Hey Where are the Dive reports for this weekend?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Hey Where are the Dive reports for this weekend?

Post by sparky »

Ok Gang I am starting to fel the need to get wet againe but I am unabule to this weekend so

Where the HECK is the dive reports for this weekend ?
If I can dive I should atleast be abule to read about your diving so lets hear them spare no detaile where did you dive what did you see and who was there

and of corse how was the Fish and Chips?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I haven't gotten into the water yet Sparky, but I agree that we're often too busy planning the next dive to stop and leave a review of the last one, such are the lives of the addicts. :smt024
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I'll send you a review Sparky. A few of us are meeting up at Cove 3 today. Here's a prelude.

The weather was about 75 degrees and sunny .... \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Seargent Pepper wrote:I'll send you a review Sparky. A few of us are meeting up at Cove 3 today. Here's a prelude.

The weather was about 75 degrees and sunny .... \:D/
OH MAN ! where is the love your suposed to tell me its so nasty there that it would not have been worth my drive up form oregon

See you at the BBQ BRO
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey Sparky! Looking forward to seeing you and the missus at Hood Canal.

Get your Oregonian behind back into the water!! What's the matter with you?!?! :axe:

I drove out to Port Townsend Saturday to meet a friend I had yet to dive with. We dove up from the ferry dock a bit behind the Swain's there. Viz was 3 ft, I have eel grass and brown goop in my mustache, the current was runnin', but it's all good!

As long as no one get's hurt there is no such things as a bad dive! :supz:

Hope you can splash soon... Tom Nic
JDR
Avid Diver

Post by JDR »

Edmonds Underwater Park
I did the usual Saturday morning work dive with Bruce this morning. He and I went out and moved three footers out at the Enhancement - dug them out of the much and put them on other features so they are now usable ling cod habitat. Dave Rockwell joined us to move concrete blocks topside. Those are for tomorrow!
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER - LET'S GO DIVING!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Sparky,
Well, here is the continuation. We got to Cove 3 about 5:00, and decided to dive the pipeline instead for Calvin's mapping project. We had a long surface swim and decended down to about 40 ft. From there we found the end of the pipeline and mapped a triangular portion. The vis was about 15 ft. Some people in the group saw a small wolf eel, and I saw a heck of a rat fish that everyone else missed I think. The participants were Calvin, Maverick, Cuppie and Erik. The dive was good and long due to the depth, and the dive company was great. We had a great time without you. I look forward to diving with you again soon. :partyman:
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Actually Pepper and sparky it was not a small wolf eel, but just a small unidentified eel, or a snake or fast swimming worm, deffinatly not a wolf eel. wrong environment, and lact of the proper food in the area we dove for it to be a wolf eel. plus it was banded like a coral snake. cool though. it was maybe 9 inches or so long, and about an inch diameter. there you go a follow up on peppers good description of the dive we had a blast on.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Hey Mave and Pepper :

any chance this is the little eel you are talking about?

this is called a " Sadle Back Gunnel I belive that is the right name

but here is my guess at you mistory Eel.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey Mav, You guys need to take Janna's Fish ID Class!!!

Sparky, the pic you posted does not come through for me...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sounds like a gunnel to me! I loved Janna's class!!! I'm an official REEF level 2-fish-identifier-survey-guy!!! Coral snake eh? Growing up in Southern Arizona, I didn't know they lived in 40fsw of salt water!!! (kidding) #-o
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Yeah, me too... and Calvin, and Dave.

I must confess I haven't been doing surveys though.... I need to get back to it! We need to have some Dive Club members progressing up the ladder of Fish ID folks to help out with identifying the rare Puget Sound Coral Snakes!!! :toimonster:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Indeed! They must be covered in level 3!! I must confess, I probably won't be climbing the fish ID ladder, but my fiance is interested in it! Perhaps she can become our resident expert?!

Is this the infamous Puget Sound Coral Snake coming out of the toilet?! :toimonster:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Reminds me of the inscriptions on unknown sea areas of ancient maps: "Past here there be monsters"....

Aaaarrrrr.... (Where's my Pirate emoticon?!?)

And definitely, watch out for that Puget Sound Coral Snake at certain dive site toilets! :toimonster:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

We DEFENITELY need a pirate emoticon! I can't believe we don't have one. Calvin?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Tom Nic wrote:Hey Mav, You guys need to take Janna's Fish ID Class!!!

Sparky, the pic you posted does not come through for me...
Tom I dont know why it wont open for you it shows up on my post when i go back and lookat it

CALVIN :
HELP

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Must be my system... ](*,)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

It ain't your system- all I see is a little red x...
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I just have a question mark.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I can see it, I think you guys are all just whack!! \:D/
Who run barter town?
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

DiverDown wrote:I can see it, I think you guys are all just whack!! \:D/
maybe they are just Narced you know you never can tell with tom

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

OK here ya go.

Post by Diver Doug »

« on: Today at 09:59:21 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8:00 am Sat. morning the local dive club headed for cape lookout. A little rough going down the coast, 15 knots and 5 foot swells. Got to the cape after about 50 minutes. The cape was beautifullllllllll. Not a cloud in the sky, and water like glass. We splashed at about ten for our first dive. About halfway in the water was 37 fsw max. Speargun in hand we searched for fish saw one small ling and not much else. good dive though. vis was about 15 foot and colors were vivid underwater swimming through the bull kelp. The second dive was a little better, I went west a little more. Shot one ling and missed two, along with getting 3 nice rockfish. Then.........the excitment started. well by 2:00pm the winds had picked up to 30 knots and the swells were 6-7 foot. A little two much for our 19 foot open bow( with canvas) boat. It was only a little bumpy until the bow canvas became unsnapped. Time to bail and quick. We headed for calm behind three arch rocks to decide what to do, bail the boat fix canvas, etc. In the process we broke a wire to the aux. battery. What next, no electronics now opps. Well the options were slim. Go out of shelter and weather the yuk, and take a good chance of swamping and swimming 3 miles, or go to Netarts and take the chance of swamping and swimming 100 yards. OK Netarts here we come. Ya know if you set on top of the breakers on the bar and ride its kind of like surfing. No problem, piece of cake, yeh right. Sailed right in. Local mounty met us at the dock to check for bui. yeh drunk. He said nobody goes over that bar. Well after explaining our options, he agreed, what a choice. Thank GOD for dry land.

Doug :wav: :prayer: :prayer:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Now thats a report!! Good thing you made it back ok. :prayer: I had an experiance like that once in my old 16ft boat. Waves crashing over the bow flooding the boat. All I can say about that "humbling"..
Who run barter town?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Hey Sounder, nice quote ... you been talking to JoeRad?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

No, not him - but I'll share with whom sometime in person. I thought it was a mighty fine quote myself. There was a passionate discussion as to what gasses were better to decompress with at what depths, blah blah blah - way over my head. Then I heard him say, when someone mentioned they'd NEVER decompress with air, "I'd suck a fart from a donkey's ass if it got me to the surface." That got my attention and is one of the funniest mental images I've ever had. :vom:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!