Best time to go to Kona?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Best time to go to Kona?

Post by BUZO71 »

Does anyone have experience in traveling to Hawaii?I wanna take the family this next year :supz: and was wondering about the best, er, cheapest time to go :book:
Fortes fortuna iuvat
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I went to Maui last December and it was great. The holidays are most likely a little more expensive. However, if you plan it right (january to march I believe) you might catch some humpback whales. We actually saw some in the distance (from a boat not while diving...I wish). The waves are bigger in the winter, but affect mostly the north shores. The diving on the south side of the island was still great, fun I should say. I think either the big island or Oahu have night manta ray dives, which I have heard are great. From Maui, Molokini crater was awesome, back wall was one of the coolest dives I have done, and non divers can snorkel on the inside. Also, Lanai cathedrals were great. I know a bunch of shore dives if you plan on Maui. Good luck, and I am sure any of the islands have some fun diving.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I went to Kona in May a few years back. Dove with Kona Coast Divers. It was cheap for me. Cashed in some air miles, got a condo on the internet, whole trip with rental car about 8 1/5 SU's.
Last edited by Aquanautchuck on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

So, um, I'm rather embarrassed to ask...um...what's a scuba unit equivalent too? #-o :crybaby:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Seth T. wrote:So, um, I'm rather embarrassed to ask...um...what's a scuba unit equivalent too? #-o :crybaby:
My understanding is that 1 scuba unit = 100 dollars. So 8 1/5 would be $820 (provided my fractions are correct.) I think it's a tool to ease the shock of gear costs to your domestic partner (or whatever is legally available to you in your location.) \:D/ Actually, 20 scuba units is easier to rationalize out of your savings than $2000, so maybe it works on the diver, too. #-o
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Seth T. wrote:So, um, I'm rather embarrassed to ask...um...what's a scuba unit equivalent too? #-o :crybaby:
100 bucks
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Thanks boys. That wasn't too painful. :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hey Tom - I think we're going to need to create other currency measures related to the scuba unit... in the next year or so I've got a couple rather large purchases that the use of scuba units won't soften.

Thinking:
One PentaSU = 1SU's
One SeptaSU = 7 SU's
One DecaSU = 10 SU's
One DodecaSU = 12 SU's
One X-SU = roughly 4 SU's (or market price for a new scooter) \:D/
One Meg-SU = roughly 8-10 SU's (or market price for a new Meg + training) \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Doug, Doug, Doug. It's Friday and you expect us to figure advanced math? ](*,) ](*,) SU's are perfection and easy. Just cringe a little when you enter it in the check book.
Charles
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Aquanautchuck wrote: SU's are perfection and easy. Just cringe a little when you enter it in the check book.
Yep, unfortunately the bank doesn't convert to SUs. #-o
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Hawaii, Kona

Post by Scuba Scott »

October is my prefered time to go. Slow season, cool temps, easy beach parking, charter boats are half full.

I was there last week. 82 - 85 deg days. Sunny with some clouds. Cool trade winds to keep the humidity and temp down.

Here is a link to my pictures from last year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ScubaDiverS ... waii200602