B&S 4th Annual Crab Dive & Boil!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Mac
Aquaphile

B&S 4th Annual Crab Dive & Boil!

Post by Mac »

Crab Season is finally here! Come join us for a crab dive and boil on the beach on Thursday, July 9th at Edgewater Beach in Mukilteo.

We usually have a good turnout for this event, so it's a great time to come down and meet the B&S gang, or revisit us if it's been a while. Feel free to bring your family along, even if they don't dive.

The plan is to hold the dive and boil at Edgewater Beach, and hope the Oil Dock is still accessible. If not, show up anyway, and we'll come up with a "Plan-B" there. Edgewater beach is a public park at the end of Mt Baker Avenue in Mukilteo (http://tinyurl.com/oll8cxb). There's about 25 FREE parking spots there that don't get used much, so with any luck, we'll have the place to ourselves.

The first divers will arrive around 5:00pm and we will be there for several hours, so feel free to show up whenever you can. We usually dive in multiple small groups for this event, and can buddy you up with someone if necessary. Be sure to get your shellfish license ahead of time. I'll be bringing a burner/pot and some basics, but extra boiling gear, condiments, and side dishes are always welcome.

Hope to see you all there!
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Re: B&S 4th Annual Crab Dive & Boil!

Post by Echo »

2015-06-30_18-51-33_855.jpg
Does this mean no crabbing at the oil dock?
-Erika
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Echo wrote:
2015-06-30_18-51-33_855.jpg
Does this mean no crabbing at the oil dock?
Pretty sure they mean this?

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

I'm totally up to being a Guinea pig and testing the power of that sign
-Erika
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

To be fair, the dock is not 'to the east' of that sign
-Erika
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

I am at Edgewater Beach and there is not a single sign about approaching the 'construction area'. I think we're in business!
-Erika
Iqjumpuw
Avid Diver

Post by Iqjumpuw »

I'll be there at 5pm. Are we going to dive more than once? I'll bring some sodas too.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Did this event turn out okay? Able to dive under the oil dock? Just curious.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

This doesn't happen until this Thursday. I will be there so will give a full report.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

I will try to come up if I can
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
Mac
Aquaphile

Post by Mac »

The Everett Herald has an article today saying that demolition of the oil-dock is scheduled to start the first week of August.

For what it's worth, I did a crab-dive from Edgewater beach over the weekend. Had pretty good luck without even going to the oil-dock, so I think we're in business even if they the oil-dock is off-limits. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Mac
Aquaphile

Post by Mac »

Just an update for those of you who are planning to attend. The crab dive is still happening on Thursday, and all are welcome to come. This dive is usually pretty well-attended, and I think I have confirmations from at least 10 divers so far plus some familes, so it's shaping up to be a good time.

This event typically turns into a bit of an informal potluck. If you'd like to bring along a salad, side-dish, dessert, etc, you're more than welcome. Here's a list of things that people have said that they'll be bringing, in case you'd like to contribute, but don't want to duplicate:

2 sets of cookware (pots/burners/tongs/etc)
paper plates & plasticware
crab boil spice
corn
potatoes
salad (type not specified)
chips
soda
beer (don't think this is allowed in a public city park, so our 'official policy' is bring/drink at your own risk)
pliers

There aren't a lot of tables or seating at Edgewater park, so it might be worth bringing some camp chairs if you have them. Also, please make sure to bring your shellfish license and catch card. WDFW does check-in on the Mukilteo dive sites from time-to-time, and we don't want any trouble. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

I've been diving it everyday since season opening. It's fine to dive, just be aware of the boat traffic
-Erika
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

I've got a crab boiler that I'll bring
-Erika
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Check out this topic for more info on the Oil Dock

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=173
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Then check out this link and see that divers and boaters are asked to use caution as it seems that pier construction has not began and should not until August...

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/ferrie ... multimodal
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Sorry for the really dumb question. Can you dive for crab under the pier or not?

I have read all the posts and it seems like a "dive at your own risk" situation.

Not looking to stir the pot. Just looking for a more direct answer :)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

As far as WSDOT is concerned, until the construction actually starts on the oil dock its a "use caution" scenario. At this time there is no movement on the dock itself.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Scubie Doo wrote:Sorry for the really dumb question. Can you dive for crab under the pier or not?

I have read all the posts and it seems like a "dive at your own risk" situation.

Not looking to stir the pot. Just looking for a more direct answer :)
Norris is spot on with his reply. Even before the plan of demolishing the oil docks, which hasn't started yet, it is a "dive at your own risk" situation, as you've quoted it. Why do divers go there? Well, for the simple reason that it is where you will find the mother load of crabs. You will find submerged pilings, some are dangling, which makes you wonder, when it will ever drop or fall.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

It IS a cool dive and yeah some dangling pilings and lots of life. Crabbin' not necessarily done right under the pier as they are all over the place.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Wow what a turn out last night. The crab was delicious and there was a LOT!!!! 10 or so divers maxing out on 15-20 minute dives. Three boiler pots full of crab, corn and potatoes. Weather was fantastic and company was great!
Thanks MAC for organizing and thanks to all that showed and made it a time to remember!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Norris wrote:Wow what a turn out last night. The crab was delicious and there was a LOT!!!! 10 or so divers maxing out on 15-20 minute dives. Three boiler pots full of crab, corn and potatoes. Weather was fantastic and company was great!
Thanks MAC for organizing and thanks to all that showed and made it a time to remember!
It was definitely a feast. I think there were at least 13 divers, with at least 65 "legal" crabs harvested, and not one of it went to waste. Yummy!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
PlayingInJeans
Frequent Bubbler

Re: RE: Re: B&S 4th Annual Crab Dive & Boil!

Post by PlayingInJeans »

Echo wrote:I'm totally up to being a Guinea pig and testing the power of that sign
I like you.