Seaplane recovery in an alpine lake

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Awesome story Curt. A job VERY well done! =D>

One question, how much did all this cost the owner? I know you mentioned that a new plane would actually cost more than recovering this sunk one, but seriously, paying for a helicopter to delivery gear and airlift a plane out of the mountains (not to mention all the flights to and from the lake), has to majorly add up. Is it possible that this was just more fun for the owner than simply buying a new plane?
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Seth T. wrote:Awesome story Curt. A job VERY well done! =D>

One question, how much did all this cost the owner? I know you mentioned that a new plane would actually cost more than recovering this sunk one, but seriously, paying for a helicopter to delivery gear and airlift a plane out of the mountains (not to mention all the flights to and from the lake), has to majorly add up. Is it possible that this was just more fun for the owner than simply buying a new plane?
This response is being written by Curt, I am on Daves computer up in Juneau right now.

We are having an incredible trip diving some wrecks that are not seen very ofter.

The plane owner has lots of seaplane friends that donated their time to fly stuff in and out. I am sure it was an interesting project for them also being involved in this recovery.

I am sure that the helicopter was the most expensive part, and I am guessing that it cost around $10,000 (just an estimate on my part).

I also could see that the owner enjoyed the challenge of getting his plane out, as did I.
Dave Mitchell
Aquaphile

Right ON!

Post by kjc »

Say Hi to Dave and his family for me!

I hope you love Juneau!

I do!

The wrecks and the dives there were spectacular!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

what great photos - wow!!!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Re: Seaplane recovery in an alpine lake

Post by Curt McNamee »

Yesterday, and after several years of restoration, I saw the plane that I recovered from Lake Isabel in the Cascade Mountains from 230 ft. Ken Berger, the owner, did a great job and what a sight it was.
Fully restored like new, Ken did a great job
Fully restored like new, Ken did a great job
The plane now named "Isabel"
The plane now named "Isabel"
Attachments
Was on display at the Paine Field Air Show
Was on display at the Paine Field Air Show
A new state of the art instrument panel
A new state of the art instrument panel
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Really neat. Lots of the links to photos in this thread are dead. Is there an ADM article about the recovery I can check out?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

renoun wrote:Really neat. Lots of the links to photos in this thread are dead. Is there an ADM article about the recovery I can check out?
No ADM article, maybe we can talk John into doing one :-)

Those were pictures and not links, maybe they can be fixed, not sure what happened to them can an administrator look at that please.
Curt McNamee
Anthony
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Anthony »

Awesome intro to the story. I'm looking forward to this article along with the pictures of the plane as it came back up. I really can't imagine the plane being worth salvaging, even at top of the line. Being underwater everything would have to be replaced anyway, you'd think. Gotta love the determination!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Curt McNamee wrote:
renoun wrote:Really neat. Lots of the links to photos in this thread are dead. Is there an ADM article about the recovery I can check out?
No ADM article, maybe we can talk John into doing one :-)

Those were pictures and not links, maybe they can be fixed, not sure what happened to them can an administrator look at that please.

Sorry, Curt- the board has been updated several times since those pics were posted, I'm afraid they're unrecoverable. Hopefully, you or John saved some copies?

And thanks for the follow-up- incredible to see the restoration complete like that!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Anthony wrote:I really can't imagine the plane being worth salvaging!
With floats it's probably worth at least $230,000. That's worth putting in a bit of elbow grease. Being in fresh-water the electronics and electrical wiring were probably the only components requiring major work/replacement. Everything else probably just needed meticulous cleaning/inspection/reassembly.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Curt McNamee wrote:Those were pictures and not links, maybe they can be fixed, not sure what happened to them can an administrator look at that please.

Sorry, Curt- the board has been updated several times since those pics were posted, I'm afraid they're unrecoverable. Hopefully, you or John saved some copies?!
actually they were links, all of the broken ones were hosted here:

http://usera.imagecave.com/curt9729/

for example:

Code: Select all

[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/curt9729/IMG_0454.JPG[/img]

i fixed the original post, which had link to flickr images that were still valid.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks for the update. It is rare indeed when one gets to see the result. Must be satisfying to you also.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

I tried to revive that link, but the information is gone. When I did that original post the pictures that were posted on this forum were stored off site I guess, I remember something about having to set up an account with imagecave.com but since I did not continue to use it my account was closed :-(

I will try and dig up the pictures and repost them, I know John also has some that maybe he can throw up on the board again.
Curt McNamee
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

I was talking to Ken Berger about Lake Isabel when I saw him yesterday about putting together an expedition to see what else is in that Lake. He knows there are several airplanes on the bottom and who knows what else.

Anyone have a small side scan ??? Anything we find we can dive on and take a look, what an interesting project that would be !!!! \:D/
Curt McNamee
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Curt McNamee wrote:I was talking to Ken Berger about Lake Isabel when I saw him yesterday about putting together an expedition to see what else is in that Lake. He knows there are several airplanes on the bottom and who knows what else.

Anyone have a small side scan ??? Anything we find we can dive on and take a look, what an interesting project that would be !!!! \:D/

I'm in. Call me if you need divers, Curt!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Curt McNamee wrote:I was talking to Ken Berger about Lake Isabel when I saw him yesterday about putting together an expedition to see what else is in that Lake. He knows there are several airplanes on the bottom and who knows what else.

There should be four more that I know of on the bottom. Unless they are on the sides like the one you pulled that lake is really deep. But it would be fun to see what it looks like.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Talk about recycling, that is great. Good to see it will fly once more.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Someone has now offered a sidescan, now just have to put a plan together :-) anyone want to help out !!!
Curt McNamee
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I see that plane all the time in Monroe. I loved the post of its recovery and all involved. Every time I'm at 1/4 midget track with my son,adjacent to the airport. I like to tell the story of the plane that was recoverd in lake isabelle. It sits in plain view of everyone at the track.
Who run barter town?