Terrific Mapping Project

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Thanks for the advice. I have dived Porteau Cove, though I think it will be difficult to find help/plan a trip up there for such a project, plus the distance makes it hard should we not finish in the allotted weekend. I'll likely just throw in the hat on trying to do something original and do Cove 3.

So, who is in for a few dives at Cove 3?!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wooohooooo, done with the mapping project (well, done with the diving part anyway). Thanks again to Maverick and Erik, Cuppie and Sargent Pepper for the help and the good diving.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Calvin - check with Grateful Diver on the sunken bridge. Apparently there has been some law enforcement in that area providing friendly advice NOT to dive the bridge.
Ive dove the bridge a couple of times and I never saw anything about no diving there!!

Bob do you know something the rest of us dont??
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Does anybody have information about NOT diving the 1-90 bridge??
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

If they dont want people to dive there than why wouldnt they post it there. But that still doesnt answer my question Is there LAW that says you cant dive there or is it just speculation. Because I sure dont want to get fined for diving somewhere im not supposed to be.. The reason i want to know is that on other boards ive hered the same thing about not diving there. But no one has came up with any proof yet.. I would sure like to find out if it is legal or not..
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

What information did GD give you..
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Thanks for the info.. I appriciate that, alot of times you here this or that and you never know what to believe. Im not the kinda guy whos gonna go out and intentionally break the law. So things like this I want to know about. 1-90 is a really cool dive and that would be to bad if you cant dive there!! So far it looks like there is now law about diving THERE. Though if there is im confident that you will find it. :book:

jason
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Till they slap the cuffs on and say "tell it to the judge" \:D/ Let me know when your ready to get in the water and I will be glad to dive with you guys.. :partyman:
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

As soon as we get back from Hawaii (mid-July) we'll be putting our gear together and will be ready to start diving regularly come early August!!! We have a little 17' Larson bow-rider too - I'm drawing up plans to rig a flag pole for a dive flag. It's not "ideal," but it's certainly "good enough" to dive from if people want to pitch in for gas!

I can't wait to have this wedding over with - it sucks planning a wedding. I love her, but this wedding BS sucks. Maui will be sweet though! \:D/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Bob told me that the deputy who spoke with the divers told them it was a Homeland Security issue from fear of divres blowing up the bridge... I guess loading the boats that go underneath the bridge or moving vans that drive across it with explosives would be MUCH more complicated than diver-placed underwater demolition (because EVERYONE knows how to conduct stealth-like underwater demolition)! =D> Way to go goverment!!

Sounds like a case of where the deputies can't be everywhere all at once and if they see divers there, they'll tell them they shouldn't be there but in reading more, many people dive it without incident.

GD - can you put some light on this? :prayer:
I don't think that was me, Doug ... I remember telling you about some restrictions on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, but those were due to construction.

Are you sure you weren't talking to someone else about I-90?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

:bootyshake:
Last edited by Maverick on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

(deleted) ...
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Sounder I am sorry, and Didn't mean to hityou hard. I just thought it was lame how you said you arrested people and didn't know why? It just got to me because i Always thought Police were a good thing and then you said you did things, without knowing why. I just let it get the best of me. Sorry Buddy, Hope to see youin the Water. Hey and as far as picking up a Padi manual, Just thought you would know what that is. I am a Naui diver aswell. Hope you take my apology well. Sounder, See you in the water when you get back fromyou Honeymoon. Congrats on the New Wife I hope it goes great and have a great many dives in Hawaii. Aloha Bro. See ya in the water.
Mav
Last edited by Maverick on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

This was posted on our shop list ... by another guy named Bob (Carlson) ...
When Sharps and I were diving it, I asked the Seattle police and was told that King County code does not allow any shore diving or swimming except at designated areas (swim beaches and Alki Cove are exceptions). So legally all diving in King County must be from a boat. Also it is illegal to dive within 100yds (or some such distance) of piers and water structures i.e. bridge pilings, ferry landings, etc. I don't have the exact RCW that spells it out but have sighted it before. The fines are on the order of $100 if caught.

So maintaining a covert/low profile when diving in those locations is a must
;-)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

The guy in downtown Seattle waving the sword around? I remember that one- my girlfriend worked at Harborview ER at that time- she talked with him when the cops brought him in, strapped to the gurney- were you there, Sounder?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

:burntchef:
Last edited by Sounder on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

They managed to pin ours down with an extension ladder- very creative!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Makes total sense now, Sounder. I would have used rubber bullets, bean bags are for lounging in from of the tv with. Glad to hear you were a straight cop. I just took it wrong, you are well veresd in the law it sounds like. anyway see youin the water.
Maverick

STAIRS.