Orcas Island Diving

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Orcas Island Diving

Post by franroque »

I've reserved campsite 39, in Moran State Park, from Fri. Sept.7 to Sept 9. I'm looking to find a nice site for diving or snorkeling. Unfortunately, there is no place on the island that I'm aware of that you can get refills. However, there are plenty of trails to get lost in and with the clear waters of Cascade lake, snorkeling would be a good option. I can also bring a two person kayak to scout out some sites and dive from. If you'd like to join and bring your own toys to share please let me know so I can fit you into the campsite (max 8 persons and 2 cars). You can also reserve your own campsite for 22 dollars a night but I'd be happier if you share the campsite with me and split the cost. I'd be willing to pick people up from the ferry landing if you don't want to load your car into the ferry for the extra charge.

Francis
206-430-3159
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: Orcas Island Diving

Post by eliseaboo »

Lived there for two spring seasons - definitely no airfills on the island! Fill up/rent at Anacortes Diving, they're good people!
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

Having no place on the island to refill must have been very disruptive for you. How did you manage to live there for two spring seasons? I'd like to find myself out on the islands in the future. I like the feel of Orcas island and find the small cute little towns really charming. Having no traffic lights on the island really gives the island a relax flow.

Do you have any suggestions for dive sites?
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Never got to dive off the island. Pretty much no shore diving, and even if there was I didn't have any dive buddies. I was off island practically every weekend. But if you have the chance (and they're open) stop at this place called The Exchange (if it's open) - really unique little place next to the dump where they take in all the miscellaneous stuff from people on the island and you can either trade something you think it's about equally valuable, or offer a price for something you want. It's like a huge garage sale, which is kind of weird at first, but really interesting...
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

The Exchange sounds like a place on Lopez island where you do a similar thing and it's next to the dump. I'll have to check it out. I'm a bit of a collector. I would go diving just on the off chance of finding "treasure" on the sea floor.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Francis

Wow, I'm camping at Moran State Park that same weekend! (yes, planned 9 months in advanced to get that perfect spot! it's a great camping spot if you haven't been there yet.)

I wasn't planning on diving but I could maybe be talked into it, else certainly snorkelling/kayaking. A quick search in my northwest shoredives book shows there's a site called Doe Bay, and another called Brown Rock/Obstruction Pass. I still have yet to read the descriptions or check the tide table. Anybody else done those?

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

YellowEye wrote:Hi Francis

Wow, I'm camping at Moran State Park that same weekend! (yes, planned 9 months in advanced to get that perfect spot! it's a great camping spot if you haven't been there yet.)

I wasn't planning on diving but I could maybe be talked into it, else certainly snorkelling/kayaking. A quick search in my northwest shoredives book shows there's a site called Doe Bay, and another called Brown Rock/Obstruction Pass. I still have yet to read the descriptions or check the tide table. Anybody else done those?

-Eric
Excellent! I was a little too late to find out about the campsite before all the good spots during the summer were reserved. It looks like it's worth waiting 9 months for. So where's your perfect camp spot? I am definitely up for diving anywhere around the island. Let me know what you in up deciding.
brownc9
Just Settling In

Post by brownc9 »

I'm headed to orcas this weekend to dive doe bay. Never been, will let you know what I find.
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

Awesome! Have a great time!
brownc9
Just Settling In

Post by brownc9 »

In the rush to get out of town to the ferry, the dive gear was not fit into the car. I did do some snorkeling but vis was probably 5-10' from the surface and without weight I could not dive down with my wetsuit on.
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

Sorry to hear about your equipment. I hope it's not your last trip to the island.
brownc9
Just Settling In

Post by brownc9 »

We have a family place out there, so I'm sure we'll make it a bigger priority at some point to make it happen. The holiday weekend was awful for ferry traffic (duh).