Octopus Hole or Sund Rock

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
jturner
Frequent Bubbler

Octopus Hole or Sund Rock

Post by jturner »

We are planning to do a dive or two on Saturday on Hood Canal and trying to decide where to go to. This will be our first time on that side of the sound. I keep hearing that Octopus Hole is fantastic but I'm a bit wary of the whole park on the side of the road and jump a rail thing. Is this a site that is easy to find or is it one that you are best having someone show you the first time around? Sund rock sounds like it is much the same but is more newbie friendly. Is it likely to be overcrowded on a Saturday this time of year?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Re: Octopus Hole or Sund Rock

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

The time I dove Octopus Hole I had trouble finding the turnout. I eventually found it but I drove past it at least once and ended up in the wrong turnout at first. I seem to recall that there are signs noting that the area is protected and its name ("Octopus Hole"), but the signs are present in at least one turnout which is much higher up off the water which isn't the one you want for entering the site.

Once we got in the water, we never actually found the wall. :dontknow: It wasn't a bad dive though.

Sund Rock is a better site for doing multiple dives because there's more to see and more variety. There's the north and south walls then some other stuff in the middle. That said, Sund Rock can get really busy on the weekends. I'd recommend getting there early (i.e., at Hoodsport 'n Dive when they open). You can also try calling ahead to see if they're expecting any big classes for the upcoming weekend as well. Worst case you can unload your gear in the turnout then park up on the road I suppose.
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

I'll also add that I've never had problems with crowds underwater at Sund Rock. Even when the parking was packed with a class, I didn't see a whole lot of other divers underwater. The problem can be getting one of the limited parking spaces that you're effectively paying a per person entry fee for.
jturner
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jturner »

Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I was afraid of with Octopus hole and what makes me lean towards Sund Rock. It sounds like both are great sites but we may have better luck at Sund Rock and should consider multiple dives.
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

Not everyone can find the reef at Octopus Hole. It's best to dive it with someone who's been there before, though Hoodsport N Dive does have a map of the site. Parking is limited and fills up quickly on the weekends (stays filled as well). There is some parking on the opposite side of 101, but it's narrow... All this being said, it is a great dive. When the visibility is good, it is outstanding.

Access to Sund Rock is via private property (unless you choose to climb down the hill from the pull out and swim around the point to dive). There is a fee which needs to be paid in advance at dive shop. My experience is similar to DecidedlyOdd, I've never found the water crowded. You never know when a big group (or lots of buddy pairs) will show up. Arriving early does help, but it's not a guarantee. I love diving at Sund Rock, there are more options than Octopus Hole and I believe that the variety of fauna is greater.

You really can't go wrong with either. Given the situation you've described, Sund Rock may be a better choice.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
jturner
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jturner »

Thanks again for the information. We ended up doing two dives at Sund Rock. First was at the North Wall which was phenomenal. Saw a number of lion's mane jellyfish and even a couple wolf eels. The second dive was an attempt at the South Wall but we didn't really find it... had a bit of current tossing us around. It was still a good dive once it settled.