Wacky Wednesday West – 07/23/2014

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Bex
Frequent Bubbler

Wacky Wednesday West – 07/23/2014

Post by Bex »

It's time for another “Wacky Wednesday West” night dive with GUE Seattle!!! This is a weekly fun dive event is open to ANY and ALL divers who wants to come out and dive, regardless of skill, background, etc.

Are you new at diving or Need a buddy? No Problem! We will fix you up with a buddy, any gear and a smile. But, please do respond to this message or PM me (aadolfi) or Bex (bex) or Koos (kdupreez) in advance if you need a buddy or any equipment and confirm what time you will be there. So, come on out for some FUN and meet other divers in the community, dive with some outstanding folks and try new equipment, or some skill and technique tweaks.

Typical dive times are as follows:

Dive 1 - 4:30 to 5:00pm splash
Dive 2 - 6:00 to 6:30pm splash
Dive 3 – 8:30pm (Optional social with food+beers)

Place: Alki, COVE 2 (http://goo.gl/maps/eNMW7)

Last minute fills can be had at 5th Dimension Scuba up the street on Harbor Ave.

Hope you can come join GUE Seattle for a dive!

Alex & Bex
archisgore
Aquaphile

Re: Wacky Wednesday West – 07/23/2014

Post by archisgore »

Going to try for Dive 1, but certainly in for 2 and 3.
aadolfi
Aquaphile

Post by aadolfi »

I'll be there or 1,2 & 3 this week!!!
The purpose of life should not be to journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy S#it!!!" What a Ride!!!
Diaulula
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Diaulula »

I would like to go on dives 1 & 2 if I can get a dive buddy and possibly borrow some gear. I'm just visiting Seattle this week and I brought most of my gear, but left the weights and tank at home!

I am also a new diver and have not taken my dry suit into the ocean yet (did pool dives and necessary pool skills). Is the water warm enough for me to stay a little shallow in my 7mm wet suit with 4mm vest?
aef123
Getting To Know Folks

Post by aef123 »

I'm down for dive 2 if anyone needs a buddy.
MightyGazebo
Just Settling In

Post by MightyGazebo »

Diaulula wrote: Is the water warm enough for me to stay a little shallow in my 7mm wet suit with 4mm vest?
You could, but chances are you'll be cold. Some people are less sensitive and are fine but me I was a bit chilly in a much thicker wet suit. I only dive dry here but some people are crazy enough to dive wet in colder water so it's really all about how sensitive to the cold you are.
rajaprabhu
Getting To Know Folks

Post by rajaprabhu »

I'm in for dive 1 and may be dive 2.
aef123
Getting To Know Folks

Post by aef123 »

aef123 wrote:I'm down for dive 2 if anyone needs a buddy.
Something came up. Won't be able to leave early enough to beat traffic. Catch you guys next week instead.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Diaulula wrote: I am also a new diver and have not taken my dry suit into the ocean yet (did pool dives and necessary pool skills). Is the water warm enough for me to stay a little shallow in my 7mm wet suit with 4mm vest?
Yes, you will be fine. Almost all new students in the PNW dive wet.

I'm surprised you got certified with no open water experience though.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think he was just saying that he had done the pool skills in the dry suit, but hadn't been in open water dry.

If he got certified without open water dives, that would be a serious breach of standards.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Diaulula
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Diaulula »

Jeremy wrote:
Diaulula wrote: I am also a new diver and have not taken my dry suit into the ocean yet (did pool dives and necessary pool skills). Is the water warm enough for me to stay a little shallow in my 7mm wet suit with 4mm vest?
Yes, you will be fine. Almost all new students in the PNW dive wet.

I'm surprised you got certified with no open water experience though.
I did my ocean dives in a wet suit, but I've done pool skills in my dry suit (certified in California where the water is much warmer!). I was trying to specify that I'm not entirely new to my dry suit, but I really don't have a lot of experience with it. I'd prefer to dive my wet suit since I'm just figuring out my buoyancy in it now and I have to relearn all of that in the dry suit. I didn't manage to make the WWW dive this time though. I ended up stuck in traffic on my way back from Gig Harbor where I was hanging off of docks for the day looking for nudibranchs. I did manage to find a Dendronotus iris, two Hermissenda crassicornis and five Eubranchus rupium on my trip though! The Eubranchus are just coming to the end of their breeding season so they won't be around for much longer.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Nice find on the Eubranchus! I sure wish we had been able to connect on this trip. I would have loved to show you local slugs!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames