Lake Union dive to find lost boat keys (any restriction?)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Lake Union dive to find lost boat keys (any restriction?)

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Everyone!
Hopeing to get a little help. My friend and fellow diver dropped his boat keys in West Lake Union under his boat as he was tying it up at the dock. :eek: I volunteered to help him go look for his keys. Does anyone know of any restrictions to do a quick dive in lake Union? He said max depth would only be 15 feet. Also any tips on how to find keys in the muck?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :angelblue: Supposed to meet up at 10am tomorrow morning.

:pirate:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Lake Union dive to find lost boat keys (any restriction?)

Post by Jeff Pack »

The bottom muck is likely highly contaminated, as is most of the lake bottom.

I certainly wouldn't
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks for the tips and advise! We called it off. Safety first. Hopefully he can call a locksmith to get a new key?
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

chances of finding it in the layer of duck poop is highly unlikely.. get a strong rare earth magnet and go fishing ;)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

He tried fishing with a magnet for an hour then gave up and called a locksmith!

I bet the fish were so confused! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

There is also a lot of stuff to get entangled in down there.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tangfish wrote:There is also a lot of stuff to get entangled in down there.
If any of the boats have a faulty shore power connection, electrocution is a real threat. Does not happen that often but is also easily confused with drowning by the medical examiner so real incidence rate is hard to know. Avoid swimming or diving in marinas if you can.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Ah, come on guys. I have done over a hundred dives in Lake Union and found lots of great stuff. That said if you get caught you might get yelled at. When my friend Jim found a body on the bottom and called it in the cops had the nerve to yell at him for diving there. That was all over 10 years ago. YMMV
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Kruse wrote:Ah, come on guys. I have done over a hundred dives in Lake Union and found lots of great stuff. That said if you get caught you might get yelled at. When my friend Jim found a body on the bottom and called it in the cops had the nerve to yell at him for diving there. That was all over 10 years ago. YMMV
Times have changed :(
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

At night, when it's windy and rainy is a good time to go. Just keep your light pointed down. There is one spot loaded with old trade tokens. Its right next to Dukes Chowder house. Under the Museum of History is all fill which all the glass items are still in good shape. Then right next to shore at the sea plane dock is where I found all my blob top Ranier beer bottles.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

If I'm not mistaken, this is Seattle Police Harbor jurisdiction and there is a harbor code covering this area. Call them prior to diving.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ohopdiver wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is Seattle Police Harbor jurisdiction and there is a harbor code covering this area. Call them prior to diving.
Technically yes, but they don't really care and depending on who you get on the phone they may not even know seattle code.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeff Kruse wrote:Ah, come on guys. I have done over a hundred dives in Lake Union and found lots of great stuff. That said if you get caught you might get yelled at. When my friend Jim found a body on the bottom and called it in the cops had the nerve to yell at him for diving there. That was all over 10 years ago. YMMV
Times have changed :(

OR how dare you find the body the cops dumped there........ :rofl: :tomnic: :penelope:
Jeff Castor
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

pogiguy05 wrote:
OR how dare you find the body the cops dumped there........ :rofl: :tomnic: :penelope:
Yah, the cops didn't seem to happy about it. They said to tell our buddies not to dive there anymore.