Jan 4 or 5 in Port Townsend

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Jan 4 or 5 in Port Townsend

Post by GreatLakesWreckDiver »

I'm new to the PNW and looking to get in the water check my weighting and such. Anyone looking to dive somewhere in the PT area?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Jan 4 or 5 in Port Townsend

Post by Dusty2 »

Hi guy, Glad to see you made it out here. I won't be up that way for a couple weeks but there are several people in the area who will probably ring in. Good currents for Point Hudson will be later in the month but there are several other locations that are more user friendly. A site that would make you feel right at home is the wreck of the Diamond Knot in the straits west of Port Angeles but it's a boat dive and current sensitive. I would also suggest doing some of Reefs webinars. http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22234 Drop in over at Octopus gardens and I'm sure Don can put you in touch with some local divers. There are a couple of regulars that do quite a bit of diving in hood canal not far from PT.
Diamond Knot video
phpBB [video]
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

The Diamond Knot looks like fun. Will definitely want to get on it at some point but I need to get my weighting down. Picked up a different dry suit shortly before coming out here and never dove a dry suit in salt water. I'll swing by Octopus and see if anyone is heading out this weekend.
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

You need to talk to Bill Minton about the Diamond Knot. He'll take you out there.

Did you get in touch with my divemaster friends about diving in the area? They're diving Hood Canal this weekend I believe.

- Adrian
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

AdrianSmith wrote:You need to talk to Bill Minton about the Diamond Knot. He'll take you out there.

Did you get in touch with my divemaster friends about diving in the area? They're diving Hood Canal this weekend I believe.

- Adrian
I don't believe I have. Since arriving, I have been doing a lot of running and the family was out visiting for the holidays. Haven't had time to plan for any diving till now.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Plan is for Port Hudson about 10:45 on the 4th.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That's a pretty darn high exchange. You'd best hit it right on or your going to be fighting a pretty damn tough current. I wouldn't dive that window but I'm a 70 year old wus. Please be careful. The currents there can get pretty nasty pretty fast and Hudson is the focal point so it gets the highest flow in the area.

The way it looks right now I will be coming up the 14th-21st
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Dusty2 wrote:That's a pretty darn high exchange. You'd best hit it right on or your going to be fighting a pretty damn tough current. I wouldn't dive that window but I'm a 70 year old wus. Please be careful. The currents there can get pretty nasty pretty fast and Hudson is the focal point so it gets the highest flow in the area.

The way it looks right now I will be coming up the 14th-21st
Octopus Gardens said it was supposed to be under a knot but to check it when I get there since predictions can always be wrong. I don't plan on making much of a dive out of it to be honest. If things are calm, I will venture around a bit, but really I just want to get in and get my weighting correct and my gills wet. They are drying out after this much time out of the water :)

We should try to get together when you are up this way. Shoot me a PM and we can set something up.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I think Don is a bit optimistic about Hudson I have literally hundreds of dives there and tend to be very conservative. Do you think 1 knot is not bad? Believe me 1/2 knot can kick your butt unless you are a very strong swimmer.

If you stay in the shallows you should be fine or stay on the west side of the new pier. If you enter at the boat ramp (not used this time of year) and head towards town you should be fine. The current drops substantially as you go west from the point. The jetty area is the focal point and it almost always is flowing outward due to eddy effect.

Dive safe. Rich
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Entered on the steps in back of the maritime center. Did a 15 min dive to 50' and didn't really feel any current. At least nothing I would consider a current. Need to get my ankle weights for this dry suit and I will be back out there!
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Nice to meet you today. I sent a PM with my contact info.

Welcome to the PNW!

-Mark