Saba Diving?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Saba Diving?

Post by Penopolypants »

Anybody been there and have some tips? Has anybody even heard of it? I'm thinking of heading there in December.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Saba Diving?

Post by Tangfish »

Oooh, always wanted to go. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

An instructor I met while in the Caymans (which I consider to be the best place in the Caribbean) said that Saba was his favorite, and he had been spending a year each guiding and teaching on different islands throughout the Caribbean for quite a few years at that point.

What’s your plan, have you got it in the works yet? I think you have to take a puddle hopper from the nearby island that’s more populated. It’s also a very steep island from what I remember reading.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm glad to hear it's a favorite of a local expert! It looks to be a very charming island surrounded a marine reserve or protected waters, and not overly crowded.

We're still very much in the planning stages, looking to go in December while I'm on break in between quarters (and ready for some warmth and sun!). You typically fly to St. Maarten and then hop a plane or ferry over to Saba. It is indeed very steep, which means no shore diving - it's all boat, and the accommodations we're considering have package deals for diving.

I had never even heard of it until my sister brought it up, and now I'm excited to go and check it out!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It’s supposed to be great diving!

Let me know what you find out in researching it, I may follow in your footsteps (or turn up as the third wheel).

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

My former sis in law lived on Saba for a couple years, and dove there with her kids. Pinnacle diving....it sounded great. Other than that airport runway. Ive wanted to go for a long time. Was just trying to talk Mrs Gdog into going.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

A NWDC road trip? Woohoo!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

It looks so nice! I want to go with you guys! :-)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: