Victoria Diving

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Victoria Diving

Post by YellowEye »

Hi

Anybody have any recommendations for diving Victoria?

Race Rocks is on the list to do. Likely Ogden Point too.

Normally, I'm not too much of a wreck person, I'm more of a marine life guy. Is the GB Church worth it? I'm looking for spots with good wide angle photography, with plenty of macro for my buddies if possible.

Thanks!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Re: Victoria Diving

Post by Greg Jensen »

Ogden Pt is a must-do. Easy access, great day or night. Ten mile point is also excellent, but you'll want to hit slack on a day without a big exchange. Willis point is good and a great fall-back if it's too rough elsewhere.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

How long you going to be in the area and when? All weekend Madrona Point is worth the drive, as you could do the big wall (great wide)and do the small wall for macro. Though the small wall may not be too interesting without a camera. Or do Tyee as a second dive that's maybe 10m away... we using keep the suits on and drive over.

Tyee you can be 2 dives in its self... go left or right (I like to go right for the resident wolfie pair)

Willis Point and McKenzie Bight are a couple others that are pretty close to Victoria. McKenzie Bite & Willis Point are both walls... with Willis Point easy 60ft wall and bottoms out around 100-105ft. I haven't done McKenzie Bight... pain to get to.

Race Rock was a bit underwhelming, but 'ok' for seals.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thank you Greg and Coll.

We're going mid April for a 3 day weekend. Staying in Victoria.

Coll -- Did you do West Race Wall? I've heard good things about it. You think those other walls are better?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The GB Church is good for wide angles, the anemones on the booms are cool. Not really a macro site, it doesn't get much current and is more of a 2nd dive kinda place than a destination dive. The Mackenzie is a destination dive though.

The sponge sites in Saanich Inlet are cool (Rockfish Divers can take you there). But they are on the deep end of recreational dives and hence shorter than you might like (90+ft).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.