Good wall dives?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Good wall dives?

Post by H20doctor »

Sares head is a kick as wall.. muk clay wall.. Is a 8 foot ledge.. Leshi ? Never seen it..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Lesshi starts at around 80' and bottoms out at 197'.

http://www.anacortesdiving.com/index.ph ... Itemid=201
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I find the combination of structure and critters at the Day Island, especially the South wall, to be very appealing.

I really like Skyline wall in Burrows Pass too. It is seasonal due to water clarity/salinity issues affecting the invertebrate life and visibility. I've done it from shore but it is truly worry free if done from a live boat.

Although I dove it in amazing viz. I was underwhelmed by Dalco Wall last October. The structure was interesting but the critter count was pretty low.

One of my favorite dives in the San Juans was the wall on the West side of Strawberry Is. It has great little ravines and crevices. I enjoyed all the fish, the colorful anemones, and all the scallops.

Just about all the sites mentioned so far probably requires a buddy with local knowledge the first time you visit, especially the sites in high current areas. Fortunately you have access to both buddies and knowledge here. Finally although we get really used to excellent shore diving around here don't neglect the amazing sites that require boat dives. Most of us can't boat dive all the time but it is worth saving up for an occasional charter or finding a buddy that has a boat.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

renoun wrote:Although I dove it in amazing viz. I was underwhelmed by Dalco Wall last October. The structure was interesting but the critter count was pretty low.
Dalco is sandstone and the anenomes don't seem to like it. Mussels and sensile inverts seem to fall off with the current once they get to any size, there's a bit of a mussel shell pile in places on the bottom (and lots of gravel). The bottom is about 145-148fsw or so at a high tide. Its mostly a geology dive IMHO.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

The topography of walls is what I like best about them. Might have to try out Dalco then. Good that the bottom is at 145ft. Sounds perfect for what I was looking for. I like walls where I am not stopped by the bottom. Its fun to look down into the abyss so to speak
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:The topography of walls is what I like best about them. Might have to try out Dalco then. Good that the bottom is at 145ft. Sounds perfect for what I was looking for. I like walls where I am not stopped by the bottom. Its fun to look down into the abyss so to speak
Its a boat only dive. Bandito charters can take you there if you give them some flexiblity on dates. Its not do-able current/slack-wise ever day.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dalcodiver
Avid Diver

Post by dalcodiver »

For critters at Dalco work the top edge of the wall more to the west in 45-50ft. You can still swim out to the north and look over the edge into the abyss.
If I'm not diving unfortunately I'm working.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

dalcodiver wrote:For critters at Dalco work the top edge of the wall more to the west in 45-50ft. You can still swim out to the north and look over the edge into the abyss.
and the abyss was pretty damned cool!
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I say take Don up on his offer to boat dive flagpole point...u wont be dissapointed
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Gdog wrote:I say take Don up on his offer to boat dive flagpole point...u wont be dissapointed
+1
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Did possession point fingers years ago and what i recall is that its mostly sandstone, but had lots of nooks and crannies and i spotted a juvie yelloweye rockfish in one of them. Its been a long time, but it was filed under 'must do this again sometime'. Obviously haven't been back, so don't know if i remember that right or not...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

lamont wrote:Did possession point fingers years ago and what i recall is that its mostly sandstone, but had lots of nooks and crannies and i spotted a juvie yelloweye rockfish in one of them. Its been a long time, but it was filed under 'must do this again sometime'. Obviously haven't been back, so don't know if i remember that right or not...

PPF is an awesome dive. It can be done from shore with a bit of a walk, but scooters or a boat make it a much better dive.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lobster shop wall. It's a shore dive but pretty deep for such a small tank. Lots of life, very little current and it goes deeper than I want to think about.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lobster shop wall. It's a shore dive but pretty deep for such a small tank. Lots of life, very little current and it goes deeper than I want to think about.
You like it? Its fairly deep yes, but I would put it in the "fair" category. There are lots of piddock clams and shrimps but I have rarely seen many fish at all here. I did see a sea lion once though, Bob may even have pics. The sea lion wasn't even on the wall, he was at 20 or 30ft on deco.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

hmm, sounds like a fun dive to do, any takers?

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lobster shop wall. It's a shore dive but pretty deep for such a small tank. Lots of life, very little current and it goes deeper than I want to think about.
You like it? Its fairly deep yes, but I would put it in the "fair" category. There are lots of piddock clams and shrimps but I have rarely seen many fish at all here. I did see a sea lion once though, Bob may even have pics. The sea lion wasn't even on the wall, he was at 20 or 30ft on deco.
Never been there myself, I'm not a deep water diver. My favorite wall is Ed's fault in discovery bay but it's a boat only dive unless you have a scooter with a good long run time
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:hmm, sounds like a fun dive to do, any takers?
It starts about 85fsw here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Tacom ... 7&t=h&z=17

Its not 100% contiguous to the SE and NW. There's a slopey ledge about 130-140fsw or so. Then it drops off again. I don't know where the next shelf is, never bothered to look. Its quite silty since the wall is clay, there's the Puyallup river not far away, and gets deep fast. Swim out maybe 50-60yards from the building on the surface and then drop, you should be in ~55fsw, then swim downslope. People have actually died here. Bring lots of gas so you can swim upslope; not a good dive to do on AL80s and lp77s. A direct ascent to the surface is certainly possible but you're quite a ways offshore and there is small boat traffic.

Its a "C+ list" dive IMHO.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I know from talking to some of the nark junkies that it goes beyond 200fsw if your into that sort of thing. But it did fit the criteria set by the OP. No way I would consider it a single tank dive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

KVI is not exactly a wall but it can be done from shore, though I wouldn't recommend it, and it does get way deep real fast and it has LOTS of life
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I guess my "not so good" filter took care of Lobster Shack before lol. The bottom bottom is >200fsw depending on where you are in that area. Its not a continuously vertical wall nor flat on the 'bottom'. It is a convenient and fairly straightforward experience dive for entry-level trimix classes though, maybe narced its a better dive :rofl:

KVI is a better dive IMHO, even if it is a pile for concrete pillars and rocks. Salt Water State park is almost the same structure but even better I think. Its certainly a blast to scooter.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

There's more to Lobster Shop wall than Richard is giving it credit for, but you have to patient there. It's not a "guranteed" site if you will. I have seen some skates along the wall there, lots of red octos, and stubby shrimp.

Now that I'm a scooter owner it's in my list of sites to never dive again sans scooter.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

There's more to Lobster Shop wall than Richard is giving it credit for, but you have to patient there. It's not a "guranteed" site if you will. I have seen some skates along the wall there, lots of red octos, and stubby squid.

Now that I'm a scooter owner it's in my list of sites to never dive again sans scooter.
Last edited by kitsapdiver on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kitsapdiver wrote:There's more to Lobster Shop wall than Richard is giving it credit for, but you have to patient there. It's not a "guranteed" site if you will. I have seen some skates along the wall there, lots of red octos, and stubby shrimp.

Someplace has got to be average or below average. My vote's for Lobster Shack but I'm jaded.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've done several dives on Lobster Shop, and it really reminds me of Dalco, without the drama. Sandstone with piddock clam holes. Two dives were boring as all get-out, and the third one we found a lot of fun small stuff -- nudis, warbonnets, gunnels and things like that. The same things, really, you can see at the Mukilteo clay walls. It's not a dive I'd drive all the way from Woodinville south to do, unless coaxed.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Dylan and I dove Leschi on sunday, viz was around a crappy15ft, but we both thought the wall was pretty cool. Lots of structure, and ledges. We only got to 100ft, but both agreed once he gets tec1 certified, we'll be hitting deeper. Quite the temperature difference, as the thermocline above was very warm. Would have made a nice deco obligation.