seattle area dive question

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
JJHACK
Aquaphile

seattle area dive question

Post by JJHACK »

Going to seattle with my wife Saturday for a late afternoon evening dive. Where to go? someplace between redondo and edmonds.

She is not a fan of Redondo, and we have been to the alki sites quite a lot. Any other gems with reasoable access and available parking?
The best things in life are not things
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Re: seattle area dive question

Post by jmartel »

How about 3 tree in Burien? Usually better visibility and diveable in most tides. Usually it's not terribly crowded, but there's only a handful of parking spots there. If you have to, you can drop off gear and then park on the main road.

Here's a dive map. Go to the right when you get in the water.

http://www.theperfectdive.com/media/maps/13.pdf
Last edited by jmartel on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Saltwater Park. Good parking, but a bit of a surface swim out to the 3 artificial reefs. It's just north of Redondo. Also has some depth to it in case you need to get under the muck.
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

stphnmartin wrote:Saltwater Park. Good parking, but a bit of a surface swim out to the 3 artificial reefs. It's just north of Redondo. Also has some depth to it in case you need to get under the muck.
Saltwater is great, just a bit of a surface swim

http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=32
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

When you say the Alki sites, did that include the junkyard?
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

No I have not been to the junk yard with her, I will however be to Alki next weekend for a business trip and will dive someplace around Alki again with another member here.

I googled and found Les Davis, south of Redondo but still in the game. I'm thinking it may have some potential as the access sounds quite easy for her with 30lbs of lead and a tank on her back!
The best things in life are not things
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Alki pipeline is pretty easy access, be sure to have a compass to find the outer section. Better at mid-to high tides.

Access to 100ft rock has been closed a decade+ now, so there aren't any shore accessible sites from downtown until you get to Edmonds.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
tykeal
Avid Diver

Post by tykeal »

If Les Davis is within your radius like you seem to indicate then I can say it is an easy dive location and not particularly tide or current sensitive. There's stuff to see but you do need to get out to the old Narrows Bridge pilings that are scattered around the site. The drawback is that with the warm weather it may be a bit difficult to get any sort of decent parking unless you get out there for an early morning splash time.

I did all my OW checkouts there and helped with a few classes since.
StrangeDoc
Avid Diver

Post by StrangeDoc »

Les davis is a nice dive, the bride pilings are not that far or deep out, but you can get depth out there. You will want to watch out for the fishing pier that is right there. Parking can be a bit of a challenge, you will want to try and park as far in the back of the lot as possible as you need to walk down the path a little ways to get to the entry point. Visibility can really be hit and miss there as the river muck can really get going on top of the algae bloom.

Three tree is also a good one.

The i90 bridge is also an interesting spot, not a lot of wildlife per say but some. You can see the old i90 bridge that is sunk right there, there is a guide rope that can take you out there.