CANCELLED- Lake Crescent March 24th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Re: Lake Crescent March 24th

Post by kitsapdiver »

kitsapdiver wrote:So what's the latest actual count for people coming Saturday March 24th? As far as I can gather it was

1. Jeff Pack
2. H20Doctor
3. Dr.Putz
4. CoulterBoy
5. Vlad

P.S. Dove Lake Crescent Sunday and the water is 44 degrees right now from top to bottom (or at least as far as were going, bottom is relative). If the air temperatures are in the 30's/40's it will make for a cold cold day if you're looking at 3+ dives. I'm willing to do one legit dive, and then the second where I play with weight. I"m not interesteed in a couple more hours of hypothermia induction.
Ohh that's right and Vlad right, sorry Vlad I hadn't re-read though the thread.

H20Doctor and Vlad are you still in?
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Seems like everyone is not going.. I would be driving over all by myself all alone.. Sniff sniff.. As I do want to scooter, and film this majestic forest... I guess its not woth the cost and gas to drive there for 2 dives.. So sorry mr kitsap diver, lets try again next month ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

FAir enough H20Doctor. As sad as it is, I'm busy Sunday, and freeing up a little time in my weekend won't be a horrible thing. Espcially because it was sooooo cold last weekend up there. As Jeanna pointed out as we were gearing up for the Warren Car, Lake Crescent is a dive best done in the Spring, so maybe we can shoot again for End of April, or early June (my whole month of May is already shot)!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: CANCELLED- Lake Crescent March 24th

Post by H20doctor »

sorry.. But yes the lake will still be there for us, and next time maybe we can plan an extended weekend dive
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Looks like I started and unfortunate trend. 0[ Sorry guys.

August... best time is August.... Waaaaaaarrrrrmmmmmm deco....

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:Looks like I started and unfortunate trend. 0[ Sorry guys.

August... best time is August.... Waaaaaaarrrrrmmmmmm deco....

D
there are better places to dive in august, just sayin...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote: there are better places to dive in august, just sayin...
Come on Richard, August is the perfect time to stop at Lake Crescent and rinse your gear off after diving out at Neah Bay, Sekui or Salt Creek! :angelblue:

Heck, its even legal. Just don't let the rangers catch you rinsing your boat off in the lake (not legal), they have guns and will use them. :angry:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

boydski wrote:Just don't let the rangers catch you rinsing your boat off in the lake (not legal), they have guns and will use them. :angry:
Seriously? How is "rinsing" defined? I'm not seeing such a rule here: http://www.nps.gov/olym/parkmgmt/loader ... eID=387482
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

boydski wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: there are better places to dive in august, just sayin...
Come on Richard, August is the perfect time to stop at Lake Crescent and rinse your gear off after diving out at Neah Bay, Sekui or Salt Creek! :angelblue:

Heck, its even legal. Just don't let the rangers catch you rinsing your boat off in the lake (not legal), they have guns and will use them. :angry:
Dont talk about Neah Bay.. Unless you invite me..
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote:Seriously? How is "rinsing" defined? I'm not seeing such a rule here: http://www.nps.gov/olym/parkmgmt/loader ... eID=387482
I can't find the rule either, but it is posted at the Storm King boat launch (citing the applicable code) and the Ranger was VERY firm about it being against the law. Literally, hand on his gun, bellowing at me to "Shut down the motor and step away from the vehicle". I had no idea they had guns until then.

I don't think it helped that the three of us in the truck were all laughing! :nutty:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

boydski wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Seriously? How is "rinsing" defined? I'm not seeing such a rule here: http://www.nps.gov/olym/parkmgmt/loader ... eID=387482
I can't find the rule either, but it is posted at the Storm King boat launch (citing the applicable code) and the Ranger was VERY firm about it being against the law. Literally, hand on his gun, bellowing at me to "Shut down the motor and step away from the vehicle". I had no idea they had guns until then.

I don't think it helped that the three of us in the truck were all laughing! :nutty:
Launch it and take it out for a spin? The interpretive rangers don't carry weapons, the law enforcement ones do. IIRC the latter go to the FBI's academy in VA for their basic federal LEO training.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote:Launch it and take it out for a spin? The interpretive rangers don't carry weapons, the law enforcement ones do. IIRC the latter go to the FBI's academy in VA for their basic federal LEO training.
That's pretty much what we did. We eventually determined that launching the boat and "diving" wasn't illegal and had a truck/boat full of double tanks and deco bottles that supported our intention to go dive the Steele Dodge (Sherman Wreck).

That particular incident is actually how I wound up with the GPS locations for both wrecks, so it turned out to be a good thing.
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

boydski wrote:

I lived this one. Here is the regulation I was cited for about 8 years ago highlighted in yellow:
cite.png
I was returning from a fishing trip at Sekiu and stopped to rinse the boat motor and trailer at the Storm King launch.

While I was backed down the ramp, running my motor, I was approached by 2 armed National Park Rangers.

One Ranger pointed to the "Attention Anglers..blah blah blah..." sign. I said, "Oh, ok. Sorry, I didn't see the sign." Then he said, "You're gonna get a $75 ticket. This sort of thing is happening way too much."

I honestly did not see the sign. It was very small and unofficial looking. The rule sounded like a personal agenda to me. Although I wanted to, I had better sense than to argue except for asking a hypothetical; "If I were to leave the dock then return, would I still get the ticket?" The answer was "No, that would have been fine." :nutty: However by this time, I had already pulled out and was parked at the top of the ramp. :BDub:

I received some legal advice from a couple friends to fight the citation.

So, I drafted a written response, took a day off from work and drove down the the Federal District Court in Tacoma and waited for my turn to talk to the man.

Long story short, the case was dismissed. The judge stated that he knew of no law that prohibited running a boat motor at the launch site and the CFR I was cited for didn't make a lot of sense since gas powered boats are allowed on and at Lake Crescent.

I wonder if they have changed the CFR since then and also wonder how many folks paid the ticket that year and continue to pay it?

-Mark
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Good for you for fighting that! 1 mole of sodium in Lake Crescent is rediculous
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:Good for you for fighting that! 1 mole of sodium in Lake Crescent is rediculous
You mean like the mayor not salting the Seattle roads during the snow storm because he didn't know what the environmental impact on the Sound would be? I'd bet the melted snow/salt mixture still would have had a lower salinity then Elliot bay already is...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman