Port Townsend or Olympic Peninsula SUNDAY 5/27

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
60south
Pelagic

Port Townsend or Olympic Peninsula SUNDAY 5/27

Post by 60south »

A beautiful day to dive here in PT! But my buddy can't make it.

Are you diving here today? Wanna dive? Happy to go just about anywhere.

... Point Hudson
... Fort Worden
... Point Whitney
etc

glenn
njnigam
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Port Townsend or Olympic Peninsula SUNDAY 5/27

Post by njnigam »

Hey! I'm sorry I didn't see this until now - I'm living over in Hoquiam. I'd be happy to dive tomorrow (Monday, May 28). Let me know if you're interested.

- Nirupam
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

njnigam wrote:Hey! I'm sorry I didn't see this until now - I'm living over in Hoquiam. I'd be happy to dive tomorrow (Monday, May 28). Let me know if you're interested.
Monday is tough. We should plan some dives closer to you, for Ediz Hook or Salt Creek. The weekend of June 16-17 is my next available play time. Maybe we could get a gang of NWDC divers together?

g
njnigam
Frequent Bubbler

Post by njnigam »

Sure! A group would be nice, since I work on call it can be difficult for me to commit until very last minute. I've always wanted to try Sekiu and the Neah Bay area, if you're ever interested.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

njnigam wrote:I've always wanted to try Sekiu and the Neah Bay area, if you're ever interested.
Absolutely! But I don't know anything about them other than Neah Bay is good as a boat dive... if anyone's running out there. Can you do either as shore dives?

g
njnigam
Frequent Bubbler

Post by njnigam »

I've started looking into it - can be a little hard to find info on the internet. I've also heard it's a good boat dive. Don't know anyone who runs boats personally except a friend of a friend - so I might ask my friend about that pretty soon. I know Sekiu Jetty is a great shore dive but you have to go with the right conditions (shallow, some current). It's possible to do the jetty in Neah Bay but I think you need permission from a logging company. There's also a number of shore dives between Sekiu and Neah Bay. But the best diving would be Duncan rock off of Neah Bay which requires a boat and a perfect day.

Like I said, I haven't made it out that far before, but now that I moved to Hoquiam, I think it's time for me to try diving this side of the coast :D Feel free to send me a message whenever you free. It's pretty random when I'm free and when I work....

- Nirupam
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Neah Bay is awesome. Just amazing, but very unforgiving conditions, with surge, fog, open ocean etc. Some of the dives out there (e.g. Duncan) can be downright washing machines on crack.

It is indeed boat diving. There are a few (tricky) shore dives, but they're no where near as good as the boat dives.

Northwest Dive charters (Bill M), and Lu Jaq Quest (hopefully still) run charters there. The area is also travelled by some private boats.

The person with the most Neah Bay dive knowledge that I know about is Keith C. You can see some info his website here: http://emeralddiving.com/local_sites.html.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!