in this forum to help, educate, and make sure no one is in danger or in harm's way during the dive.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

So, First let me say I am glade you asked for someone experienced to show you the site. This shows good sense. However it is obvious from your questions that you need further training before tackling a site like Titlow. First point, A strong swimmer in full dive gear will find 1/4 knot tiring at best and can only maintain that for a short time and will soon be blasting through air at an alarming rate. Anything more than that and your heading for trouble. The narrows is known to have currents in excess of 6 knots. Take a look at the maps and you'll see that Titlow is right in the mainstream of the narrows. The red arrows indicate the maximum current area. Guess where Titlow is? To add to this there are eddy currents which can come from any direction. In answer to your question, Yes they can change suddenly and without warning. In addition on higher exchange days it sometimes changes without any real slack at all.

It is good that you are curious but another big C word should also be high on your list. CAUTION Never take warnings from those more experienced lightly. This is a serious sport that doesn't treat chance takers lightly.

If you are thinking of adding Titlow to your done that list Check in at Tacoma Scuba and ask wally if it's a good day and what time he would dive it. That's also a good spot to get advice and find a dive buddy.
Titlow1.jpg
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

FlyinV wrote:I am far from an expert on the tides and currents but I do know Titlow is a dive site subject to the currents.

From looking at the charts over at http://www.planyourdive.com I am not sure its the best weekend to visit Titlow.

So I've started digging into this as well. My hypothetical example would be a dive this Saturday. Looking at the attached it appears the optimal time to dive would be to hit the water at 2:00PM or maybe shortly before. That will be the time of least current and heading towards projected slack.
http://www.planyourdive.com/Tides/Graph ... ormat=Full

I followed the reasoning and planning of the divemaster who planned a group dive at Titlow earlier this year found here:
http://www.meetup.com/MossBayDiveClub/events/16031400/

The magnitudes of the currents this weekend and when this divemaster went out appear similar to me.
Attachments
Titlow.jpg
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Jeremy wrote:
FlyinV wrote:I am far from an expert on the tides and currents but I do know Titlow is a dive site subject to the currents.

So I've started digging into this as well. My hypothetical example would be a dive this Saturday. Looking at the attached it appears the optimal time to dive would be to hit the water at 2:00PM or maybe shortly before. That will be the time of least current and heading towards projected slack.

I followed the reasoning and planning of the divemaster who planned a group dive at Titlow earlier this year found here:

The magnitudes of the currents this weekend and when this divemaster went out appear similar to me.
I'm sure that 1350 to 1400 would be a good time to enter at Titlow.
Have fun!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

coulterboy wrote:Jeremy,

I dove with you last weekend at EUP. That dive was great with hardly any current at all to call it a nuisance. However, I have dove EUP (by the hundreds) enough that it could be crazy as hell coming back in sometimes (even dumping all the air and crawling back in). I take it, you have experienced this too at EUP. My observation with you was that you seemed to be a solid recreational diver. However, Renoun has pefectly summed up all that could happen wrong at any of those well known current sensitive dive sites. Don't worry, you will be able to check it off your bucket list one of these days as a place you've dived. I may be even there to dive with you too. There's actually peeps that post to dive those sites down south frequently. On the same token, there would also be peeps that would comment whether that posted planned dive is a "safe enough dive" to push through. We are all in this forum to help, educate, and make sure no one is in danger or in harm's way during the dive.
Yes, I've been through some pretty bad currents at EUP. I'm sure Titlow would be a lot worse.

Speaking of peeps, it's probably not a great idea to meet some random person at a potentially dangerous site for a dive. lol

But definitely getting some great advice in this thread.
Last edited by Jeremy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

cardiver wrote:I'm sure that 1350 to 1400 would be a good time to enter at Titlow.
Have fun!
No Titlow-experienced buddy to go with bro...
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Jeremy wrote:

Did you happen to ask anyone who went on that dive how that plan worked out? :dontknow:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

selkie wrote: Did you happen to ask anyone who went on that dive how that plan worked out? :dontknow:
Good point. I see one of the divers who went on that dive is now a "former member"
:eek:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

According to my current program which is allot easier to read you would only get a 30 min period between -1/2kt and + 1/2kt and that would depend on your hitting it right on. To me that's not a workable plan. If I can't get at least an hour within the max current limits I ain't diving. This is why I don't do Titlow anymore.

This is what I see on my program. The area between the yellow lines is the time you would have within that -1/2kt and + 1/2kt
narrows1.jpg
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Even worse, is looking at 2 other predictor sites, slack tide is between 1:30-3pm. Thats a big window.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Dusty, what window does your program give you for the afternoon slack on Monday Nov 14?

Conditions appear optimal around that time from what I can tell.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Probably as good as your going to get. This predictor is for the south end of the narrows so it should be pretty close but I would consult with Tacoma Scuba or some one who does this dive regularly to see if there is an offset needed.
Image1.jpg