Is the vis as bad as it looks from here?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Is the vis as bad as it looks from here?

Post by dsteding »

Let me whine.

I'm sitting in my office, and Elliott Bay looks positively brown this morning. I know vis has been crappy lately, anyone been braving Cove 2?

Edmonds was craptastic this past weekend, I understand the Oil Dock was also pea soup.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Redondo on Monday was dreadful...I didn't see the bottom until right before I ran into it. It didn't improve much at depth, either.

Hellava way to come back from warm blue water... :)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I guess I'll find out soon enough!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

you guys aren't providing much motivation here! ](*,)

i expect the mill creek pool to have unlimited vis on sunday, though. \:D/
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

thelawgoddess wrote:i expect the mill creek pool to have unlimited vis on sunday, though. \:D/
limited only by the walls of the pool :smt064
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Is the vis as bad as it looks from here?

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:Let me whine.

I'm sitting in my office, and Elliott Bay looks positively brown this morning. I know vis has been crappy lately, anyone been braving Cove 2?

Edmonds was craptastic this past weekend, I understand the Oil Dock was also pea soup.
Not bad below 70 or so- maaaaybe 8-10 feet. Above that, more like 4-6 feet.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nailer99 wrote:
It is indeed a sorry state of affairs when "not bad" is associated with 8-10 feet.

I love summer topside, hate it under.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

dsteding wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:
It is indeed a sorry state of affairs when "not bad" is associated with 8-10 feet.

it should get much better when it stops raining late-july...
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I get's much better when you get in your car and drive =D>

Sund Rock had 20' or more viz on Tuesday and last weekend Sekiu had 35' viz along with Crescent Lake's 50' viz.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:

Ah, quit whining! Some of my more favorite dives have been in 8-10' vis- less than 5' sucks- I don't like that much, but this is what seperates us from the warm water wussy divers- sharpens your buddy and navigation skills, among other things. I had a really fun dive down on the boundary line last night- everything down there that I've seen 100 times already looks new and mysterious when is suddenly appears out of the murk. We had a great time!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Right on Nailer!

:supz: :bootyshake: :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nailer99 wrote:
Ah, quit whining! Some of my more favorite dives have been in 8-10' vis- less than 5' sucks- I don't like that much, but this is what seperates us from the warm water wussy divers- sharpens your buddy and navigation skills, among other things. I had a really fun dive down on the boundary line last night- everything down there that I've seen 100 times already looks new and mysterious when is suddenly appears out of the murk. We had a great time!
Agreed-I'd just rather start to hone my scooter skills in slightly better conditions . . .
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:
Agreed-I'd just rather start to hone my scooter skills in slightly better conditions . . .
I can defenitely understand your desire to not plow into the I-beams with the throttle wide open! ](*,)

I wasn't factoring speed into the equation, obviously.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sund Rock was great today. I expected crummy viz, but at the low low tide viz was 25'! :supz: Very nice. Is was so cool to be floating along the wall and see the schools of Coppers hovering out "in space"...

By the 3rd dive tide was high and viz went in the toilet... :toimonster: 8' or less, mostly less.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

We could live in Spokane and get to look at perch #-o
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:We could live in Spokane and get to look at perch #-o
And beer cans . . .

We diving tomorrow? What time?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We dove Cove 2 tonight, and I was delighted to see that the viz has finally become something reasonable. Now, we spent the first half of the dive at 20 feet, where it wasn't fantastic, but the water was absolutely LOADED with egg-yolk jellies, as well as moon jellies and comb jellies. But at depth, we probably had 20 feet of viz, which was really nice to see. The big exchange made for some strange water movement, especially in the shallows. At one point, we felt like we were caught in a huge windstorm, as tons of sea lettuce flew past us. But all in all, it was the best dive I've done in Cove 2 in over a month.

A bunch of penpoint gunnels, a grunt sculpin, probably 50 egg-yolk jellies. And we saw all that on a skills dive, where we weren't even looking.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

CaptnJack wrote:We could live in Spokane and get to look at perch #-o
Ahhh come on, poor Spokanians, I was just out there last weekend, and to my suprise; they have some good lake diving. Cool wrecks at recreational depths, and some deeper ones too.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I was in Vegas - the view was amazing... oh wait, you're talking about the vis! #-o I always enjoy the scenery in Vegas. :supz:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

gcbryan wrote:I get's much better when you get in your car and drive =D>

Sund Rock had 20' or more viz on Tuesday and last weekend Sekiu had 35' viz along with Crescent Lake's 50' viz.
Or fly.... Molokini vis was 100+ feet last week. Father's day at Cove 2 was the worst I've ever seen it. Somewhere between 6" and 6' depending on where you were. Didn't help that the tide was WAY out. Note to self; check tide tables. :book:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

747pilot wrote: Or fly.... Molokini vis was 100+ feet last week.
I was there in May, easily 150+ feet. Absolutely amazing. Ascents in the middle of the crater and you could see the boat way over there, the rim of the crater, and the bottom looked to be 10 feet away eventhough you were in 50 feet of water.

I had to remind myself to breathe through my regulator because it just plain didn't feel like I was underwater.
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

dsteding wrote:
747pilot wrote: Or fly.... Molokini vis was 100+ feet last week.
I was there in May, easily 150+ feet. Absolutely amazing. Ascents in the middle of the crater and you could see the boat way over there, the rim of the crater, and the bottom looked to be 10 feet away eventhough you were in 50 feet of water.

I had to remind myself to breathe through my regulator because it just plain didn't feel like I was underwater.
We were on the western edge. I was kind of surprised how few fish I saw. I spoke with the owner of a dive shop who had a photo taken there a few years ago of a Great White. Said the divers first thought it was a small whale at first because of the girth. They hunkered down on the bottom and snapped the picture. I guess when the strobe went off, it turn towards them then changed it's mind and left. Bet they were thinking "Oh THAT was a really bad idea." :pale:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

747pilot wrote:
We were on the western edge. I was kind of surprised how few fish I saw. I spoke with the owner of a dive shop who had a photo taken there a few years ago of a Great White. Said the divers first thought it was a small whale at first because of the girth. They hunkered down on the bottom and snapped the picture. I guess when the strobe went off, it turn towards them then changed it's mind and left. Bet they were thinking "Oh THAT was a really bad idea." :pale:
Very cool. There was a study done out of the Farallones a few years back using radio tags. The sharks there would range far and wide and then return, I wonder if it was one of the ones that is usually off the California coast.

We were inside the crater because we had some people doing their OW checkout dives (that just isn't right). Lots of life in there, including a pregnant white tip that cruised right over our heads.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Have you read the "Devil's Teeth?" It's a true story of a reporter who spends time on the Farallons with the white shark studying people. Good read - I have it if you'd like to borrow it. Tom Nic just finished it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

We were inside the crater because we had some people doing their OW checkout dives (that just isn't right). Lots of life in there, including a pregnant white tip that cruised right over our heads.
A few years ago I was with family in Maui, and I did one of the combined snorkel/Dive boats as I was the only diver.

On the way out to the crater I was chatting with one of the other divers, who had about 3 dives under his belt after OW. He proceeded to tell me how he had gotten certified in Maui, and felt that he was a really good diver because he had gotten certified in the local ocean, which was the "Real Deal". I'm not sure what he meant, but from his tone of voice I decided to buddy up with someone else....

(He spent most of his dive doing a really good impression of a yo-yo, 70fsw-0fsw #-o )

The life inside the crater is amazing though, like swimming in a fishbowl. I want to return and do the back wall sometime.

Jake