Tides Tavern dock, New Years Day

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Tides Tavern dock, New Years Day

Post by RoxnDox »

I talked to the manager at the Tides today, and she gave the OK to do a dive off their dock on New Years Day as long as we have the safety flag, are aware of boat traffic, etc. Although they have all their tables and furniture put away for the winter, she also liked the idea of a bunch of divers standing around on the outside deck sipping a brewski... Especially after I mentioned the effect it might have on the warm non-diving customers inside having lunch and watching a bunch of nut cases crawl out of the cold water and walk up to place an order... :eek: :nutty:

Flood tide at 10:34 am (http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/gigh/2012-01-01), and there shouldn't be *too* many boats out in the Harbor at that time... Just thinking about going in and poking around for bottles or just to see what's around there.

Anyone else up for a wet way to ring in the year?

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Tides Tavern dock, New Years Day

Post by CaptnJack »

Cool idea, I'm dry for a few more weeks but it does sound like fun.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Sounds fun, keep me posted as things get nearer.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

I'll come down... Last year I rang in the New Year at Keystone... Do they have Guinness on tap??? I've a dive float we can use...

:partyman:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Alexitt wrote:I'll come down... Last year I rang in the New Year at Keystone... Do they have Guinness on tap??? I've a dive float we can use...

:partyman:
http://www.tidestavern.com/ourbar/beer.html They have a wide variety of choices for both liquid and solid foods :burntchef: And I've yet to have a bad meal there...

I just want to see the expressions on the inside-diners faces as we come up from the cold water to get our order :pirate:
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Yep...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'm going to try to do this one too! :supz:
One dive or two? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

2!

Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

I'm in for this one! I grew up in the Harbor, and the Tides Tavern was one of my old haunts.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

BASSMAN wrote:I'm going to try to do this one too! :supz:
One dive or two? :smt064
At least one! (I will try to get hold of another tank to make it two...)

Jim
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've got a couple of spare AL80's. thats the best I can do.

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Jeff Pack wrote:I've got a couple of spare AL80's. thats the best I can do.

Mucho Grassy-ass, Jeff, but unless Santa really comes thru with another HP100 under the tree I'll likely just get one from the dive shop for a second...

A second tanks and a BC (or BP/W) is all the major gear items I need to acquire. Then there are all the other littler bits & pieces to accumulate - Missus Santa's far more likely to get those than a tank :-/

Jim
onefish
Just Settling In

Post by onefish »

Do you have room for one more? I would like to join you guys for New Year's dive. Keith, we can even car pool together if you like, let me know.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

RoxnDox wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:I've got a couple of spare AL80's. thats the best I can do.

Mucho Grassy-ass, Jeff, but unless Santa really comes thru with another HP100 under the tree I'll likely just get one from the dive shop for a second...

A second tanks and a BC (or BP/W) is all the major gear items I need to acquire. Then there are all the other littler bits & pieces to accumulate - Missus Santa's far more likely to get those than a tank :-/

Jim
I've a pretty nice bc you might be interested in.

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

onefish wrote:Do you have room for one more? I would like to join you guys for New Year's dive. Keith, we can even car pool together if you like, let me know.
Sure, looks like probly 4 or 5 and a couple more maybes, come on over and join the party :partyman:

Jim
onefish
Just Settling In

Post by onefish »

I have to bail out on this dive. Sorry! My neck seal is leaking and I dove today to find that was sure thing! I will to replace my neck seal so I can dive soon, but I do not think the dive shop can replace neck seal that fast. I am pretty bummed due to this fact, but what I can I do? Put the duck tape around my neck? I would love to dive but at the same time, I don't want my half body all soaked. Today, I forgot my hood and I dove without a hood for 45 to 50 minutes and only one dive which I could only handle, viability at Les Davis was around 15 to 10 feet and I dove max depth of 51 feet. By the time I got out of the water, I felt really cold and nauseous, which was dump idea but I got to experience how cold my head can get and I will never do that again for sure. :angry:
Last edited by onefish on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

onefish wrote:I have to bail out on this one. My neck seal is leaking and I dove today to find that is for sure and I will need to replace my neck seal so I can dive but I do not think that dive shop can replace neck seal that fast well, see. I am pretty bummed due to this fact which I would love to dive but at the same time, I don't want my half body all soaked yet. I forgot my hood today and I dove without a hood for 45 to 50 minutes and only one dive which I could only take and water temperature on surface was 35 degree. I know I am crazy. I will never forget my from now on.
What LDS do you take your neck seal repaired? UWS in Seattle will repair it in three days. At least, that's what they did on mine. Now, that's for a neck seal. I have a wrist seal repaired while I stood there and watched Danny do it, and the other wrist seal just a day. Check them out.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
onefish
Just Settling In

Post by onefish »

Thank you for the suggestion, I will see what I can to repair fast.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Onefish, I'm glad your home safe and sound. :supz:
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Better yet you guys should think of some kind of PROP to drag out with you to make thing more interesting. Of course nothing that would get your arressted just a good strange look from the people inside. Mermaid? perhaps

:pirate: :eek:
Jeff Castor
onefish
Just Settling In

Post by onefish »

Yes, I wish I was a Mermaid then I do not have to carry around weights. I slept few hours after I got back and I am totally fine. I guess, head cold did not kill me after all. Thank you Chris for good dive today and hope to dive with you and other some other time when I get my new neck seal. You must think, I am a one crazy woman! :eric:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Crazy, no, gutsy yes!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

pogiguy05 wrote:Better yet you guys should think of some kind of PROP to drag out with you to make thing more interesting. Of course nothing that would get your arressted just a good strange look from the people inside. Mermaid? perhaps

:pirate: :eek:
Hehehehe... I like your thinking there... Hmmmm

Jim
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

There are a lot of cell phones and other recent junk that gets dropped off that dock (one of my buddies even found a complete upper denture plate - I'm not going to speculate on how that got there...) so bring a goody bag and help clean up the trash, but be on the look-out for little critters too - spiny lumpsuckers are not uncommon in the harbor. Have fun!
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

onefish wrote:I have to bail out on this dive. Sorry! My neck seal is leaking and I dove today to find that was sure thing! I will to replace my neck seal so I can dive soon, but I do not think the dive shop can replace neck seal that fast. I am pretty bummed due to this fact, but what I can I do? Put the duck tape around my neck? I would love to dive but at the same time, I don't want my half body all soaked. Today, I forgot my hood and I dove without a hood for 45 to 50 minutes and only one dive which I could only handle, viability at Les Davis was around 15 to 10 feet and I dove max depth of 51 feet. By the time I got out of the water, I felt really cold and nauseous, which was dump idea but I got to experience how cold my head can get and I will never do that again for sure. :angry:
You're in Olympia ... call Wally at Tacoma Scuba. If he's not taking time off the for the holidaze, he might be able to get your neck seal replaced in time.

253-238-1754

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/