Shore dives on the Sunshine Coast?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sea of Green

Shore dives on the Sunshine Coast?

Post by Sea of Green »

None of my resources on hand have any info on shore diving along the Sunshine Coast. I want to get up there during my vacation end of Jan/beginning of Feb, but want to do it on the cheap, i.e. no charters if I can help it. Anybody have any info on shore diving in that area? I'm looking for info such as location and quality, i.e. are they worth the trip up there, or would my money be better spent on a charter or diving locally?
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Shore dives on the Sunshine Coast?

Post by Marc »

Tuwanek point is a great dive..... there is another one called-I believe- Cooper's Green that is also nice.
Sea of Green wrote:None of my resources on hand have any info on shore diving along the Sunshine Coast. I want to get up there during my vacation end of Jan/beginning of Feb, but want to do it on the cheap, i.e. no charters if I can help it. Anybody have any info on shore diving in that area? I'm looking for info such as location and quality, i.e. are they worth the trip up there, or would my money be better spent on a charter or diving locally?
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Never done any of these, but here's a list:

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Canada ... /index.htm
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Never done any of these, but here's a list:

Excellent! Very good resource, thanks! Be nice to have this in print form, I wonder if the canucks have the equivalent of Fischnaller's NWSD?
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Sea of Green wrote:
enchantmentdivi wrote:Never done any of these, but here's a list:

Excellent! Very good resource, thanks! Be nice to have this in print form, I wonder if the canucks have the equivalent of Fischnaller's NWSD?
Yes they do, look up Mary Pratt-Johnson on Amazon and you will find her book.
r2t
Frequent Bubbler

Post by r2t »

Tuwanek and Coopers Green are great dives. I've heard Martin cove and Egmont are good dives as well.
http://www.suncoastdiving.com/ is a dive shop in Sechelt to get air fills.
If your doing any dives on a weekend I would be happy to come over for the day and do a couple dives.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

After spending a bunch of $$ on gas, the ferry, and motel I would spring for some charters. I have done all the shore dives up there and I have to say they are rather uninspiring compared to some of the boat dives.

Tuwanek is the best. A bit of a swim but worth doing.

Cooper's Green and Egmont are definately not worth much. I think Martin's Cove is the site with a long swim + wall way out and to the south. Along the way you can see all the houses' sewage pipes leading to the water :vom: The land is solid rock in that area and there are no septic tanks or city sewer lines.
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

CaptnJack wrote:After spending a bunch of $$ on gas, the ferry, and motel I would spring for some charters.
Some of the reviews of the shore dive sites up there don't sound half bad, but after adding up the costs, I've come to the same conclusion. e.g. Depth Chargers has a charter trip in Feb for about the same amount of $ and dives I had in mind. And their trip includes lodging and meals.

It might be ok if I want to spend a week and combine it with a land tour of that area, but if I just want to dive, (what else is there, really?) the better bang for my dive buck would be a charter.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you continue up the coast Powell River has some nice sites. Well at least they look nice I haven't been that far. But that doubles your ferry costs.
Crystaltear
Avid Diver

Post by Crystaltear »

Tuwanek and Islet at Secret Bay are pretty good sites. Coopers Green, Ole's Cove, Martin Cove are shore dives in the area. If you're traveling further north, Quadra Island is my favorite.

I'm planning to stay over the island for about a week around Christmas (21st - 28th). If you're coming up during that time, I would be able to show you around. However, I'm leaving on the 29th for my vacation to Asia and won't be back until spring. In that case, I hope the information helps.

Guanjin
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Crystaltear wrote:Tuwanek and Islet at Secret Bay are pretty good sites. Coopers Green, Ole's Cove, Martin Cove are shore dives in the area. If you're traveling further north, Quadra Island is my favorite.

I'm planning to stay over the island for about a week around Christmas (21st - 28th). If you're coming up during that time, I would be able to show you around. However, I'm leaving on the 29th for my vacation to Asia and won't be back until spring. In that case, I hope the information helps.

Guanjin
Very nice of you to offer, but my vacation is Jan 23-Feb 9th. I'm opting instead for some local sites that I don't get to often, such as Salt Creek and/or Seiku.
Last edited by Sea of Green on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

CaptnJack wrote:After spending a bunch of $$ on gas, the ferry, and motel I would spring for some charters.
Yep, it gets spendy in a hurry; definately spring for a charter. I dove up there a few weeks ago with Amy (A-2-Z Scuba) and it ROCKED! I can't attest to the shore diving, but the boat diving was outstanding! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.