Beginners in Cove 2 on Sunday's low tide?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
carlk3
Aquaphile

Beginners in Cove 2 on Sunday's low tide?

Post by carlk3 »

We're thinking of diving at Alki Cove 2 on Sunday on the low tide (the slack is at 12:22pm, after a 10.5 ft exchange). This will be our 14th dive and our first dive in Cove 2 without an instructor. (We've been diving at Edmonds.) I'd love your option on the pluses and minuses. Other comments and advice also welcome.

Pluses:
  • Get to Dive!
    Cove 2 not current sensitive (and we'd be on the slack anyway, should we get in the water sooner?)
    (others)
Minus:
  • Predicted to be 83 degrees and we'll in in dry suits
    Visibility poor because of the exchange (???) (will it be worse right after a 10.5 ft exchange?)
    (others)
Thanks,
Carl
cofford
Aquaphile

Re: Beginners in Cove 2 on Sunday's low tide?

Post by cofford »

Use caution getting in the water. At low tide, Cove 2 has tripping hazards. Inflate your BC and put your regulator in your mouth when you enter the water. Stay close to your buddy just in case they trip and need help.

Otherwise, be conservative and have fun!
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

cofford wrote:Use caution getting in the water. At low tide, Cove 2 has tripping hazards. Inflate your BC and put your regulator in your mouth when you enter the water. Stay close to your buddy just in case they trip and need help.

Otherwise, be conservative and have fun!
+1 I would also defog your mask and have it on also.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The only hazard at Cove 2 (other than the ferry and not having a reasonable gas plan) is all the exposed junk to trip and/or fall on at low tide.

Its not a current sensitive site at all and can be dove at any time current-wise.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Parking hazard x 2 - popular site for everyone. On a nice Sunday afternoon you will have trouble getting a spot. Edmonds is the same though.
The summer parking enforcement is out. You can easily get a ticket if you over stay.

As stated-tripping hazard. Lots of junk at low tide in Cove 2. It also will pull crap down so viz could be impacted.
Heat stroke - Personally I will not suit up > 85*F.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

On hot days its all about timing. Get everything ready i.e. regs and wing on your tanks and charged, mask hood and fins all in easy grabbing area. Then its all about keeping the time between zipping up and actually stepping into the water short. Agreed on having your reg in your mouth as you enter the water as well as an inflated BCD. As for viz, that is a crapshoot.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

CaptnJack wrote:The only hazard at Cove 2 (other than the ferry and not having a reasonable gas plan) is all the exposed junk to trip and/or fall on at low tide.

Its not a current sensitive site at all and can be dove at any time current-wise.
+1 on what CaptnJack said. Watch your footing! on zero or negative tides there are old pilings, concrete blocks and large rocks from the waters edge to where you can comfortably start finning out. The rocks are slick and unstable which makes them a potential tripping hazard if you're not careful.

No matter what the exchange is - Walk around goose poop hill :)

On a big exchange day don't be shocked if you feel a little bit of current. It's nothing that will sweep you out to the middle of Elliott Bay, but you might feel it.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

Thanks for all the great tips. Much appreciated. - Carl