Harpers Ferry Pier 7/1

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
StrangeDoc
Avid Diver

Harpers Ferry Pier 7/1

Post by StrangeDoc »

http://theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=169
Looking to meet at 12pm for a 12:30 splash. I will be there earlier but 12pm will be the soonest I will be able to get in the water again.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Re: Harpers Ferry Pier 7/1

Post by rcontrera »

You do have to remember that the review you have in your link was written quite a few years ago. Since it was written, the old pier and the dolphins were all pulled out as well as quite a few of the pilings that were scattered across the bottom. There is a new pier and floating dock that has been installed in it's place which is pretty nice as far as piers go.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Yes, I wonder how it looks under the surface now. Used to be a really nice dive. Hopefully things are still ok down there.....
StrangeDoc
Avid Diver

Post by StrangeDoc »

It seems most of the reviews on that site are fairly old now. I am going earlier than the time I said above with a friend, but was hoping that someone could else could come join me for a second dive at 12pm. Either way I should be able to see how it is though.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

If I were home I would gladly do with you. Have a great dive!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

If you dive this please post a report, and possibly update the thread in the Dive Site section. Thanks!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
StrangeDoc
Avid Diver

Post by StrangeDoc »

So it was a good dive. There was a fair current there even though the exchange wasn't very big. We entered on the shore which was a bit treacherous climbing down the rocks. There were a lot of fisherman going for crabs on the pier. Vis between 0-10 was decent around 20+ft viz, 10-30 dropped down to about 5ft, 30ft - 50ft opened back up a bit to 15ft. It was a bit of a surface swim going out from the shore, but found the rope and was able to follow it to the wreck. There were not really any structure of the boat left, it was all pretty much rubble with a lot of life on and around it. We were there for a little bit then made our way over to the bottle field keeping wide of the pier. Found one octo in a bottle. Then we made our way back surfacing while out at about 15ft. Couple of guys on the pier called us over to see if we would help find their crab pot that they just lost, we did. One could enter at the pier, there is a floating section that is at 15ft and would be a little better getting to the guide rope. But there were a lot of fishermen on it. When we went up to the pier to find the crab pot it was mostly people fishing for crab. We did see a lot of red rock crab all over.