NWDC winter HC trip.

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

NWDC winter HC trip.

Post by DiverDown »

Just wanted to throw this out there. Is there any interest for our semi annual trip? And if so who would like to coordinate it.

Check out some photos of past trips.
Who run barter town?
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I would like to have a nother trip soon but As I put the last 3 together and realy do not have the time right now to do a nother one I was kind of holding off to see if any one else wanted to step up and put one together

If you havent been to one yet We always have a grate time good food good diving and even better friends what more could you ask for

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Where are we looking at? Are they close or are we talking flights and such?
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

BUZO71 wrote:Where are we looking at? Are they close or are we talking flights and such?
Hood Canal is in Washington. I dont think you'd have to fly from Salem. I have not been to a Club dive but it's the trip reports from the Club dives that really make me want to go and dive the "Canal".
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I'd definately be interested! When were you thinking?
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I would assume sometime in Dec Jan. Sparky used to set them up, but like he said he is to busy. I know some folks here dive there regularly. And know some of the dive operators there well.

Any volenteers??
Who run barter town?
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Ohhh so HC is Hood Canal.... ok, got it...
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

BUZO71 wrote:Ohhh so HC is Hood Canal.... ok, got it...
I missed that too. #-o
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

January sometime, after the holiday madness?
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Sweet. I'd really like to go...if we wait until after holiday madness, I'd like to request after Jan. 7th as I'll be diving Florida looking for a tiny frogfish..most likely unsuccessfully :P
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

Hey jason, rather than sched. a weekend camp thing. Why dont we just book a boat for the day.. that would be cool..
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The weekend camping thing is a lot of fun. Even if you can't camp, coming out for the day is fun and the big dinner is always a good time... usually followed by a late-night dive or two!! I think I packed 7 dives into one day on the last trip... it was a long day, but a good one. 11 dives for the weekend. Mmmm... nitrox! \:D/

Whenever would be fun for me and I like Calvin's idea of doing it in January - with the holidays being crazy for everyone, I think it'd be much easier.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

[quote="Sounder"]The weekend camping thing is a lot of fun. Even if you can't camp, coming out for the day is fun and the big dinner is always a good time... usually followed by a late-night dive or two!! I think I packed 7 dives into one day on the last trip... it was a long day, but a good one. 11 dives for the weekend. Mmmm... nitrox! \:D/ quote]
I am soooooo in
Fortes fortuna iuvat
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I hear you guys

I am so there I have told the wife and boss both I was takeing vaction time for this so all I need to know is where and when
I would love to put it togthwer againe but I just dont have the time

between work and some of the stuff I got going its just not going to happen this time

but I am so there as ong as we dont do the 3rd weekend of the month I have dive team trainning that weekend
every month

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I'd be interested too, kind of depends on finances at holiday time though.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

TCWestby wrote:I'd be interested too, kind of depends on finances at holiday time though.
Oh come on Todd, where are your priorities?! :rr:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I know, I'm lame, Where are py priorities????
Looking for dive buddies

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

TCWestby wrote:I know, I'm lame, Where are py priorities????
Oh, probably your wife and kids! :smt024 :salute:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Ho yeh, those.

Speaking of the wife, after last night coming back freezing she has banned me from diving till the dry suit gets back. Can't blame her though, can't dive if I'm sick.
Looking for dive buddies

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

January seems like a great time... SB good viz at the Hood as well!

Bassman and I are hoping to head up to Sitka and dive with Diver Dave in January... a couple of other folks mentioned other dates... which will increase when you start trying to figure out a time. At some point you just pick a weekend and go for it, with maybe some adjustment if a huge portion of folks can't come.

But we are back at the original question, is anyone able to take the point on this? Alas, I am not right now.

Perhaps Sparky, Doug, Calvin? could post just what is involved in coordinating a NWDiveClub weekend?? Most of us are reluctant to commit if we don't know what is involved. I don't think it's rocket science, but most people don't like the unknown! We certainly don't want anyone "stuck" financially or otherwise, even if it's holding the ball for a large batch of Chili! Clear communication and expectations are really important, especially as we desire to continue to keep our little disorganized group "no dues, no politics, & no bs"!

Thoughts?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I can't do it either... if I can't dive regularly, I certainly can't plan a dive weekend.

Basically you need to plan:

1. Which weekend.
2. Where (may I suggest somewhere OTHER than Mike's LAME Beach "Resort?").
3. Who's bringing what for Saturday night's dinner.
4. Any diving arrangements - like asking if there are other groups using Sund etc.
5. Any other details on the weekend that people come up with.
6. Let the dive shop know there will be a group coming in regularly for fills that weekend.

If I can, I'll probably come out for just the day on Saturday and try to squeeze in 6 dives before heading home again (arriving early, leaving after the post-dinner night dive). I highly doubt Erica and I will be staying the night this time with school stuff to do.

There was talk about the "Yellow Cabin" last time as an option for where to stay. Who knows how many are coming and how many it sleeps (and where else is available too). Things like this are part of the pre-planning discussion.

Should we start suggestions for where people recommend staying?

(This concludes my involvement in planning the trip. Sorry guys, I just can't put any time into it this year) ](*,)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Myself and the Mrs. would probably come out for the day (2 dives for us). Can't stay overnight easy with the dogs and all. Anyone else scootering?

Its been a long time since I've been to Hood Canal.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Myself and the Mrs. would probably come out for the day (2 dives for us). Can't stay overnight easy with the dogs and all. Anyone else scootering?

Its been a long time since I've been to Hood Canal.
If we could snag an extra, I'd love to... scooter fund is slowly growing, slowly.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's always used, that's what I did.
Used Gavin ~$2200
Used Mako <$1000
Someday I'll get the Mako motor rewound to get Gavin/SS-like speeds out of it. They are a bit slow.

The rocky reef off Triton Cove State Park would be a fun scooter dive. Ditto for the Hood Canal bridge and/or "The Sisters" (couple of rocks just to the south). Triton Cove would be an anytime dive, the Bridge/Sisters is pretty current dependent.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

If I'm back in the water, I'll come out for the day. A couple scooter dives would be fun . . .