Big Buddy/Club Dive - Redondo, August 16th!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Big Buddy/Club Dive - Redondo, August 16th!

Post by Grateful Diver »

The more the merrier!

I'm planning to bring a canopy as well ... and three folding chairs ... and a BBQ grill ... some folding tables might be nice, if anybody's got some small ones they can bring.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

I'm gonna miss this one. I will be with friends and family celebrating my Aunt & Uncles 50th wedding anniversary! In today's more than 50% divorce rate ways, it's awesome to see a couple reach this milestone. Hpe you all have an awesome day of diving!!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:I'm gonna miss this one. I will be with friends and family celebrating my Aunt & Uncles 50th wedding anniversary! In today's more than 50% divorce rate ways, it's awesome to see a couple reach this milestone. Hpe you all have an awesome day of diving!!
That is indeed something to celebrate. Sorry to hear you won't make it...............
Sheri
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sheri »

Count me in for fruit, at least one bag of Pirate Booty, and a few cookies. Yay! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sheri wrote:Count me in for fruit, at least one bag of Pirate Booty, and a few cookies. Yay! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Pirate Booty? :dontknow:

Do I dare ask. :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

BASSMAN wrote:
Sheri wrote:Count me in for fruit, at least one bag of Pirate Booty, and a few cookies. Yay! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Pirate Booty? :dontknow:

Do I dare ask. :smt064
It's like this :bootyshake:

but there's a parrot on it.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Cindy and I will be there!
We have a 10 X 10 canopy we'll bring along as well as some folding chairs. If it isn't already taken, we'll sign up to bring a cooler full of water and assorted beverages.

We look forward to meeting everybody and having a great time! :partyman:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

The BBQ in a Subaru includes three folding tables, but extras would be nice. I seem to recall that we had chips on every surface including the ground last time. :) I'll have an extra folding chair too.

It looks like it's going to be sunny and warm on Saturday, so shade will be much appreciated.

Ooh, and since it is going to be warm, please be aware of the potential for overheating. Socialize, set up your gear, get your buddies squared away, and then put on your exposure protection last. There are showers that you can go stand under to cool off if you start to overheat. Please don't be macho about it either, all that sweat will turn to ice water in the water anyway and heat strokes kinda suck. Just sayin'.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Penopolypants wrote:There are showers that you can go stand under to cool off if you start to overheat. Please don't be macho about it either, all that sweat will turn to ice water in the water anyway and heat strokes kinda suck. Just sayin'.
Aw Mom, I don't want to take a shower :violent2:
Got Water?
oregondiver
Submariner

Try out backplate systems?

Post by oregondiver »

On another discussion under SCUBA stuff...there is talk about back plate systems and that folks might be willing to let me try out their setup.

So..if I could put in a request, may I try out someones back plate system on Saturday? Sounds like there are some great systems, and different price points, but also different comfort points (crotch straps y/n?). I am such a visual person, I could read all day, but seeing it acutally in use would be really helpful.

Thanks.S hell
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'll bring both a spare BP/W setup and a spare long-hose regulator setup for anyone who wants to try them out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I am a second on that request to "audition" a BP/W set-up.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I can't remember if I said I was going to this or not, But If I do, I'll bring another canopy just in case the 7 or so that are going to be there aren't enough, and a couple of folding chairs.

I probably won't go. Whenever Joe is not there, I end up being the Stupid one. #-o And people laugh at me. :evil4: And I cry. :crybaby:

Or maybe I will. I dunno............ :dontknow:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

So where are we gonna put all these canopies, BBQ grills and people? Are we gonna take over a piece of the north beach?

I'd recommend it.

... Bob (Grateful DIver)

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I will bring Pasta Salad, a big old bowl of it. will there be plates and forks available? I also have two chairs i will bring. I forget how to get there though. where can i find directions. this is very important because i have Grateful Divers bottom timer and i told him i will bring it to him but forgot to ask him how the heck i get to the redondo beach.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Maverick wrote:I will bring Pasta Salad, a big old bowl of it. will there be plates and forks available? I also have two chairs i will bring. I forget how to get there though. where can i find directions. this is very important because i have Grateful Divers bottom timer and i told him i will bring it to him but forgot to ask him how the heck i get to the redondo beach.
You can roll with me.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Direx to Redondo for those coming from the Seattle area ...

- Take I-5 south to exit 147 ... 272nd St.
- Turn right at the bottom of the ramp.
- Stay on that road. You'll cross Pacific Hwy (Rt. 99). After that the road will wind down a hill and toward the water.
- When you reach the waterfront, you see Salty's Restaurant.

The dive site's basically in front of Salty's. Find a place to park and look for the canopies.

Good point about the paper and plastic ware. I can bring some. Somebody else will hopefully bring some too.

Sounds like we're gonna have a big turnout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

From the previous posts about who's bringing what.....

I'm bringing plates and utensils along with the BBQ in a subaru (tables/grills/kettle/stove/grilling utensils/knives/cutting board/trash bags/ziplocks/other misc stuff)
Matt's bringing pasta salad
Mav is also bringing pasta salad (we can have a taste-off!)
Kate's bringing potato salad
Bob's bringing burgers
Desieldude is bringing buns and condiments
Greg is bringing hotdogs
Melissa's making cobbler
Sheri's bringing fruit salad and pirate's :bootyshake:
Bill and Cindy are bringing beverages

If it's already been covered, please consider bringing something else.

If you're coming but didn't know what to bring when you first posted, please post that now so that I can put a comprehensive updated list together for tomorrow so that everyone can check it.

Chips are NOT banned. Just...not so many. :) If you, your spouse or significant other is hopeless in the kitchen and there's already potato salad in the mix (thanks Kate!), chips are cool. As are store bought cookies and other snacks. Mm....cookies and snacks......

Last time we set up the tables and grills in the parking lot, but given the temp prediction for Saturday, I like Bob's suggestion that we set up on the beach. I'll try to find my blinking devil horns so that people can recognize me if you don't know me already, wherever we are. Also look for my blinding green undergament and dry gloves.

I've had several people let me know that they were graciously willing to bring extra bp/w setups and long hose setups for others to try, so if you've always wanted to try one, now is your chance!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Wonderful, I am excited to just check out the systems even if I won't get to try to dive one. Thanks for setting this event up!

I will be bringing home made banana nut bread, and zuchini bread (forgot to add the nuts to that loaf I think). ](*,)
I will also bring a few chicken dogs just in case as well. I will bring at least two chairs.
Shell
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:Matt's bringing pasta salad
aw, sookiesookie! it's on, mav!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Oh ... and I'm gonna bring my X-scooter down for those who might want to see what it's like. Jabberjaw said he was willing to take people out for short tours (5-10 minutes, so as to give a few folks a chance to try it before the battery dies).

For those who want to give it a try, you'll need a scooter ring ... something to clip the scooter harness into. Those with backplates will have one on the front of your crotch strap. Those with standard BCDs will probably have to rig something.

And you'll need a short orientation before heading out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Dammit dammit DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :violent1: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

I'm sooooooo sorry I'll miss you guys-this sounds like it's gonna be a blast!

I'm totally quitting this band....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver wrote:Oh ... and I'm gonna bring my X-scooter down for those who might want to see what it's like
at first i was thinking that this would be cool!

then i thought about trying to justify the expense of one to my wife. not cool.

but then again, maybe just a taste would be ok. i can quit anytime.

really, i can.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:I'm totally quitting this band....
the price you pay for your art.

we'll be thinking of you while diving.

haha, NOT.

:smt064
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Penopolypants wrote:Matt's bringing pasta salad

Bring it on, I love a challenge, it taste off time :la:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.