NWUE Buddy dive 8/12 -- Edmonds

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

NWUE Buddy dive 8/12 -- Edmonds

Post by LCF »

The fourth weekly NWUE Tweek will be this Tuesday, planning a 7 pm splash at Edmonds. Join us if you're curious about DIR, want to work on some skills, or just want to get out for great evening's diving!

Here's the group:

http://www.nwunderwaterexplorers.org/NWUE/Home.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nwuebuddygroup

Hope to see lots of people there!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Re: NWUE Buddy dive 8/12 -- Edmonds

Post by Jabberjaw »

Hi Lynne,

Is the tweek at the Oil Docks or the UWP. Also is anyone bringing a scooter? I am going to try and make it.

Greg
Got Water?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Hi Greg,

At the park, not the oil docks-not sure about scooties, I think most are swimming.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

I could really use a scoot buddy. I have a foot that doesn't like alot of swimming just yet. Also if the LA visiter wants to see the park what better way to see the whole park.

Greg
Got Water?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm fairly sure that Claudette will be scooting with somebody . . . I think she's forgotten how to swim, honestly.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

If they do not mind a third I would like to join them Tuesday. Count me in.

Greg
Got Water?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, I think we are going to have a pretty good turnout tonight, including some folks scootering and some folks coming to work on skills, and some folks for some mentoring, and some folks just plain old diving!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That was fun! I'd never dived EUP before; and we had a good time- thanks for the tour, Bob! One highlight was the tiny Puget Sound King Crab we saw on.....uh......something or another, out by the Triumph somewhere! Maybe the size of a quarter, and bright orange. That was cool- I've seen them in Canada, and one in the San Juans, but never around here.
It was good to actually meet a few of you, too.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I also had a good time scootering for the first time. I got to get one of those. Soon.

It was nice to meet you Lynne, I like to put a face with screen names. see you guys next time.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nailer99 wrote:That was fun! I'd never dived EUP before; and we had a good time- thanks for the tour, Bob! One highlight was the tiny Puget Sound King Crab we saw on.....uh......something or another, out by the Triumph somewhere! Maybe the size of a quarter, and bright orange. That was cool- I've seen them in Canada, and one in the San Juans, but never around here.
We were told NOT to go to that thingamajig! DAMN! Stupid rules!

Definately not high on my list of favorite dives. My neck seal had me soaked all the way to the ankles after an hour! Plus, I was tired from the marathon surface swim navy seal tryout prior to Joe insisting that we submerge already so that we could dive. It sure was cool to see everyone there though eh?
Last edited by Pez7378 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:That was fun! I'd never dived EUP before; and we had a good time- thanks for the tour, Bob! One highlight was the tiny Puget Sound King Crab we saw on.....uh......something or another, out by the Triumph somewhere! Maybe the size of a quarter, and bright orange. That was cool- I've seen them in Canada, and one in the San Juans, but never around here.
We were told NOT to go to that thingamajig! DAMN! Stupid rules!
Uh.....I don't think we were at the forbidden thingamajig, just at some other thingamajig! Heck, I dunno- I had a compass heading to shore, but I was just following Bob most of the time!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

By my count, we had TWENTY-TWO people out diving tonight! We had rebreathers and scooters and HID lights and Liquivisions and tons of fun. Edmonds served up marginal viz and enormous cabezons with equal abandon. Our dive was amusing, as I listened to the whir of distant scooters . . .

It was fun meeting some of you guys whose posts I've been reading for a long time, but the best part was getting a whole bunch of folks out diving.

Next week, I want somebody to do ascent drills with me. One of you guys must deserve some penance, right?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Josh and I didn't go to "the forbidden thing" ... we did Jetty Way to Cathedrals (that's where we found the PSKC baby), to the Triumph ... then pretty much a diagonal heading back to the jetty. Great dive. On the way in, pretty much a night dive by then, Josh signaled me and pointed down. Swimming straight underneath him (in 12 feet of water) was one of the biggest ling cod I've ever seen ... perhaps 5 feet long ... slowly patrolling the eel grass.

Before everyone else got there, I did an earlier dive with Cheng. WE went out to "the forbidden thing" ... which I'm not convinced is all that forbiddden since people dive it all the time. She was doing her first dive in her new Fusion drysuit ... which she loves ... and her new Jet fins ... which she's non-committal about since it was her first dive ever in non-split fins. It'll take her a few dives to get used to them, but since she's primarily a frog-kicker anyway I think she's going to decide they're the way to go. The dry dock was eerily lovely with all the bull kelp stems twined around each other like tree trunks and a gigantic "canopy" of kelp leaves hovering 10-15 feet above us ... it was like swimming through a jungle. We found a grunt sculpin out there, which are also not all that common at Edmonds.

Altogether a great evening. Nice to see so many folks come out to join in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Wow, a PSKC at EUP? GTFOOT.

That is cool.

We saw a dinner-plate sized one in the San Juans last weekend at 140 or so, it was heading west on the bottom as we were heading east in the current, got a decent view of it before drifting off into the darkness.

Glad everyone could make it, work has been keeping me from these things for a while, I hope that changes.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

LCF wrote:By my count, we had TWENTY-TWO people out diving tonight! We had rebreathers and scooters and HID lights and Liquivisions and tons of fun. Edmonds served up marginal viz and enormous cabezons with equal abandon. Our dive was amusing, as I listened to the whir of distant scooters . . .

It was fun meeting some of you guys whose posts I've been reading for a long time, but the best part was getting a whole bunch of folks out diving.

Next week, I want somebody to do ascent drills with me. One of you guys must deserve some penance, right?
Depending on where it's held, I'd be up for some ascent drills. I should have my new Fusion by then, so it'll be a good chance to get used to diving it.

... Bob
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:
LCF wrote: Depending on where it's held, I'd be up for some ascent drills. I should have my new Fusion by then, so it'll be a good chance to get used to diving it.

... Bob
Gawd, I can't believe I'd suggest this, but if people are interested, we could go to ye olde Cove 2 and do some skills work-seems like we've got a good regular crew rolling and have done a bunch of "fun" dives, might be a good day to do a Cove 2 tour with some skills at the end.

I may/may not be able to make it. But, I can still organize, if I do make it, I'm hoping to dive a single tank (Lynne, where are mine?) and can do some skills work with newer divers.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Thanks Lynn and Peter for diving with Cindy and me. It was great to get out and use some of the skills that we've been learning at the Greatful Diver School of Advanced Open Water and put faces and names to the board handles.

We look forward to the next dive and hope to see some of you Saturday at Redondo!

Bill
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Bill,

It was a pleasure to dive with you (and sorry about getting us so far north).

A fun way to spend a late afternoon. I'm just sorry it got so late that people had to leave to get ready for "the real world" and not being able to join us for a very late dinner. (At least I have this vague recollection that I drank something and then ate before I fell asleep.)
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

It definitely belongs in a PM or email and not on a public board. You say you can be social on land and keep trim in the water... maybe you're not clear regarding the meaning of social.
Last edited by gcbryan on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

gcbryan wrote:It definitely belongs in a PM or email and not on a public board.
I'm tired of it. I've asked the powers that be to ban Maverick from this board. I still love him like a brother......but he starts stuff on the internet that I will no longer have any part of. You're on your own, here, BJ.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We had TWENTY TWO people in the parking lot last night. I tried to go to each and every one and say hello, and thank them for being there, because it was "my" dive to organize. But I didn't get to talk to very many people very much. I hardly talked to Chris Lopez at all, although I would have liked to -- I'd love to get to know Chris better. I hardly talked to BJ, except to say hello and welcome. I hardly talked to Richard and Melody, although they are my close friends.

When you have a big group, it's hard to make contact with everybody. When we decided to go for food, a lot of people had already left! And of the few who were still there, several left while we were talking to the ones closest to the truck (who ended up being most of the people who went to dinner).

There is a thing that's termed a chip on the shoulder, and I try very hard not to fall into that trap myself. If you're looking for a certain kind of response from people, then when you think you've found it, you interpret it the way you are preprogrammed to. It may not be at all what the issue is, if there was an issue. Somebody may be tired, sore, ill, distracted, engaged with other people, or otherwise just not there for you. It doesn't mean they dislike you or disapprove of you or are trying to cold shoulder you.

We in the NWUE group are ALL trying to live down a bad reputation and a bad image that people who dive the way we do honestly EARNED in the past. I can guarantee you that nobody went to that dive last night to be rude, cold, dismissive, or in any other way unpleasant.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

LCF wrote:
We in the NWUE group are ALL trying to live down a bad reputation and a bad image that people who dive the way we do honestly EARNED in the past. I can guarantee you that nobody went to that dive last night to be rude, cold, dismissive, or in any other way unpleasant.
Incredibly well said Lynne.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dsteding wrote:
LCF wrote:
Incredibly well said Lynne.
As I understand it, this is one of the key points of the open-invitation tweek dives. I think its fantastic and only wish I could have come to play too. Hopefully soon!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Edge
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Edge »

I was going to post my first reply in over a year - but Lynne said it all. Thank you for the thoughtful words.

Jeanna
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I removed Maverick's post (and Josh's quote of it), because frankly it represented the LAST thing this dive club needs right now. To everyone who got together in person: kudos. I'm a firm believer that knowing one another offline is one way we can all get along. I'm sorry I couldn't be there.

From Hawaii,

Calvin