Good wall dives?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Good wall dives?

Post by Mortuus »

Question A: Best wall dives in the Sound?
Question B: Closest wall dives to Bellevue?

Im not officially planning a dive yet, but ive been itching for a good wall dive, so im just curious what all there is out there
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Good wall dives?

Post by BDub »

A) Day Island Wall, Long Island Wall, Dalco Wall
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Good wall dives?

Post by cardiver »

Sunrise, Day Island and Fox Island (east wall).
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Pulali East, Pulali South Fingers, Rosie's Ravine, Flagpole (but this one's deep). All within a beautiful 3 hour drive and short relaxing boat ride from Bellevue.
Don
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Shit, I forgot to mention I was looking for shore dives only. And 3 hour drive is a bit long for me lol. I only have 1 tank right now, but even with two.... Thats a long haul for two dives.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

maybe, but...its worth it!! We used to drive up from portland to dive 2 tanks...
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Its not so much the drive that bothers me as it is the gas prices
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Car pool, 3-tank trip, tank rental is only $5.00 for air. Just throwin out options for the great wall dives you asked for
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Day island isn't too far away, although parking can be hazardous.

My favorite wall dive ever so far has been Snake Island wall in Nanaimo, though it's a a boat dive, and in Nanaimo.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Day Island and Sunrise are the best wall dives I can think of that you can do from shore. For a smaller but easily accessible wall, you can do the clay walls at Mukilteo -- but beware of current there, because it can be strong. (As can Day Island and Sunrise; I've gotten spanked at DIW when the exchange was quite small, but we tried to dive off slack.)

Flagpole is a stupendous dive but a long surface swim. Sund Rock has two walls, north and south, and has parking and easy water access. I don't think it's terribly hard to find someone who wants to go out to Hood Canal to carpool with. The diving out there is great.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I still say that DIW or 3 tree point (or whatever is near octopus hole?) are my favorite walls. Delco (sp?) is worthwhile as well

tho... I already texted this to you >.<

We can split gas costs tho and maybe get Richard as a third for friday
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Shore dive it has to be "Skyline Wall"
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

While we're on the topic of the Hood Canal Jorsted Creek also has a decent wall. It doesn't have the life that Flagpole does, and you'll see the larger critters at the top of the wall. The bottom of the wall peters out at about 115 if I remember correctly.

There are rumors of another deep wall at Jorsted that starts at about 130, but I haven't gone looking for it yet. But now that I have the power to scooter it's on the radar.

Austin
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Leshi wall is the the closest to Bellevue, in Lake Washington.

To do great wall dives in Puget Sound you need to drive 2-3 hrs, have a boat/charter or both.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Jorsted is a surprisingly good dive (surprising to me, because I had never heard of it).

Skyline's a fantastic dive, but very quirky current-wise. I guess I never think of it as a wall, really, because to me it seems like more of a boulder slope.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:Leshi wall is the the closest to Bellevue, in Lake Washington.

To do great wall dives in Puget Sound you need to drive 2-3 hrs, have a boat/charter or both.
The mukilteo clay walls aren't that much more of a drive and they have life on them...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:

The mukilteo clay walls aren't that much more of a drive and they have life on them...
Guess I don't consider those lil things walls :)

Dalco is a wall
Waterman's is a wall
Rosie's is a wall
Long Island is a wall

Mukilteo is a wall :pirate:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

Guess I don't consider those lil things walls :)

Dalco is a wall
Waterman's is a wall
Rosie's is a wall
Long Island is a wall

Mukilteo is a wall :pirate:
True. I've never done the leschi wall, but it's on my list. It is in the lake after all....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Nwbrewer wrote:I've never done the leschi wall, but it's on my list.
Hopefully at the bottom, of a very long list
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus what size tank do you have? While some of these things start fairly close to the surface, some of these walls also start fairly deep. I would say too deep for a single al80, although some might disagree with that.

Sunrise is probably the shallowest as its in the 28-45fsw range or so.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Currently diving a LP 77 (+ rating, so I can fill it higher), but I have good air consumption. My NDL will limit me waaaaaaaay before my air does up until about the 50 or 60 ft mark. Good thing too. I like deep.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

BDub wrote:
Way at the bottom.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:Currently diving a LP 77 (+ rating, so I can fill it higher), but I have good air consumption. My NDL will limit me waaaaaaaay before my air does up until about the 50 or 60 ft mark. Good thing too. I like deep.
K, how deep is deep for you? 77cf even overfilled to 87cf (3000psi) is pretty small in the scheme of things.

Might ask your buddy how much he/she wants you to reserve for them. There are a couple instructors here on the board hosting free "gas management" seminars, good stuff. There should be one coming along sometime soon since its been awhile since anyone has hosted one. Lamont and Bob both has good webpages about it, but I am not able to find them easily, maybe someone else can post links.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Deception Pass and Sares head.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BDub wrote:

ROFL
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."