Bubbles and Suds - AM edition - 2-22 EUP

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Ya know it has been a while since I have tooled around EUP. So if you have never been there or haven't been there in a bit COME ON DOWN.
I won't be having beer at the end of this dive, but might be having some coffee and a bite?

Where - Edmonds Underwater Park

When - 8AM SPLASH!!! (please show with enough time to be all ready to walk in the water at 8am)

One tank, but you are welcome to stay and do as many as you want.

Please PM me if you need any more information...

Or email me at ricknorris@gmail.com
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Re: Bubbles and Suds - AM edition - 2-22 EUP

Post by Cupronickel »

Im in, I just need an experienced buddy. Id like to do two dives if anyones up for that.
A flute without holes is not a flute, a doughnut without a hole is a danish.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Yeah I will only want to do one due to the 10 foot exchange that is happening that day. Seem close to 8am will be some slack and then after this a LOT of water will be ebbing out of the Sound. Seems it could get a little current during this. Not saying its not do-able, just not something I want to do.

But I will be glad to show you around
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Post by Cupronickel »

I should probably be avoiding currents for now seeing as how few dives I have, so one dive is probably a good ideaa for me too. Are most dives around here generally planned at slack tide?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Some sites are more current sensitive than others. Cove 2 is a good back up plan if you want to dive and there is an exchange that might cause current in other sites such as Mukilteo and EUP. The coves seem to be pretty protected from current issues.

Getting to know tides and exchanges is a good idea for Puget Sound diving. I will be happy to go over some of the tools that I use when we meet up Sunday.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Post by Cupronickel »

Thats awesome, alki beach is only 10 minutes from my house. That would be cool if you could show me a little, I have a basic understanding of how tides and currents work, but not with respect to dive planning in the Sound.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I'm already signed up for a Bandito charter Sunday morning, otherwise I'd be there.

I haven't found Edmonds to be very current sensitive, a big exchange over several hours will certainly be noticeable, yet still manageable. The best thing is to streamline your gear and your trim position in the water. Edmonds is a good place to practice that.

BTW, Cove 2 is in Seacrest Park, right next to the water taxi dock and Marination restaurant.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Having dived EUP a LOT, I would have to beg to differ on the current. I also have learned that diving on a super low tide is also not that fun. So YMMV, but for me I have crawled back using the Jetty way rope before and that is NOT ideal diving "for me anyways". So I will most certainly share that with newer divers when asking about EUP diving.
Our opinions differ on this and that makes neither of us right or wrong, just wanted to add my experience.

Disclaimer
trim and streamlined gear should be the target for anyone pursuing diving on a regular basis but it's not going make much of a difference if the Puget Sound is moving a lot of water.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I also never bother to check the tides when diving Edmonds. Or Mukilteo, Possession Fingers, Cove 2, Three Tree, Les Davis, Redondo, or Sunnyside for that matter.

I probably have 60-70 dives at EUP. Once I did have to struggle against current coming in as Norris mentioned.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Rick, are you going to the giant boulder reefs Sunday or sticking to the park itself (<40fsw)?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Probably just sticking to the park.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Jeremy wrote:Rick, are you going to the giant boulder reefs Sunday or sticking to the park itself (<40fsw)?
Can you tell me more about the giant boulder reef at EUP, namely the location? :)
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

I think I'll join you guys.
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

johndo88 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Rick, are you going to the giant boulder reefs Sunday or sticking to the park itself (<40fsw)?
Can you tell me more about the giant boulder reef at EUP, namely the location? :)
Straight west of the dry dock, 50-60 fsw
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram