Port Townsend area dives 3rd, 4th and 5th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Port Townsend area dives 3rd, 4th and 5th

Post by McGlencoe »

I'm headed up to PT this weekend, if anyone wants to dive, would love to have the company.

The flood exchange is pretty gnarly, so Pt. Hudson could be a real short dive to the barge, with a lot of time on the lee side of the marina. Same for a bottle hunt on the waterfront, could be more of a drift dive, LoL!

That big of a flood exchange, it might be a good time to dive the Ranger on a flood tide, lots of water coming in, may flush out the crap at least a little and there might be some viz more than 1' or 2'… :rofl:

A bit of a drive, but Pt. Whitney or Ediz Hook would be a good ones to do in the area.

Here is the outlook for the 4th & 5th, Port Townsend, 0.5 miles S of Point Hudson, Washington Current

mjbickford
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Port Townsend area dives 3rd, 4th and 5th

Post by mjbickford »

I might be convinced to try the ranger in the afternoon. It loojs like the current tails off to 1knt, and the flood is coming in near 5:00pm.

Let me know. My guest leaves on the coupeville ferry @ 3:30, so anything after that i can make.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

You missed it by a week or more, Should have gone then. Hudson will be gnarly and you won't have much of a slack if any. My experience is on big exchanges is to stay away from the barge unless you are a very strong swimmer. The current frequently never really slacks and because of the eddy current caused by the point seldom ever blows inward.
mjbickford
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjbickford »

Im with dusty in regards to pt hudson.

What might be good conditions would be to drop in at keystone beach, and drift all the way to the jetty. I would have to ask arround, as i havent done it yet, but i havr heared its fun and the currents might work for it.
taylortex
Frequent Bubbler

Post by taylortex »

These are horrible tides to dive admiralty inlet and straits, not worth the 30 min dive per day. Go to hood canal.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

I talked with Don and Jesse at Octopus Gardens and they said viz will be in the 7' range or so on Hudson, with the Ranger being soup. Don suggested Pt. Whitney, they just did a dive down there a day or so ago that had 10' or so of soup on the top and then 15'+ below that. Good dive with little action from the current.

We're planning on diving Pt Hudson at 10:30-ish on Sat, but not headed for the barge, probably just stay in the lee of the rocks and sight see.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Anywhere past the dogleg in the jetty is pretty much the same. Believe me when I say it's bad juju. I have more dives than I can count at Hudson, probably more than just about anyone else and I have a very strong respect for the currents there. Stay in the shallows. As soon as you drop over the edge there the current will be ripping. By 1130 you'll be talking 2kts or more. Not only that being the 4th I would be willing to bet you won't be able to park anywhere close to the maritime center.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

It looks like you are a fairly new diver. I would listen to Dusty as he has been there more than anyone I know. We've read enough about recovering divers, don't need another one.
Being a good diver is knowing when to call the dive and either go to a different site or not dive at all.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

I've dove with Dusty and have huge respect for his knowledge of this area. Well ok, 60South and I dove while he took pics, LoL!

The reason for posting up is to get feedback and will adjust accordingly.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awe well, It was my policy to tell everyone that I was not a great dive buddy. Glen is a good buddy.

The last weekend in July will be great for Hudson.
tide.9914.png
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

The guy I was going to be diving Hudson with was adamant that we could dive it at slack, but I told him a lot of other people, including Rich (Dusty), said not to do it, so we are now planning on hitting Pt. Whitney on Sunday.

Not sure what time yet, but as it isn't supposed to be all that current sensitive, so does it matter?

Who's got Pt. Whitney advice?

Thanks to all who contributed.