Viz Reports Wanted

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Viz Reports Wanted

Post by Penopolypants »

cardiver wrote: THIS LAST SHOT IS A LUMPSUCKER THAT PENELOPE SPOTTED. IT WAS THE SIZE OF A PEA AND MY CAMERA WOULDN'T LOCK ON TO IT. IT IS THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN. THANKS PENELOPE!
You are quite welcome, that was a fun dive! Did you see the stubby squid on the second dive?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The stubby was on our way back in from the second dive at about 30 fsw.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics Ron - and boy, Redondo sure is loaded with critters, even when the viz is crappy.

Keep the viz reports coming - I think a thread like this has value for those who want to "check in" and see how things are viz wise at Puget Sound dive sites. But it only works if we post!

And I would have contributed this week but my neck seal decided to "split", as in leave, be done, I've had it, see ya later, bu bye! :violent1: The good folks at A2Z do have it repaired (in less than a week!) \:D/ so hopefully I'll be back in the water soon.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Langley Tire Reef, Friday 8th, morning. 5' first twenty feet, then decent 20-25 feet on the reef, "snot" floating through in all depths.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jan K wrote:Langley Tire Reef, Friday 8th, morning. 5' first twenty feet, then decent 20-25 feet on the reef, "snot" floating through in all depths.
:bounce: Oooo! Oooo! :bounce: I understand that floating "snot" sometimes means that there will be a congealing of the particles and a subsequent sinking or washing away, which will generally mean a spate of pretty good viz in the next week or two! :bounce:

(Who would have thunk that I'd ever be getting excited about "snot"?!?) Although before I get too excited your report is from Langley and I'm in the South Sound.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Forgot one pic from last night. First hooded nudi that I've seen!

Image[/img]
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Penopolypants wrote:
cardiver wrote: THIS LAST SHOT IS A LUMPSUCKER THAT PENELOPE SPOTTED. IT WAS THE SIZE OF A PEA AND MY CAMERA WOULDN'T LOCK ON TO IT. IT IS THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN. THANKS PENELOPE!
You are quite welcome, that was a fun dive! Did you see the stubby squid on the second dive?
Thank you Penelope! If it was not for you, we would definately have missed it. It was at something like 85 feet!
My first thought was "We came down to 85 feet to see that tiny thing?" Be it small or not Penelope came through for us! =D>
And now I can say after dive # 216, I finally saw a Lumpsucker! \:D/ :occasion5: Excelent pictures Ron! =D>
Yes, The stubby Squid was on our second dive. It was the largest Stubby Squid I've ever seen! About the size of your average Computer Mouse.
We also saw the Hooded Nudi on the second dive. Vis was terrible but we saw alot of stuff,{On both dives} including a very large Rat Fish. I was watching this little wormy thing about three inches long. It had thousands of little legs and it was going nuts and then, I saw the Rat Fish eat it. That was cool! :supz: We also saw a few larg Dungies but they were both female.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I forgot about the ratfish, Keith! Deffintely the biggest one I've ever seen, too. I was still laughing to myself today, thinking about the viz while finning back in to the steps. It litteraly seemed like someone had smeared vaseline all over my mask!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I know, Keith, it probably seemed a little anti-climactic. :) I tried to find a larger one but alas. Sounds like I missed a pretty spectacular second dive too.

Great job on shooting the SMB though. That was cool!

Viz tonight was reported to be green goo at Redondo, so we changed plans and went to Cove 2, where it was 10-15 feet.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
fisherken
Just Settling In

Post by fisherken »

Netarts Bay 15 - 18 feet
Life is an adventure not a guided tour.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yea! my suits in for repairs and the viz is crapy \:D/

At least I don't have to sit at home and hear about the wonderful viz at site X that I missed. :smt038
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Penopolypants wrote: Great job on shooting the SMB though. That was cool!
Yes Thanks For helping me with the SMB. I still need some practice, but it went better than my first try.
Crappy Vis didn't make that any easier. But I could see in certain situations where someone might need to shoot a tube if the vis was that bad on a open water/boat dive.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! It helped alot!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

Did the Alki Pipeline yesterday afternoon. A nice 1h27min dive.

Viz was up to 25' at times, down to 8' or so in murky clouds brought by the current. But overall, I was able to see the sun's reflection on the surface for most of the dive.

First time there - that's a very neat site full of life! And very colorful as it's fairly shallow. Lots of orange sea pen which were really shining under the sun.
- Benoit.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Skyline Wall and Keystone today -- Two beautiful dives, full of color, and the viz was at least 20 feet at both sites.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

7/9/08

DIW - vaired, but roughly 20'

Fox Island West Wall - 5' down to about 20fsw, gradually opened up to 15-20' at 50fsw
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

lake was good vis today. serious themocline right at 40 feet.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Waterman's Wall was probably 10-20 down at depth (150 or so), less close to the surface.

Bainbridge Island fingers had a snotty 15-20 or so, maybe a bit less in places.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage »

Dove the Possession Point Ferry yesterday (8/10), viz was ~30' horizontal. Could see the surface shimmer at 50' during a mid-water stop. Great dive, lotsa fun.

My son snapped a couple of shots of this poor fellow, ouch!
Attachments
PICT0127.JPG
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Owen Beach 8/7 5-10 ft at depth
Owen Beach 8/8 10-15 ft at depth
Sunrise 8/10 15-20 ft
Sunrise 8/11 15-20 ft
Day Island Wall 8/11 15-20 ft (best guess since it was a night dive...hehehe)
Owen Beach 8/12 5-10 ft at depth
Jenn
aquaholic24
Just Settling In

Post by aquaholic24 »

We did Redondo last night after work--viz was CRAP! (Plus a lot of getting knocked about by waves!) So is there really no better way to predict visibility other than just turning up at the water to see how it is? (Sorry, I'm new PNW diving and I'm trying to sort out how to best plan my trips!)
"Here's a good tip for when you go to the beach: A sand dollar may look like a nice cracker that someone left, but trust me, they don't taste like it."

Jack Handy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

TTN, Thursday the 14th, 15' shallow, 25-30' at depth. Pretty nice, actually, especially for a very low tide!
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Edmonds Oil Dock Wednesday evening (Aug 13th) between 6-7pm: Anywhere from 10-25ft. Worse close to shore, better at the T.
aquaholic24
Just Settling In

Post by aquaholic24 »

Thanks, Tom Nic, for the info--we tried TTN for the first time last night and it was spectacular! Vis was easily 20-30 feet once we got down a bit (around 40 feet and beyond) Saw several ratfish and a red octo along with tons of other cool critters!! Very cool. We'll definitely be diving here again!
"Here's a good tip for when you go to the beach: A sand dollar may look like a nice cracker that someone left, but trust me, they don't taste like it."

Jack Handy
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Bassman and I did a dive at 3TN last night at 1900. Viz was crappy above 30 fsw but opened up to around 20 fsw at depth.

[/img]Image

-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

We dove the Mukilteo Oil Dock last night for a crab run. Vis was 20 - 25 ft once we got away from the snot that was built up close to shore.

This was our first time diving the oil docks. I have never seen so many crabs and ratfish in one place. The crab hunt was almost spooky and reminded me of a scene in War of the Worlds (Spielberg version) in how we would hover over the top of the colonies, scoop up a crab, check it's sex, measure it, and throw it in the bag. The oil dock itself is a cool divesite and I plan on doing it again just to check out the marine life in the pilings.