Madrona Point in BC

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Madrona Point in BC

Post by Scubie Doo »

I will be diving Madrona Point Friday. Has anyone dove this site? Any tips/recommendations? Thanks.
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Madrona Point in BC

Post by GearHead »

As luck would have it, a couple of us were up there last weekend. The site is about a half hour north of downtown Nanaimo, and you'll need directions to find it. We got directions from the dive shop at the north end of town.

The parking area is a small cull-de-sac in a residential neighborhood. From there, a short trail leads to the rock shore. It's an easy entry, followed by a moderate surface swim out to the buoy that marks the wall. The wall goes down to about 90 ft, and has numerous cracks that provide habitat for octopus and wolf eels. If you choose to swim some distance under water, you'll need to use a compass.

We were blessed with spectacular visibility last weekend. Hope you get more of the same.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

yes several times:
The shoreline is sorta like salt creek minus the surf - smooth vegetated rocks. Doubles are rather foolish risk of a broken leg imo. A large single is fine.
The wall is a bit of a swim east, swimmable but wastes a lot of gas since you have to swim along the bottom to find it. Its really fun to scooter. The hike depends on how many other cars are parked on the residential street. No porta-pottie or any facilities are there last time I dove it.
Max depth is 90-95ft
Viz will probably be 50ft+ right now.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Wow, sounds awesome! I did some internet research and it is listed as a top shore dive in BC. Thanks for the insight and fast responses, much appreciated.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Scubie,
You'll love that site, we've dove it many times.
There should still be the float out there... swim out and drop to the tanks anchoring the float. Once down, keep the same heading (about 30-40 ft) and the wall will start and head E. Follow it along for a bit, and you should see a ton of octo's. Only dove it one time and didn't see any.

Local's call that the big wall. For a shallow 2nd and good macro, you can enter on the left for the small wall. Only 40-45ft deep but lots of critters.

How long you going to be up there? Just hanging out before/after Port Hardy?

Sink or Swim scuba is the local shop.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KneeDeep wrote:Scubie,
You'll love that site, we've dove it many times.
There should still be the float out there... swim out and drop to the tanks anchoring the float. Once down, keep the same heading (about 30-40 ft) and the wall will start and head E. Follow it along for a bit, and you should see a ton of octo's. Only dove it one time and didn't see any.

Local's call that the big wall. For a shallow 2nd and good macro, you can enter on the left for the small wall. Only 40-45ft deep but lots of critters.

How long you going to be up there? Just hanging out before/after Port Hardy?

Sink or Swim scuba is the local shop.
Thanks for the info. We are diving/staying on hornby island on Saturday and Sunday :)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Just dove it a few weeks ago. Sink or Swim is a great shop - Todd or Jill are good ones to talk to.
When you walk on the path through the woods, don't go straight ahead at the first opportunity. Instead, take the turn to the right, and keep walking with your gear on until you get to the bench area, then go down from there. Find a good V-like entry, and be sure to turn around once you're in the water to find some landmarks so you'll know where to exit again.
Swim out to the buoy and you'll be on the big wall - it will go off to your right. Explore various levels.
Here's a dive map to help you visualize what we're talking about!
Always on my must-dive list, along with Tyee Cove, whenever I head up north.
- Janna
Attachments
madronapoint.jpg
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Very impressive map, Janna. Thank you!
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

That's the map!

We actually entered the water at the Big V. I was carrying a small twinset and liked that path better. Once in the water, there is little difference between the two entry points.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yeah, and it depends on the tide too. Lower tide can make the Vs more prominent.
Note that I didn't draw that map! The artist's name is on the bottom of it.
Glad it could help someone!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Love this side of the Island... can dive it (usually) when the charters won't go out the wrecks, and there is lot of side not all the far from each other.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.