Eureka!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Eureka!

Post by dwashbur »

California, that is. We may soon have an opportunity to do our next travel assignment there. From what I can gather, there are some nice dive sites within reach of the town, including at least one right in town. Has anybody been there, and if so, what can you tell me about the place?

thanks!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Eureka!

Post by Sounder »

Never been there, but I love the name!! a-HA!! Eureka!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Yep. The subject line was a pun ](*,) It's my favorite kind of joke, and the more "groaner" it is, the better.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Hey, I was just there last week. Nice place. I'm not sure there is too much diving though.... not a dive shop in town... the Closest is Arcata.... There is some abelone hunting as well as spearfishing but I understand the vis is terrible. If you find otherwise, let me know... I would love to go diving there....
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

My old "Diver's Almanac" show's only diving at "Samoa N Spit" its a artifical reef in the bay. North of town there is Trinidad head.
Charles
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

dwashbur wrote:California, that is. We may soon have an opportunity to do our next travel assignment there. From what I can gather, there are some nice dive sites within reach of the town, including at least one right in town. Has anybody been there, and if so, what can you tell me about the place?

thanks!

Off Eureka... the water is murky. Water in that part of the state seems to clear up a little between July and September.
There is some better shore diving in the Crescent City Ca. or Brookings Oregon coastline. There is a dive shop in Arcata and Crescent City.... "Pacific Quest", talk to Juan the owner of the shops. If you have access to a boat there are some offshore reefs out there.

You may want to head south and hit Fort Bragg and try some abalone diving. The water is much clearer by Fort Bragg and there is a dive shop in town.

Good luck,

g
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."