Crabbing?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Crabbing?

Post by E_Mo »

A buddy and I were thinking about going crabbing, sans crab pot. Has anyone done any crabbing by hand while diving? Any tips/tricks anyone could share?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Re: Crabbing?

Post by Magoi »

You will need a crab bag to put the keepers into and a caliper to measure. You can harvest dungeness and red rocks, but I only like to harvest dungeness. I think the best way to get them is to pin them to the bottom and then pick them up from the back. They will run when you get close, so you need to watch and learn how to approach them. With 2 divers you can kind of herd them into one diver. I like to try to find them when they are buried in the sand.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
mattlezeay
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mattlezeay »

I found it much easier to "distract" the crabs into another diver, so one actually gets the attention of it and then you force it to run into the other diver behind it. Watch out when you do grab them, they will kick up a ton of silt so vis will drop fast. Also, if you grab them from behind, you can pinch them between thumb and pointer finger which allows you to hold them and measure them. Also gripping them from behind keeps them from clawing you.

And watch your air! You will go through it much faster, so really pay attention.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

E_Mo wrote:A buddy and I were thinking about going crabbing, sans crab pot. Has anyone done any crabbing by hand while diving? Any tips/tricks anyone could share?
phpBB [video]
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Going on Friday, I'll let you know how we do.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown