Port Hardy/ Browning Pass Hideaway

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Port Hardy/ Browning Pass Hideaway

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:Glad it went well-I must admit one of the serious draws to a RB would be these types of trips, which is why I asked.

Well, that, and the chicks. I mostly did it for the chicks. :supz:

j/k. Open circuit was just fine for all the profiles we did on this trip- the OC divers had no complaints, at any rate.However, had we been doing any tech dives, the CCRs would have been much easier to do, at least in terms of helium- 3 sets of 19s would easilly give you 9 dives at most any depth- fill 'em up with Trimix and 02 for ~30 bucks before you leave, and you're all set for days and days!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nailer99 wrote: Well, that, and the chicks. I mostly did it for the chicks. :supz:

Oh believe me, Jewel noticed! Or was it John she was after? Either way, she was all over you RB guys. :smt064
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nailer99 wrote: j/k. Open circuit was just fine for all the profiles we did on this trip- the OC divers had no complaints, at any rate.However, had we been doing any tech dives, the CCRs would have been much easier to do, at least in terms of helium- 3 sets of 19s would easilly give you 9 dives at most any depth- fill 'em up with Trimix and 02 for ~30 bucks before you leave, and you're all set for days and days!
Really good reasons to get a Meg, I wonder if I'll ever head down that path . . .

But, as for hte chicks, I do fine with the ladies already . . . even being a lowly OC diver (must be the GUE cert cards, chicks dig those too).
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

dsteding wrote: Really good reasons to get a Meg, I wonder if I'll ever head down that path . . .
A Meg? Ahem....I'll have you know that my KISS Classic did just frickin' fine, thank you very much! :bootyshake:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I always wear doubles sounder, its just how I roll. I have many singles and single rigs, i just like the trim of my doubles, and since i have a few sets if differnt sizes i always have the right amount of air ( I know are is not DIR but i am not DIR) for the profile of the dive i am planning, or maybe just wing the dive and take the big set. \:D/

as far as fills, John D. is great. I am going to get a cable soon, i just have been busy at work.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Sounds like everyone had way too much fun \:D/
John, In the picture "Nailer rounding a corner at Browning Wall" are those gorgonians hanging on the wall? Sorry I missed your call today but it probably for the best cuz it would have make me want to go for a splash and my inflator valve is on the mainland getting rebuilt so would have have to try one of the rental wetsuits.
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Scott wrote:John, In the picture "Nailer rounding a corner at Browning Wall" are those gorgonians hanging on the wall?
Hmmmmm.....I don't see any Gorgonians in that photo, but I DO see some soft corals. Everything in that photo was connected to that huge vertical wall. There were some "clumps" of soft corals there the size of VW Beetles. The primary species appeared to be Red Soft Coral, Gersemia rubiformis.

The species we see in YOUR neck of the woods at Nootka Sound are the Pink Gorgonian, Calcigorgia spiculifera, or the Pink Candelabrum Gorgonian, Paragorgia arborea, (about which Andy Lamb cites the "synonomy is uncertain").

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Didn't think they were gorgonians but they looked all pink and fuzzy even if they weren't shaped like one.
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Scott wrote:Didn't think they were gorgonians but they looked all pink and fuzzy even if they weren't shaped like one.
I think that you sent all of your snow down this way! 8 inches in my front yard this morning! It's April 19th, for crying out loud!!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Dive Expo!

- John

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

okay so Ibought a card reader till calvin gets me my cable. wi should have a few pics up tonight.
BJ
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Maverick wrote:okay so Ibought a card reader till calvin gets me my cable. wi should have a few pics up tonight.
BJ
You might like the card reader. Using the cable runs down the camera batteries. At least on my cameras it runs them down pretty quickly. Can't wait to see more pictures from everybody.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Nice report and photos!! Wish I could have gone with ya'll!! :crybaby:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Romer Treece wrote:Nice report and photos!! Wish I could have gone with ya'll!! :crybaby:
I wish you could have gone too. We'd be watching HD video by now instead of waiting for Mav to find a data cable and PEZ to quit fighting with photobucket and his laptop! :evil4:

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

yeah, i live with mav and still haven't seen the pics yet!! we're on a charter today but hopefully by tonite he will have gotten them on the comp!! i'm doing my best!
"I peed my Weezle John!!!"
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

heres cuppie on Browning wall
Attachments
Cuppie brownin wall.JPG
Maverick

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

here's some goose necks feeding,
Attachments
CIMG3267.JPG
Maverick

STAIRS.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

airsix wrote:
Romer Treece wrote:Nice report and photos!! Wish I could have gone with ya'll!! :crybaby:
I wish you could have gone too. We'd be watching HD video by now instead of waiting for Mav to find a data cable and PEZ to quit fighting with photobucket and his laptop! :evil4:

-Ben
Ben, why do I get the feeling you need a diving fix or you're gonna asplode? :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I might need some help with identification on this one. I think it might be the rare BPUWSC :dontknow:
Attachments
Port Hardy Trip 315.JPG
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nakwakto Gooseneck Barnacles
Rawlings splashes on Eagle Rock
Red Trumpet Tube Worm?
Rawlings and Nailer99 on the Rock of Life
China Rockfish at Dillon rock
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

a Diver, Gues WHo?
Attachments
CIMG3046.JPG
CIMG2971.JPG
CIMG2899.JPG
Maverick

STAIRS.
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

CHICKEN!!! Oh how i miss chicken. you know he had a good time after that dive...
Attachments
CIMG3336.JPG
"I peed my Weezle John!!!"
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Kung Pow Chicken!

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Those pictures are awesome....

So what are currents like? Are the dives all drifts? If so, how fast does it get up there?

B
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Currents can be pretty strong, in general. At Nakwakto, they're absolutely freaking insane. But when you go with John deBoek, he knows the currents intimately, and he'll explain what they will do at a particular site exactly, and when they will do it- most of the time, we were barely aware of the current, or it would gently move us across a wall in the direction we wanted to go, anyway.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Not all drift dives Brian. Only two that I remember were really swirling and that was the wreck and Nakwakto. I think John will be going back to the wreck at some point to do a story so I'll not elaborate. Nothing too strenuous but John deBoeck knows the waters well and prepares you for what to expect in his briefings. There was another crew up there doing some Tech stuff with scooters. I'm sure that's fun. Most of what we encountered were less than 2 knots. EXCEPT for Nakwakto. That was tear your mask off swift water. Fortunately the topogrophy allows you to hide in places. We were there at the very threshold of what John will allow anyone to dive. Nakwakto boasts the fastest tidal currents in the world at up to 16+ knots and it's fun as hell! There are stories of 17 foot boats and huge logs getting sucked under and spit out 100 meters downstream.