Port Hardy/ Browning Pass Hideaway

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Port Hardy/ Browning Pass Hideaway

Post by airsix »

Thanks for the wonderful pictures! And thanks for taking the ribbings in stride. =D>

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I've been rewatching the Blue Planet series while I've been dry, and there is a brief segment mentioning Nakwakto Rapids (I think in the Seasonal Seas episode). The top and bottom scenery is familiar, and I was excited to see this again: "I've been there!" I exclaimed to the TV.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Our host on this trip, John deBoeck, will have a booth at the upcoming Dive Expo in Tacoma on May 3rd and 4th. If anyone has found themselves intrigued by our descriptions of the "Hideaway" look him up....I think that he's going to be in booth # 90, if I remember correctly.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
hideawayjohn
Just Settling In

Post by hideawayjohn »

Hi gang! HideAway John here... it would be pretty hard to have as much fun as I & Jewel (our "chef") did with John Rawlings, Nailer99, Maverick, Cuppie and Pez last week... a finer bunch to spend some dive-time with would be hard to find...
We run a small comfy "rustic" resort way out in the middle of nowhere.. actually on the edge of nowhere.
Browning Pass & Queen Charlotte Strait have been my "home-away-from-home" since 1980, when I first took Clavella up there and started "Clavella Adventures Liveaboard Diving" -that "job" kept me busy 'til 2002.

Since 2002, I've built up the HideAway right in the middle of the best dive area I had found in 30 years of diving all over BC -
I've been extraordinarily lucky getting to see so much of BC's coasts... with Clavella we went pretty much everywhere! Exploratory trips, film trips, photo trips, story trips, rec trips, tech trips, party trips ... Over 300 weeks of dive trips in Queen Charlotte Strait, 80 weeks of dive & whalewatch trips out of Telegraph Cove, 90 weeks diving the BC North & Central Coast, 60 weeks diving Kyuquot & Nootka, Clayoquot & Barkley Sounds on the West coast, and 80 weeks diving up in Queen Charlotte Islands & Gwaii Haanas Park... after all that...
Browning Pass & Queen Charlotte Strait is simply the best all-round area!
We will run trips pretty much year-round, with "busy seasons" March to May and July to October.
Trips are all-inclusive, with comfy cottages, great meals, 3 GOOD boat-dives a day, plus kayaks and wilderness all around between dives. We provide tanks, weights and air, and sell nitrox. Whales show up in June thru October, dolphins in August thru spring, sea lions year round and now sea otters!

If you haven't tried Port Hardy yet, it's probably time!
Come on up and have some fun!
"HideAway John" deBoeck
Browning Pass HideAway Dive Resort

Port Hardy, BC, Canada
877 725 2835
http://vancouverislanddive.com
hideaway@vancouverislanddive.com
"The Best Diving in the Known Universe!"
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Welcome John! Looking forward to seeing you again at the Dive Expo in Tacoma next weekend!

-Valerie :supz:
hideawayjohn
Just Settling In

Post by hideawayjohn »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Welcome John! Looking forward to seeing you again at the Dive Expo in Tacoma next weekend!

-Valerie :supz:
Hey Val- I missed you, gal! We had quite a trip!
I'll be at the Tacoma Show, booth 90...
I think I might owe you a hug... or maybe a oatmeal & raisin cookie!
Hope all's well & see you next weekend!
John
"HideAway John" deBoeck
Browning Pass HideAway Dive Resort

Port Hardy, BC, Canada
877 725 2835
http://vancouverislanddive.com
hideaway@vancouverislanddive.com
"The Best Diving in the Known Universe!"
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I will come by to see you too John, on sunday, but maybe i will tag along with JOhn and Josh if i don't go out shrimping with Cuppie.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

OMG!!!!! :smt119
Great report! Great pictures!I've missed some good trips due mostly to not getting the time off and then not having enough scuba units at the specified date. I just didn't understand what I missed, untill now! I will definatly try to get down to the Expo and visit booth #90 and meet John. If I don't get there, I will get info from Tom-Nic and we will plan from there. This dive has been added to the "Bucket List"

Bucket List for 2008{short version}
1.Nitrox Cert
2.Wreck Cert
3.Bonaire
4.Port Hardy/Browning Pass

:supz: :supz:
Keith :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey Mav!
I didn't recognize you without the bright orange dry suit! How do you like your new drysuit?
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

hey bassman. you should move the port hardy trip to number three. bonaire has nothing on the hideway!!
"I peed my Weezle John!!!"
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

BASSMAN wrote:OMG!!!!! :smt119
Great report! Great pictures!I've missed some good trips due mostly to not getting the time off and then not having enough scuba units at the specified date. I just didn't understand what I missed, untill now! I will definatly try to get down to the Expo and visit booth #90 and meet John. If I don't get there, I will get info from Tom-Nic and we will plan from there. This dive has been added to the "Bucket List"

Bucket List for 2008{short version}
1.Nitrox Cert
2.Wreck Cert
3.Bonaire
4.Port Hardy/Browning Pass

:supz: :supz:
Keith :smt035

Keith I forgive you, everyone makes mistakes. but here is how your list should go.
1. Nitrox (so you can dive lots in port hardy)
2. port hardy hideaway
3. port hardy trip two (you can't see all in one trip)
4. wreck cert
5. boinare (if you feel like it after PH)
now that i have you starightend out :naka: here's to answer your question
I love my new suit it is so warm and comfortable and affordable i like it alot. but hate its not orange. i will get and orange one again one day, but now its black and warm for tech diving. see you one day for a dive?
BJ
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Don't let 'em push you around Keith! :smt065

Bonaire is awesome! Something about 80 degree water to go with your 100' viz! \:D/

Hey, I know, we'll just have to do both!! :supz:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I think pez meant to post this Picture
Attachments
PortHardyTrip235-1a.jpg
Maverick

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

not this one ](*,)
Maverick

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I meant not this one ](*,) ](*,)
Attachments
PortHardyTrip235-1.jpg
Maverick

STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic wrote:Don't let 'em push you around Keith! :smt065

Bonaire is awesome! Something about 80 degree water to go with your 100' viz! \:D/

Hey, I know, we'll just have to do both!! :supz:
:dontknow: ...

Bonaire :boxing: Port Hardy Hideaway :smt027... :smt032 "MUST DIVE BOTH!!!"
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

But Keith, if you dive port hardy first then when you guys go to Bonaire you will feel like you just wasted money and should have just spent more time in port hardy. so that being said, you should just scratch bonaire!! \:D/
"I peed my Weezle John!!!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Cuppie wrote:But Keith, if you dive port hardy first then when you guys go to Bonaire you will feel like you just wasted money and should have just spent more time in port hardy. so that being said, you should just scratch bonaire!! \:D/
Wow! Port Hardy Hidaway must have been, "That good!" This is the most comments I've seen from Cuppie in a long time!
:supz: :smt038
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Dah!! that's what we've been trying to tell you dude. :bootyshake: you missed out dude ](*,) BJ :smt035
Maverick

STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Maverick wrote:Dah!! that's what we've been trying to tell you dude. :bootyshake: you missed out dude ](*,) BJ :smt035
Okay, I'm convinced!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Cuppie wrote:But Keith, if you dive port hardy first then when you guys go to Bonaire you will feel like you just wasted money and should have just spent more time in port hardy. so that being said, you should just scratch bonaire!! \:D/
Don't give in to the dark side Keith! :rr: You're letting them push you around! :smt065

I have the perfect solution! We'll do Bonaire FIRST so you won't be disappointed, THEN do Port Hardy! \:D/

(Besides, Pt. Hardy DOES NOT have wild donkeys and flamingos! :smt051 You can see eagles and bears anytime, but how often do you get a wild ass in your car?!? --oh wait, :violent1: scratch that question...)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:
Don't give in to the dark side Keith! :rr: You're letting them push you around! :smt065

I have the perfect solution! We'll do Bonaire FIRST so you won't be disappointed, THEN do Port Hardy! \:D/

(Besides, Pt. Hardy DOES NOT have wild donkeys and flamingos! :smt051 You can see eagles and bears anytime, but how often do you get a wild ass in your car?!? --oh wait, :violent1: scratch that question...)
"A wild ass?!" We had THREE wild asses in our truck!! :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:

I've still yet to put that video on YouTube... will do it very soon. I haven't laughed that hard in a VERY long time!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tom Nic wrote:but how often do you get a wild ass in your car?!? --oh wait, :violent1: scratch that question...)

Head.......spinning.........dizzy..........so.........many.........highly........inappropriate....................replies.......

#$%^ [overload] critical error [/overload]

fatal error

-+}/+~%%%%%%%%%\/?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nailer99 wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:but how often do you get a wild ass in your car?!? --oh wait, :violent1: scratch that question...)

Head.......spinning.........dizzy..........so.........many.........highly........inappropriate....................replies.......

#$%^ [overload] critical error [/overload]

fatal error

-+}/+~%%%%%%%%%\/?
Nailer is reduced to the "Blue Screen of Death." His head exploded; he is no more. We mourn his loss. :crybaby:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I get his meg
Maverick

STAIRS.