Cancun Diving

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Cancun Diving

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Everyone!

Happy Wednesday!!!
I'm going to Cancun in Febuary for a week and I get to try warm water diving for the first time! :)

Anyone been there before? Have any favorite dive spots or dive boats you like to use? I'm also going to try to get to Cozumel for a day or two of diving! So tips for there would be helpful!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking forward to Sea Turtles and Guacamole!

Happy Diving!!!
:) ScubaJess
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Cancun Diving

Post by GearHead »

Are you actually staying in Cancun, or further south? There is some nice reef diving down by Puerto Adventuras and Akumal, roughly 45 minutes south of Cancun. The water is warm and wonderfully clear. However the biggest draw in that area are the Cenotes. Read some of the threads about guided cavern tours to learn what you would need to be prepared.

Cozumel is right across from Playa del Carmen, yet is a different world of diving. Much more variety in underwater topography, corals, sharks and marine species. The current ranges from a pleasant drift to Wahoo!! If I were going back there for a week, it would be either for cave diving around Puerto Adventuras, or drift diving in Cozumel. (Check out the review I wrote about Cozumel in October.)
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks!!!!
I will look it up!
Sooooo excited!!!!!
Yes I'm staying at a resort in Cancun with my family!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I've dove Cancun, it wasn't too exciting compared to Cozumel. (But if you've never dove in clear, warm, tropical waters before, it will seem like nirvana).

If you have time, Cozumel can be done as a long day trip -- and IMO, it's worth it. You should probably consult schedules and book ahead to get on a dive boat.

However, if I was going back to Cancun again, I would hop the ferry right over to Isla Mujeres. Didn't get the chance to dive there last time but it's s'pposed to be a lot better than Cancun itself.

Have fun! (And take me with you???) :)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jess, have you decided which dive op you will use in Coz? If not give me a holler or talk to me Thursday nite at the dive!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Yeah, if you can drive down to Playa del Carmen, Puerto Averturas or Akumal area (which is only about 1-1.5 hrs) is really worth it... there's a few sites. Not sure how much time you can do just for diving but worth it.

BUT, if you can make it down south farther... make it Cozumel, THAT is worth the work (for me)
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There are a couple of dive ops that seem to get good reviews and recommendations in Cancun - Manta Divers and Always Diving. Reading the reviews gives me the feeling (although it may be inaccurate) that Manta caters more to advanced divers and AD more to beginners. I do not personally know anybody who has dived out of Cancun.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

If you make it to Cozumel, Aldora is about the only one with big tanks. They have small boats so you don't have to get in a cattle boat, I believe they will even pick you up at the ferry. You just have to arrange it in advance.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

You will be in for a surprise and a treat the first time you stand up with a light wetsuit and an Aluminum 80 on your back. Feels like jumping in the water naked.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

deep diver wrote:If you make it to Cozumel, Aldora is about the only one with big tanks. They have small boats so you don't have to get in a cattle boat, I believe they will even pick you up at the ferry. You just have to arrange it in advance.
Actually Living Underwater also runs big tanks.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Gdog wrote:
deep diver wrote:If you make it to Cozumel, Aldora is about the only one with big tanks. They have small boats so you don't have to get in a cattle boat, I believe they will even pick you up at the ferry. You just have to arrange it in advance.
Actually Living Underwater also runs big tanks.
Good to know, seems like it used to be just Aldora
It's a good day.... nobody died!