Oregon Divers Invade Redondo, Club Dive 3/22

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Oregon Divers Invade Redondo, Club Dive 3/22

Post by spatman »

alright, all (6 of) you Oregon-based NWdiveclubbers! now's the time to rally and show these Wershington divers who's really the most hardcore!

let's use this thread to figure out who's coming up from Oregon, who needs a ride, who's willing to drive, where to meet up, and what time you want to leave.

i'll go first;

- i'm willing to drive
- aquachic expressed an interest to ride with me, so my car will be full with the two of us and our gear
- i'm flexible as to where to meet if there's a caravan
- i'd like to leave portland at 6:30am to be at redondo by 9

who's next?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Oregon Divers Invade Redondo, Club Dive 3/22

Post by Sounder »

I'll be rolling over at 6:30am, still asleep... enjoy your drive. :bootyshake: :evil4:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:I'll be rolling over at 6:30am, still asleep... enjoy your drive. :bootyshake: :evil4:
wussy. you're giving washington divers a bad rep.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

We'll see who the wusses are... :laughing3:
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sorry, Spatman, I can't make this one. Is there really only 6 Oregon divers on this board? It seemed like a lot more. Anyway, I'll be in Hawaii next weekend. Yay! Hate to miss another club dive but...
Have fun.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

WylerBear wrote:Sorry, Spatman, I can't make this one. Is there really only 6 Oregon divers on this board? It seemed like a lot more. Anyway, I'll be in Hawaii next weekend. Yay! Hate to miss another club dive but...
Have fun.
wylerbear, if i had a chance to go to hawaii instead of the club dive, i'd be saying "aloha" as well!

there are probably more than six of us, but lately it doesn't really seem like very many OR divers are active on this board...

have a great trip and take lots of pics!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Be careful about listening to and diving with Wylerbear... you'll learn something!! :prayer: OR divers are quite fortunate to have her down there!!

Have fun in the sun Georgia!! \:D/
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Georgia, which Island are you going to be on? I'm headed to Maui for 10 days on March 23.

While possible, a Redondo dive the day before I leave is not practical.

Hey, here's and idea, why don't we organize a dive for Oregon divers in, oh... let's see... Oregon!

-Brandon
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

OreCoastDiver wrote:Hey, here's and idea, why don't we organize a dive for Oregon divers in, oh... let's see... Oregon!

-Brandon
go for it! if i'm free, i'll come along.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Brandon,
I leave Tuesday for the Big Island. Only get to stay until the following Monday but hope to get lots of diving, snorkeling, birdwatching, and hiking in. Also a helicopter tour to see the flowing volcano.

I'd love to do some Oregon diving. In almost 600 dives the only ones I've done in Oregon are 4 at Clear Lake. I keep trying to meet Sparky when I spend a week in Canon Beach in August but it never seems to work out. Would love to dive the jetty in Newport. I'd help organize and promote but don't know the dive sites so would be a novice there.

Have fun on your trip to Maui and let's see what we can do for an Oregon dive when you get back. Let's see how many Washington divers are willing to travel down here to dive with us. Should be fun.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I spent over 4 hours under oregon water today with my new dslr, yeah me. doing clear lake friday night. I love newport south jetty. climb down the jetty pebbles (the size of small cars) hop in to 8-35ft fairly sheltered saltwater. I found 7 different nudibranches on one dive. Newport is about an hour twenty minutes off I5 at corvallis /tangent.

dental cleaning on 7am on the 22nd club day, unavoidable and non-changeable.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

OK, you're right, if I want to do an Oregon dive for the club I should get off my dead butt and do it. If I lived in Portland I'd most likely head north: two hours to Puget Sound with dependable diving vs. two hours to the coast with iffy diving at best. I live in Lincoln City and work in Newport. I work with a good dive buddy and we often do The Fingers for lunch. (OK, it's kind of a long lunch, but we make up for it.) Next to the Oregon Coast Aquarium, where I'm a volunteer diver, the Fingers is one of the most dependable Oregon saltwater dives. Getting in and out is always a problem. I'm afraid I'll fall in one of those huge holes between the VW-sized boulders with all my gear on and break a leg... or worse. Still, like Nice-Diver said, it can be a real good dive.

Right now I've got Maui fever and it's hard to look past that trip. I'm especially excited because my wife will be certified this time and we are planning many many dives together.

After I get back and before the upwellings start and good viz ends I'll get something going.

Brandon
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sounds like a plan. have a great time in the warm waters, and stay in touch when you get back.
SwimmerTodd
Just Settling In

Post by SwimmerTodd »

Why drive all the way from Oregon just to dive Redondo? What's the draw? There are so many other sites that put Redondo to shame and can be done in any tidal exchange. If I was driving all that way, Redondo would be last on my list. Just curious. :hello2:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Last???????????/ You're kidding, right?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

SwimmerTodd wrote:Why drive all the way from Oregon just to dive Redondo? What's the draw? There are so many other sites that put Redondo to shame and can be done in any tidal exchange. If I was driving all that way, Redondo would be last on my list. Just curious. :hello2:
This is a dive where we're pairing experienced divers with less experienced divers in hopes of providing some mentor opportunities and introductions. Redondo was selected as a central site for most of the big buddies who are coming and the majority of folks who are coming from Oregon are newer divers looking for pointers.

With the growing number of Oregon divers here, I hope they'll soon start organizing their own events and perhaps some of us Puget Sound folks (could they all be called, "the Sounders?" #-o ) will come down to join them!

That's the draw for Redondo, this time.
SwimmerTodd
Just Settling In

Post by SwimmerTodd »

Aah... now it makes more sense to me. I didn't have the background - I thought this was just a regular club dive. There are so many sites that I would consider immeasurably better than Redondo, but with new divers, it really is an ideal spot. Thanks!
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

OK. I;m in. I'll be driving from Salem... when, where are we meeting?
Fortes fortuna iuvat
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BUZO71 wrote:OK. I;m in. I'll be driving from Salem... when, where are we meeting?
good question. so far, just three of us have committed to going up from oregon. divernick initially said he was in, but i haven't heard anything...

what's your plan, buz? what time do you want to be at redondo and how many dives are you planning to do?
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

At this point, I'm still planning to show up and do 3 dives. But work may get in the way. We've got a big project that we had to have done sooner than we anticipated. #-o ](*,) I'm willing to drive if someone needs a ride still.
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

WylerBear wrote:Sorry, Spatman, I can't make this one. Is there really only 6 Oregon divers on this board? It seemed like a lot more. Anyway, I'll be in Hawaii next weekend. Yay! Hate to miss another club dive but...
Have fun.

Good times. I was in Oahu last Christmas. My daughter and myself dove with a "Scuba service" that took us for 2 tank boat dives at what I felt was a reasonable cost of $80.00 each. The guy was so nice we booked again for the next day. If your interested drop me a PM and I'll get you a web address and a phone number. My wife said he actually only charged $70.00 each because we had all our own gear. :dontknow:

Anyway have a good trip. Bill
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

divernick wrote:At this point, I'm still planning to show up and do 3 dives. But work may get in the way. We've got a big project that we had to have done sooner than we anticipated. #-o ](*,) I'm willing to drive if someone needs a ride still.
i hope you can make it, buddy!

it looks like the massive invasion of redondo by oregonians is turning into a trickle... maybe we should just plan to meet at redondo, and forego the gathering here in portland? i'll still carpool with aquachic, and maybe buz and nick hook up for a carpool? just a thought. if it doesn't work out, no big deal.
jcander
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jcander »

I'm in along with my girlfriend and possibly another diver. If anyone is interested in an early Saturday AM carpool let me know. My car fits a maximum of two but if the other diver comes along, 4-5 of us can chip in on gas for his F350... If not and someone has room I'll happily chip in on gas.

- Jeff
submarine
Avid Diver

Post by submarine »

It looks like Stacy and I (Matt) are going to join the group. We just returned from Ixtapa Mexico and just can't get enough diving. So, we might as well take the opportunity to meet some folks.
We live in Scappoose area North of Portland. We will travel North on 30 and cross over at Longview. It is a bit over a two hour drive for us so we will be leaving around 6:30am. My wife will have to stop to get her coffee somewhere along the way.
We are driving a white Jeep Wrangler with a black soft top.
I think it would be just as easy for us to meet up there rather than trying to connect in route. So, we will see all you fellow Oregonians at Redondo!

Matt & Stacy
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

submarine wrote:It looks like Stacy and I (Matt) are going to join the group. We just returned from Ixtapa Mexico and just can't get enough diving. So, we might as well take the opportunity to meet some folks.
We live in Scappoose area North of Portland. We will travel North on 30 and cross over at Longview. It is a bit over a two hour drive for us so we will be leaving around 6:30am. My wife will have to stop to get her coffee somewhere along the way.
We are driving a white Jeep Wrangler with a black soft top.
I think it would be just as easy for us to meet up there rather than trying to connect in route. So, we will see all you fellow Oregonians at Redondo!

Matt & Stacy
awesome! i'm looking forward to meeting you two. if you haven't already, be sure to let folks know on the main club dive thread.