Going to Oregon!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Going to Oregon!

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I am going down to Oregon for memorial day weekend to visit some family. I was wondering if there are any good dives near the Beaverton/Hillsborro area (fresh or salt). I’ll drive an hour or so, but if there is nothing close I wont worry about it. Anyone up for showing me a cool spot?

Any help is appreciated.

Sheahan
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Going to Oregon!

Post by spatman »

hey, i live down here, and i'd like to know if there's a good dive with an hour, too!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

spatman wrote:hey, i live down here, and i'd like to know if there's a good dive with an hour, too!
So how far away is the nearest dive location?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
spatman wrote:hey, i live down here, and i'd like to know if there's a good dive with an hour, too!
So how far away is the nearest dive location?
the closest ones i know of are a couple of hours away. but i'm not the most knowledgeable about oregon dive sites. if they don't respond to this thread, try contacting nice-diver or narcosis junky. they would probably have a better sense...
submarine
Avid Diver

Post by submarine »

I would suggest one of the high lakes (Clear or Timothy) but, this year they are still snowed in. Normally by this time you can get to them. So, the only suggestion I have is Tillamook jetty. It is an hour and a half or so from Hillsboro area.
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

submarine wrote:I would suggest one of the high lakes (Clear or Timothy) but, this year they are still snowed in. Normally by this time you can get to them. So, the only suggestion I have is Tillamook jetty. It is an hour and a half or so from Hillsboro area.

Is there a site review or pictures of the tillamook jetty? That doesn't sound to bad.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

IM sparky, he lives north coast and knows the area
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
submarine
Avid Diver

Post by submarine »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
submarine wrote:I would suggest one of the high lakes (Clear or Timothy) but, this year they are still snowed in. Normally by this time you can get to them. So, the only suggestion I have is Tillamook jetty. It is an hour and a half or so from Hillsboro area.

Is there a site review or pictures of the tillamook jetty? That doesn't sound to bad.
Here is a bit of info... http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_We ... /index.htm
It is the Barview Park site that is listed. Make sure to check the tides for that area. You do have to consider current on the jetty dive.
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

Barview jetty is a fun fast drift dive max depth 60ft high tide. Drive through park to beach watch tower park buy big log .
1 hour B 4 hightide drift about 1/2 mile in .The big rocks make it a bit cumbersome to walk down .you will need 2 vehicles or a bicycle to leave at the big log its a long walk!
Depending on the tide you could dive any time before high tide. the water moves pretty fast some times
lots of fish lingcod- greenling -seabass. the x it is just b 4 the little concreate building its the 2nd low spot on jetty!

if you have questions give me a jingle
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Hey guys sorry i missed this post

I have been so busy last couple months I have not been able to give diving a thought

what with al the OT at work and the new girlfriend is takeing up a lot of my free time

maybe i can hook up soon for some diving

I am missing the diving big time

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Hey Sparky.

I'll go diving on the coast with you either next weekend or the one after that. I'm pretty new and have never dove the coast before but would love to try it. I live over in Portland so I would love to go someplace closer than Puget Sound.
Let me know if you're interested.

Dave