New divers dive (Feb 25)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

New divers dive (Feb 25)

Post by Nwcid »

Joined the site not too long ago, http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17054 but have not posted much yet. Been doing some reading but been busy with life stuff and not a lot of free time to read/post here more.

We are 2 new divers from Eastern WA and are looking to get a dive in on the West side. I have talked to Bob (grateful diver) about taking his advanced class and his first suggestion was to just come over for a day of diving. I emailed him the other day but IIRC he is out of the area for a couple weeks.

So my question is are there any other divers that are possibly going out on that day or able to go out and willing to show us the ropes? We would like to come over Friday night, be at the dive site mid morning (9-10am) Saturday, do the dive(s) and be done in time to travel home that night.

For gear we have 7mm full suits with 7mm farmer John's, BP/W, HOG D1's, HP-100 tanks. For experience we have only dove twice in fresh water on our own. Max depth was 45'.

Any other info you need just ask. Thanks for looking.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: New divers dive (Feb 25)

Post by Jeff Pack »

Lots of good dive sites for beginners.

redondo, Alki Cove 2, Three Tree, Les Davis Pier for starters.

You might consider a week earlier, as the club dive at Redondo is the 19th.

I try and dive every saturday, feel free to hit me up.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Only looking to go with experienced divers. Too many new factors for us to try it on our own. The 2 sites we dove on our own were in areas we are very familiar with. I will PM you if needed but hoping to keep it open and see if we can get a few folks if they are interested. I am open to going to any site, they will all be fun for us.

I did see the post on the 19th and would love to do it but between her schedule and mine the 25th is the day we can do it. After mid March I will have more free time as I will be done teaching 2 days a week on top of my normal job.
John

eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I unfortunately have no weekend availability, but the sites Jeff suggested are good sites to visit. I, for one, love love LOVE Les Davis. It's always been good to me in both tides and critters, and navigation is pretty darn simple: surface swim out, drop to a depth, swim one direction a while, turn around. It's my "go to" if someone comes to visit and I don't want to have to pay close attention to the tides, beyond "are they exchanging 30 feet in one hour? No? Perfect!"

If you're looking for cheap places to stay Friday night, I suggest you stay in the south end. I used to come over from the San Juan Islands a lot, and I found that the further south you go the better the prices get. The area near Edmonds has some good, reasonably priced places as long as you don't mind very simple hotels. If you're diving wet I also recommend bringing lots of layers of clothing, and something to assist with changing clothes. I used to wear a skirt to all my dive sites -- sure, it was fashionable, but mostly it made it easy to change out of a swimsuit! Keep in mind temperatures are still in the 40s, and diving wet you might get chilled after two dives. Just go ahead and plan for it, bring some warm clothes, and expect to go from the dive site to someplace with some good warm food ;)

There's good people here, and I'm sure you'll find someone to dive with. And if you make it back out and I'm available, I always love to go diving! It's fun when I have a site I can actually show off to someone, since I play the "tourist" all too often...
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

I might be able to show you around Lea Davis if you would like. its a good starter site. one of my favs as its only 5min from my house
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

I can do alki cove2 that day if you like.
Anthony
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well as you can see we have alot of divers willing to help you out and I will throw my hat into the water. I have been diving for 5 years and have about 200 dives. ( lost track at 180 when my UEMIS died :angry: ) I dive the South sound sites often and would be willing to show you any of them. Three Tree,Redondo, Les Davis, and it has been a while since I dived Cove 2, but it is an interesting dive.

How many tanks do you have? I currently have 2 HP130's and 2 HP119's. As the date gets closer just let us know where and when you want to dive and I am sure you will have plenty of offers. :joshsmith:
Jeff Castor
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

Les Davis is awesome for getting your toes wet (I still say we need a rim-shot smiley) and one of my favorite sites when tides are a bit iffy elsewhere. Titlow is also a fun site if the currents permit and never gets more than about 30fsw. Another site that I am surprised nobody has mentioned is Edmonds Underwater Park. It IMO is the best bang for your buck and you are always guaranteed to see a ton of (big) life and of the 10ish times I've dove there, I have never been disappointed. The only thing about EUP is the surface swim is a "little bit long".. I have never personally thought so, but to each their own (whiners)

regardless, everyone here on the board has had some great suggestions for you and if it's at all possible, I will plan to make it out as well. We usually all congregate (work permitting) around the same areas at the same times because, let's face it; we are all dive nerds with the same passion and our families ("family" being cats in my situation) are sick of hearing us babble about it =P

Thisis my favorite site for finding the absolute cheapest flights and hotels. Everyone says "no, look at Expedia" or "look at orbitz" and I say "this one compares them ALL at once!" =)

hope to see ya guys soon!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Sorry been getting our butts kicked at work. I guess I will have to look up those dive sites and make a choice from there. Hopefully tonight I will be able to do that.

Thanks for all the generous replies.
John

Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

So after checking the sites it sounds like Les Davis would be a great site. Now it sound like the vis can be varied by weather conditions and tides. How far ahead of time will you be able to tell if it is going to be an issue?

We each have an HP-100. We are diving wet so it will most likely just be a single dive for us but will do more if we can.
John

cardiver
I've Got Gills

New divers dive (Feb 25)

Post by cardiver »

When you drop in...... Viz is generally good this time of year so just head down there and get wet.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

If possible, dive Less Davis at the end of an ebbing (negative) tide. Not absoulutly a necessity, but the ebbing tide takes the fresh water schmutz,from the Puyallup River, and pulls it away from the shore, giving better vis. to that site.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: