How much help do we need?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

How much help do we need?

Post by Nwcid »

Well as the title states I am trying to figure out how much help we need. I posted in the new member section the other day, http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17054 and a lot of the info is there. If you need more just let me know.

We are new to diving and would like to do more soon. Here on the east side that is not going to happen till late spring/summer . Once it gets here we will be in the water every chance we get. There are lots of little lakes to go play in. While there might not be that much to see it will be for skill building and fun.

We have a trip to Hawaii coming up in May and would like to get a couple of dives in before then. There are 3 points to this, getting our new gear set up right, more practice, of course fun. Since we have only dove once (one weekend) on our own after OW using rented jacket BC's and AL80's. We bought BP/W (used) new regs and have steel HP 100's on the way. We need help with a lot of basic stuff just to make sure we are doing it right. We need to get our gear set up configured correctly. We would like to make sure we are dive planning correctly. We need to see how folks actually dive since there is always some difference between things that are taught in classes and how it applies to real world. We are not needing our hands held the whole time but neither would we be independent when diving with experienced divers.

This is a similar question to one I posed on scubaboards and was recommended to come post here because we live in the PNW. The question is, is this too much help to expect from other divers when going out for fun? Would we be better off going with hiring a DM in a "teaching" style weekend? I ask because in a way I feel hiring a DM would be overkill but at the same time don't want to have to make a couple divers going out for fun stuck watching us. Is there another option?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Re: How much help do we need?

Post by mcloed121 »

there are lots of us on here who like to help out new divers if you want to dive and have help i could dive with you and show you what i know but it's up too you to do how it feels for you cause we all have are different ways of doing things but most is the same.
Anthony
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

You're having fun -- that's great! And it sounds like you two are being very responsible and thoughtful -- also great! You will learn a lot by just diving within your limits and practicing what you've learned. From there Anthony is right, there are lots of people on this board who will be willing to dive with you and show you around. Post whenever you get the chance to come over towards the coast and I'm sure you can find someone willing to show you their local site. Just keep diving, and keep learning, and you'll be on the right track!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There are plenty of people here who know how to set up a backplate and are willing to help people make sure it's done right. (I spent a couple of hours helping two of our former students put their gear together on Sunday, and a couple of hours going over gear options with folks yesterday, too!) It's just a matter of choosing your time to come over here, and letting folks know in advance so that they can make plans. It's a generous group of divers here.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

yeah any time you want to dive let me know me and others are all ways diving
Anthony
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

There are allot of people that would be willing to go out with you a give you pointers but a weekend spent with Bob Bailey (grateful diver) would be money well spent. Since you are on the east side and opportunities will be limited it would be best to spend your limited time with someone who will give you the maximum knowledge in the time allotted. Bob is well known for helping intermediate divers improve there skills and putting them on the right path to being safe confident divers. For dive planning his class on gas management and rock bottom is tops. You will learn more in one trip to Federal way than you would in dozens of dives even with other more experienced divers and do so without developing bad habits along the way.

Believe me when I say, your OW cert is nothing more than a learners permit and time spent with an experienced mentor like Bob will be worth many times what it will cost and it should be done ASAP so you won't lose what you have already learned. Waiting for spring is a bad idea. You need to be in the water learning new things and reinforcing the knowledge you have. But reinforcing bad habits is worse than not being in the water at all.

Do both of you a big favor and learn right the first time. You will be glad you did.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thank you guys so much. That was what I really wanted to know. I do similar things for folks with skills I have.

I know formal training is always good and do plan on seeking more but I dont feel now is the time. Right now I feel we need to work on skills we have learned already before we jump to the next "formal" lesson. At the same time it is not smart or safe to just go jump in to big unknowns (new divers, new gear, SW vs FW, ect).

We are hoping to make be free to make it over late Jan early Feb then hopefully again late Feb early March.

I have seen Bob's posts and others posts about him. When it is the time for the next step in our training I will be giving him a call.
John

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Where do you live? East of the Mountains?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

RE: How much help do we need?

Post by dewmercer »

Check out www.gue-Seattle.org. We run training dives every Wednesday PM and they are open to all. Like a previous poster said, OW is a learners permit. Your real skills will not come from more training but from diving with skilled friends.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
--
DAve Mercer
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I work in Yakima and live up by Colville. She lives in Nespelem. So we are a bit scattered but also get out a lot.

Thanks for the link dewmercer but my new schedule for next year is Tuesday/Wednesday so very unlikely that would happen. Plus GF work M-F while school is in.

Thanks for all the great replies. I assumed there were lots of good people out there and this just confirmed it. I was not sure how much "help" to expect from fellow divers vs needing to pay for "lessons". I understand it takes both.
John

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Listen to what Dusty said about getting Bob for a weekend. I did, and its the best 200$ on diving I've ever spent. So much less headache. Helped me setup my gear, made sure it was all right, tricks and tips on wearing, donning/doffing, then the water work. Yea, I thought I could do it myself too because of my previous diving background. Boy was I wrong there. I knew stuff wasnt right, but needed that second set of eyes to tell what it was.

Free isnt always free, and you can get to the same point by asking for help, but it'll cost you more in time and headache to get there.

You should read this thread...

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16989
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for the link Jeff.

Again we do plan on doing a "lesson" dive soon. I think it would be more beneficial after another trip to the water first.

Everyone has their own learning styles. For me I need some "teaching" then some trying time then "teaching" again, ect. For example I picked up snowboarding last year. Had a half day lesson to lean what the basics were. Went out a couple times and practiced those and monitored what I thought I was doing right and what I needed serious help on. Then I got a private lesson (payed and instructor) who gave me some pointers and added some new skills. Again I went an practiced them. Since then I have not had any formal lessons but have got some pointers from people I board with who are instructors. At some point this winter I am going to spend the time with one of the instructors (perks of now being on ski patrol) honing some of my skills.

So right now I am hoping to get a day or two in the water then sign up with Bob. IMHO jumping from class to class never really gives you time to build the skills you learned in the previous class.
John