Cancun, experiences?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Chris
Avid Diver

Cancun, experiences?

Post by Chris »

Hey Everyone,

Just curious of who here has been diving in Cancun and if anyone has had a good experience with any particular dive operator there. I am planning on going around beginng of February next year. Let me know, thanks!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Re: Cancun, experiences?

Post by lamont »

Chris wrote:Hey Everyone,

Just curious of who here has been diving in Cancun and if anyone has had a good experience with any particular dive operator there. I am planning on going around beginng of February next year. Let me know, thanks!
drive a little south of there and go to akumal, good reef diving, away from cancun and there's the cavern diving in the cenotes...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You're so close to some amazing diving, I'd hoof it out to Cozumel or as lamont said, head South and do some cenote diving. That way, you'll also miss some of the annoying Senor Frogs action.

Some info I wrote about the diving in that area:
http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2005/12/ ... el-cenotes
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Calvin wrote:You're so close to some amazing diving, I'd hoof it out to Cozumel or as lamont said, head South and do some cenote diving. That way, you'll also miss some of the annoying Senor Frogs action.

Some info I wrote about the diving in that area:
http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2005/12/ ... el-cenotes
Oh cool. I'm going to look into it. The main part for me is some good diving but also some good, well deserved R&R.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Playa Del Carmen is definitely a better town for R&R.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

R&R.. Calvin is that translated 'tequila induced coma'? because that's what I am looking for.. After diving of course..

Me, Black Toe, NeoErik, Six Gill, and our SO's plus a few more are making the trip in November.. I'll bring my camera too.. Hoping for some good shots for next years warm water category in the photo contest..
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I only have a few memories from my trips to Cancun (which were pre-diving days)... the few memories I have are hazy, and I can't remember the rest... the pictures are great though.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Sounder wrote:
I only have a few memories from my trips to Cancun (which were pre-diving days)... the few memories I have are hazy, and I can't remember the rest... the pictures are great though.
Sounds like you had the exact kind of Cancun "R&R" experiance I am looking for after the diving of course.. mmmm tequila....
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

GillyWeed wrote:Sounder wrote:
Sounds like you had the exact kind of Cancun "R&R" experiance I am looking for after the diving of course.. mmmm tequila....
Tequila makes people do strange things like lose their clothes. Be careful! No naked diving
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Chris wrote: Be careful! No naked diving
What's wrong with that? Have you seen my thread in "general discussions" on naked diving? :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Chris wrote:
Tequila makes people do strange things like lose their clothes. Be careful! No naked diving
hmmm. Maybe we should get Seth T. some tequila.. Oh wait that's another tread..

I'll be ok.. TRUST me it takes a LOT of tequila for that to happen.. What I really need to make sure and do is NOT let my friends video tape me...
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Hey Chris,

I went to Playa Del Carmen just south of Cancun last December and dove with Akumal Dive Shop. They were great. Moises was my guide out on the reef, he was an excellent guide. I dove with Alessandra on my Cenote dives, very professional. I would highly reccomend this shop. Picked me up and dropped me off at my resort at no charge and provided a locker for gear storage for a few days while I was there. Any questions just pm me.

Mathue