Anyone going diving 7/15?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
MariaT
Avid Diver

Anyone going diving 7/15?

Post by MariaT »

I had to cancel my last weekend plans to dive at T-dock with the shop and did semi-emergency deck stripping chores instead. Of course now I really feel like diving! So, if you are diving on 7/15 within 1-2 hours driving from the Eastside at some site which is not too deep or challenging can I join? Unfortunately, Sunday is the soonest I can go - but pretty much time of that day.

Best,
Maria
Honudavis
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Anyone going diving 7/15?

Post by Honudavis »

I could possibly go. I would like to head to three tree or Saltwater state park.
Enjoy and savior all moments in life, above and below the water :). Kelly Davis Real Estate Broker
MariaT
Avid Diver

Post by MariaT »

Thank you! I would like to try either, with slight preference for the Saltwater State Park because it is an artificial reef structure. The tides on that day are not great, large difference and low tide right in the middle of the day. Is Saltwater doable on a low tide? Or maybe give EUP another try?
Honudavis
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Honudavis »

Ohh, I am not sure if Edmonds vis is the best right now. I did saltwater state park a couple of weeks ago and the vis was great at high tide 30' and about 15ish' at low tide. We absolutely enjoyed saltwater state park!
Enjoy and savior all moments in life, above and below the water :). Kelly Davis Real Estate Broker
MariaT
Avid Diver

Post by MariaT »

Then let's do the Saltwater state park! Sometime before noon?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Check the tides and currents for Salt WAter State Park...
It is current sensitive.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

And that is a big exchange. So the current will be greater between slacks. Slack Current should be around 2:24pm, with a minus tide. NW Shore dives says to use the Narrows for current table. Could be a nice dive, or could be a butt kicker if you time it wrong. Also, with the minus tide, you will have to walk out quite a ways as the water will only be thigh deep for a good distance. It is listed as an advanced dive, so be careful.
MariaT
Avid Diver

Post by MariaT »

Gdog wrote:And that is a big exchange. So the current will be greater between slacks...
...the water will only be thigh deep for a good distance...
Ugh. Your are right, it is -3 ft low according to Narrows chart, imagine that walk in 80F, rocks, gear and drysuit. Sunday timing is all backwards, next high tide is right at the sunset when that park will probably be closing.

@Honudavis: how about Three Tree then? Time is TBD, I have to work now :( And Saltwater when tides are more favorable? Or I can drive down closer to Tacoma too.
Honudavis
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Honudavis »

I did it in similar conditions a couple of weeks ago and was not phased by it at all. I still want to give it a go. I have another diving friend lined up. We meet at 8 am and splash shortly after that so catching the high tide by 9 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MariaT
Avid Diver

Post by MariaT »

Is this the tide chart for Narrows? https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaat ... dailychart I am a morning person and love the idea of getting into the water in the morning, but if this is the chart to check then high tide is at 6:49 am followed by a strong current. 9am seems already late to me, I don't think I am ready yet to join you this time. But thank you for inviting me anyway and hope you will have fun out there!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Yes... Here's current and tides..
Screenshot_20180712-210056.png
Screenshot_20180712-210113.png
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Wow!!! That is a big exchange!!!
Did you dive SW State Park?
What were the conditions?
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
MariaT
Avid Diver

Post by MariaT »

I don't know if they did. I decided to not go (in this thread actually) because my diving skills are no match to these conditions. As I found no other potential buddies I finished stripping the effing deck instead :)
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

A couple buddies and I dove at Saltwater State Park yesterday. Conditions were just fine. We got in the water a little after 9:00 am and had a nice 50 minute dive with no noticeable current at depth. There was a slight surface current flowing to the North as we were swimming out, just enough to need a minor course correction in order to reach the north buoy.
The minus tide had attracted a few beachcombers by the time we got out. The low water level exposed more beach and turned that part into a walk instead of a wade.
I used the Browns Point current marker to predict when slack would be, and found it to be accurate for Saltwater.
MariaT
Avid Diver

Post by MariaT »

Yay for good dive! Thank you a lot for writing here, so much wanted to know how it turned out. I'll surely try to check it out this summer.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Very cool! Salt water can be fairly benign, and yet I've had the current kick my butt at other times. Always safe to watch and respect those currents. Sounds like you had great vis!