Edmonds UWP at high tide Saturday?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
webbah
Getting To Know Folks

Edmonds UWP at high tide Saturday?

Post by webbah »

Hi everyone - my wife and niece are going to dive Edmonds UWP on Saturday and I see that high tide is at 8:01. My niece is driving down from Belllingham and isn't sure she can make it that early. My question to you is - how are the currents at Edmonds if we were to dive later in the morning. How about the viz there during tidal changes? Any opinions welcome! I suppose we could dive at low tide in the afternoon but unsure about the viz issues then? Can you tell I'm fairly new?!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds UWP at high tide Saturday?

Post by Sounder »

webbah wrote:Hi everyone - my wife and niece are going to dive Edmonds UWP on Saturday and I see that high tide is at 8:01. My niece is driving down from Belllingham and isn't sure she can make it that early. My question to you is - how are the currents at Edmonds if we were to dive later in the morning. How about the viz there during tidal changes? Any opinions welcome! I suppose we could dive at low tide in the afternoon but unsure about the viz issues then? Can you tell I'm fairly new?!
Hey, you may be new, but you're asking the right questions in the right place!! I'm not the best person to talk about EUP stuff but there are many here who can (and will). Also, on Saturday there is usually a group of people making improvements so they'll be another resource for you - look for Bruce in the red truck.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

What you're going to be comfortable with is subjective, but I wouldn't want to be getting in the water at Edmonds much later than about 9 AM on Saturday ... and even that's pushing it. Ideally, I'd dive it earlier and plan my dive around the slack. You've got a pretty big ebb going on and that's not only going to kick up some current, but mess up the vis as the morning progresses.

Just my 2 psi ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

webbah
My buddy and I are planning to do Edmonds UWP ...rather BHUT (Bruce Higgins Underwater Trails...the man previously mentioned who has put lots of effort into park maintenance over the years), on Saturday as well.
I agree with Bob that the big ebb might be uncomfortable and not ideal for diving late morning/early afternoon.
I am no diving guru, but if you'd like, I am sure my buddy won't mind if we plan one of our dives with you if you haven't been in the park much.
I'll at least be around to share what I know about the park (little compared to some around here).

Jacob
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

I'd like to dive BHUT on Saturday, but I'm interested in the afternoon slack, which should be around 5:19pm. Unfortunately, timing it for a 2 tank dive means splashing right around a -0.1 low tide.

If anybody's interested in buddying up for these dives, feel free to contact me!

-Ed in Mill Creek
425-239-4414
ed@mcnichol.com
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I am game for the dive at Low tide saturday... Edmonds can sometimes have current and sometimes No current... I have done the park many times and its Hit and Miss. Jeff and I are doing the edmonds Oildock saturday Morn on DVP, and Then I could do a 2nd dive later on Low tide.. Let me know..?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
webbah
Getting To Know Folks

Post by webbah »

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Might we be better off at another site if we were forced to dive mid-morning?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

webbah wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies!

There are lots of places to dive that aren't bothered by currents - changing your site might be something to consider.

-Doug
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

H20doctor wrote:I am game for the dive at Low tide saturday... Edmonds can sometimes have current and sometimes No current... I have done the park many times and its Hit and Miss. Jeff and I are doing the edmonds Oildock saturday Morn on DVP, and Then I could do a 2nd dive later on Low tide.. Let me know..?
At Low tide? :smt119

I gues that would be like a "Walk in the Park" :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
webbah
Getting To Know Folks

Post by webbah »

Sounder wrote:

There are lots of places to dive that aren't bothered by currents - changing your site might be something to consider.

-Doug
Any suggestions? Or should we just stick with Edmonds UWP? We'll probably be in the water for dive 1 by 7:30 or so and dive 2 by 9:00. If all goes well with getting everyone in car early enough!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

webbah wrote:
Sounder wrote:

-Doug
Any suggestions? Or should we just stick with Edmonds UWP? We'll probably be in the water for dive 1 by 7:30 or so and dive 2 by 9:00. If all goes well with getting everyone in car early enough!
Well, never aim for a time and plan to actually hit it - in my experience, that is VERY rare. Someone (often it's me) is always running late or slow... or both.

Good non-current intensive places are Cove 2 in West Seattle, 3 Tree North in Burien (although this can get some current on a large exchange like tomorrow), Redondo in Federal Way, and some sites even further south. In the north end, you might check out Mukilteo but there are MUCH better people to get information on the Muk from (I've only been there a handful of times where some of the folks here dive it weekly).

If you're getting in the water at 7:30am, thinking you'll be in the water for dive #2 by 9am might be a bit ambitious depending on how long your dives are and how long your surface intervals are. Just something to think about.

What are your time constraints tomorrow? Is there any reason you couldn't do dive #2 later in the day?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

As far as Mukilteo goes, I'm assuming you'd dive the t-dock. Lately it's been brought to my attention that my tolerance for current is much higher than the average diver, but if I was lookign to div ethe t-dock satruday morning I'd shoot for being out of the water by 9:30 or so, probably wouldn't get back in until 3:00 or so. The currents can be a little wierd. It's not like you'll be swept out to see or anything, but it can take the fun out of the dive.

Good luck.

Jake
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

My buddy and I are still planning to do Edmonds BHUT (UWP) Saturday morning, as we haven't been there for a little while. Hoping to arrive around 7am, hit the water at 7:30 for 50 or 60 minutes (need real undergarments to last longer...hehe...weezle soon). And then swap tanks out for a second dive around 8:45 or 9.

webbah, I'll let you know if anything changes, but we'll be there.
And I'd recommend Edmonds over Muk T-dock, especially if you don't dive a lot. There is just a ton of stuff to see at Edmonds, boats, structures, not to mention the monster ling cod and cabezon. Don't get me wrong, I have dove Muk a decent amount and like the spot, but you can't go wrong with a dive in the park every month or two.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

BASSMAN wrote:
H20doctor wrote:I am game for the dive at Low tide saturday... Edmonds can sometimes have current and sometimes No current... I have done the park many times and its Hit and Miss. Jeff and I are doing the edmonds Oildock saturday Morn on DVP, and Then I could do a 2nd dive later on Low tide.. Let me know..?
At Low tide? :smt119

I gues that would be like a "Walk in the Park" :smt064

Low tide at edmonds is fun...!!! You walk half way out.. Ha Ha
webbah
Getting To Know Folks

Post by webbah »

mancub wrote:My buddy and I are still planning to do Edmonds BHUT (UWP) Saturday morning, as we haven't been there for a little while. Hoping to arrive around 7am, hit the water at 7:30 for 50 or 60 minutes (need real undergarments to last longer...hehe...weezle soon). And then swap tanks out for a second dive around 8:45 or 9.

webbah, I'll let you know if anything changes, but we'll be there.
And I'd recommend Edmonds over Muk T-dock, especially if you don't dive a lot. There is just a ton of stuff to see at Edmonds, boats, structures, not to mention the monster ling cod and cabezon. Don't get me wrong, I have dove Muk a decent amount and like the spot, but you can't go wrong with a dive in the park every month or two.
Thanks! I'll definitely look for you guys - looks we'll "hopefully" be on about the same schedule.
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

Hi -

I need a buddy for Saturday morning dives. BHUT or Muktileo work for me, or Cove 2...

Slack is at 0656 with a tide of +8.1. Next max ebb is at 1237 with a current of .48kts predicted.

I'm only OW, so we're limited to 60fsw, but I could really use the dives!

425-239-4414
ed@mcnichol.com
-Ed in Mill Creek
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

BHUT...? What is that... I am diving Edmonds underwater at Low tide saturday Your more than welcome to come and get wet with us..
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

Sorry, BHUT is "Bruce Higgins Underwater Trail". I try to call it that now instead of EUWP.

I'd love to dive with you guys on Saturday. What time are you meeting up?

I come up with slack at 1719 on a +1.2 tide. Low tide is at 1433, so it should be an interesting time to dive!

-Ed
-Ed in Mill Creek
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

Hi all -

I'll be at EUWP/BHUT at 7 looking for a buddy for a couple of dives. I'll be in a silver Honda Odyssey van with a yellow ducky on the dash. I can be reached at 425-239-4414...

I'm also interested in diving tomorrow late afternoon...
-Ed in Mill Creek
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Jeff and I are diving the Triump at low tide at 3 pm..... I am driving a Green Dodge grand caravan..