Any on ever dive Salt Creek area?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Any on ever dive Salt Creek area?

Post by sparky »

lostinbrownsmead ( Jay ) and my self are going to be
headed twoards the Salt Creek area to make a few dives
This comming Saturday
his idea is to head out Saturday after he gets off work and drive up to the Salt Creek area and maybe even hit CQ and Crescent lake

we don't want to go looking for the Warren car or any thing like that
jut looking to do a fresh water dive and have some fun

We are driving up and staying the weekend in jays RV and heading home after diving Monday
has any one made any of these dives ? what do we look for and where do we want to stay away from

and more importantly where is the good food
any club members live in this area want to come show a couple divers round we would love to have you join us

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
camerone
Submariner

Re: Any on ever dive Salt Creek area?

Post by camerone »

sparky wrote: We are driving up and staying the weekend in jays RV and heading home after diving Monday
has any one made any of these dives ? what do we look for and where do we want to stay away from
Salt Creek County Park is hands down my favorite shore diving in the state. NW Shore Dives has a good description. There are four sets of stairs down to the water from the campground area. One is "Crescent Bay" (far "left" when looking at the water). That's almost always divable, but is the least interesting. It's a sandy bay, 60' dead center - no point heading out there - but if you don't mind shallow, 15-20', the inside of Tongue Point has lots of stuff in the boulders and kelp. When the current is ripping, it's still divable.

The other three stair cases to the beach/water's edge take you to the more interesting sites. Beautiful life, lots of stuff. Watch the current/tides VERY carefully, as it's rough, and swells and stuff tend to pick up in the afternoon, so morning dives are almost always better. You need to time your entries and exits with the waves so you don't get slammed on the rocks, but the life is crazy good out there. I prefer the site #2, just outside of Tongue Point in the park.

WRT Lake Crescent, if you're not going for the car (and it's actually off-limits, mind you), East Beach is close to the park and makes a good rinse dive. Go to the picnic area, then head to the trail to the RIGHT of the swim area. Just past where you enter the trees - like 15' past - look left, and there's a nice shallow place to wade in. Head to 60-80', and go right and there's an old barge from the turn of the centrury down there, as well as some trees and stuff. Not much to see, but the gin clear water is always refreshing, and it beats having to drive home with wet, salty gear that needs a cleaning.
and more importantly where is the good food
That there's not a lot of. Port Angeles has some decent places. I'm actually partial the Olympic Bagel Bakery (good, fresh bagels and sandwiches, with decent espresso), which is on the divided (one-way) section of 101 outside of town. It's a great breakfast/lunch stop, and is in a little strip mall with a "clock tower" right on the corner...I think it's the eastbound strip of 101, IIRC.

There are some other good places out there, not high end, but decent (as in, not cr-Applebee's)...but I really like the bagels :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sparks!!! You mean you're coming up this Saturday and NOT coming to our Club Dive? :axe:

What's up with that? :crybaby:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

camerone:
Thanks for the info i will print your recommendations out and take them with us
maybe we can time the tides and current so we can try the one you talked about with ALl the life and the kelp
I have never done a kelp dive and have wanted to for some time

I have seen the Shore Diving review but wanted to see if any of our members have done this site as well get the info first hand sort of

lots of good information for us to use thanks

Ill be sure to go over it with jay so we can plan our dives to time the tides and current
not to hard for us we like to be in the water at first light any how

Ill be sure to do a dive report when we get back so be looking for it

as to the lake dive we were talking and I thought I have heard there was a cool old barge or some thing along those lines but did not know where thanks again you rock

Sparky
Last edited by sparky on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Tom Nic wrote:Sparks!!! You mean you're coming up this Saturday and NOT coming to our Club Dive? :axe:

Tom :
Are you sitting down?

Jay and I are not leaving Astoria until about 2:00 pm yes yo seen that right 2:00 pm not 2:am
we both have to work on Saturday and wont be off in time to make the club dive
I was planning to make a surprise visit but jay decided he wanted to take the RV out for a long weekend so I got Monday off from work and we are going to go try a few places we have never dove before

but you know i wish I was going to be at the club dive so I Will be there in Spirit at least does that count

sure would be good to see every one again but its just not going to happen this time out
maybe in a couple weeks
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

sparky wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Sparks!!! You mean you're coming up this Saturday and NOT coming to our Club Dive? :axe:

Tom :
Are you sitting down?

Jay and I are not leaving Astoria until about 2:00 pm yes yo seen that right 2:00 pm not 2:am
we both have to work on Saturday and wont be off in time to make the club dive
I was planning to make a surprise visit but jay decided he wanted to take the RV out for a long weekend so I got Monday off from work and we are going to go try a few places we have never dove before

but you know i wish I was going to be at the club dive so I Will be there in Spirit at least does that count

sure would be good to see every one again but its just not going to happen this time out
maybe in a couple weeks
Sparky
Ah, that makes sense... say, where are you guys at Monday? Can you handle a tag along? Post or PM me... and have a great weekend!

-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Post by lostnbrownsmead »

Tom Nic wrote:. say, where are you guys at Monday? Can you handle a tag along? Post or PM me...
Tom if the weather is good we will probably dive Salt creek area on Monday. If you or anybody else wants to join us come on out and enjoy the cold water \:D/
Lost some where called Brownsmead
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

lostnbrownsmead wrote: Tom if the weather is good we will probably dive Salt creek area on Monday. If you or anybody else wants to join us come on out and enjoy the cold water \:D/
DUDE!!! Welcome back! I figured that you were, you know, "lost" somewhere down in a place called Brownsmead!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I have done this exact trip and Salt Creek is among my favorite dives in the area. I prefer to dive it from the Toung Point entrance. I have a write up about it on my site. Check out the links below.

Salt Creek: http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=33
Lake Crescent: http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=49

Lake crescent is fun but make sure to drop some weight (for me it was about 8lbs!) for the fresh water. There isn't a lot of life in the lake but visibility is great and the sheer walls are dynamic. if you are still enough you may have some trout come up tio you. I got a couple pics of them at the links above. Have fun! That was a great trip when i did it last year!
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

sparky wrote:camerone:
Thanks for the info i will print your recommendations out and take them with us
maybe we can time the tides and current so we can try the one you talked about with ALl the life and the kelp
I have never done a kelp dive and have wanted to for some time
You're welcome. I usually hit is late summer, where there's lots more kelp in that area. It may be pretty light this early in the season, but never the less, you should find some good stuff. Just to re-iterate - where ever you are (any of the entries), do pay attention to the currents and tides and time your stuff well. It can get very, very rough out there.

Let us know how it goes!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

not sure how the Cell service is going to be in that area but should any one wish to join s here is my Cell # 503-861-2611
give me a call and Ill get back to you if it goes to voice mail and let you know where we are diving

Tom does this mean we Will be seeing you Monday? that would be so awesome, it has been way to long sense we dove together

and yes we will take all precautions and lots of pictures thanks for the info
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man